in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-04-2011 2:17 PM by BillC. 238 replies.
Page 2 of 10 (239 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-17-2011 9:27 AM In reply to

Re: B&O News

There is one thing B&O has not learned from Apple.  If you are going to have an event to reveal a new strategy and a major change in direction, you have to have a cool product to show everyone.  There was no energy here and nothing really exciting.  He mostly stated the obvious such as expansion in BRIC countries and the deletion of two products that are EOL.  He did describe Beosound 5 as a core family of products.  A Windows device in the Apple store?

The other obvious problem is B&O will miss the Christmas shopping season.  Apple will be introducing new iPhones and iPods later next month, new IOS software, and the iCloud.  How will B&O support iCloud?

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 08-17-2011 11:00 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

Its still progress though i believe. Nobody wants B&O to be an Apple offshoot but to ingnore the biggest company in the world, in one of the fastest expanding markets, that is set to establish itself in China, potentially the biggest market is nothing but naive.

New products, new age demographics and a potentially massive customer base should hopefully equal a very profitable B&O with a very rosy future.

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 08-17-2011 12:50 PM In reply to

You heard what TUE said , "Apple expect to sell 40 million iPads this year , if bno had less than 1% of that - they wouldn't be holding crisis talks in the first place !"

Go for it , TUE , you could be the saviour of bno !

• 08-17-2011 2:11 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Flappo, you must be very happy.

After all these years, your wish comes true.

• 08-17-2011 2:22 PM In reply to

SmileBig SmileSurpriseStick out tongue

Yup™

• 08-17-2011 2:26 PM In reply to

I bet Paul Winn will be happy too , anyone who looks to a brighter more modern future for bno will embrace this.

Bno welcome to the 21st century - at last !

• 08-17-2011 3:46 PM In reply to

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

tournedos:

Stock price now at +17%, hovering about 72 DKK with lots more willing buyers than sellers. Which is nice.

US bankruptcy now compensated, but still some way to go to the March figures...

US Bankruptcy now compensated.  What for?

• 08-17-2011 5:43 PM In reply to

Flappo:

I bet Paul Winn will be happy too , anyone who looks to a brighter more modern future for bno will embrace this.

Bno welcome to the 21st century - at last !

is that because they sold a lot of a speaker compatible with iphone/ipad? Humm... that was a smart move considering the market, but for anything else, I do not see any field in which Apple has something to offer to B&O.

Apple is trendy, hype, whatever you want,  but I like to have one kind of plug to charge my products... oups, Apple have a specific one. I like also to be able to buy a phone whitout having to plug it on Internet in order to register it... oups, Apple did it. Oups, I like to have a "normal" azerty keyboard on my laptop, but no, Apple have a specific one!!! (not true for the qwerty... I do not understand why).

I also like a lot of things, but definitively Apple is not the brand of choice for me because of its closed system.

sergio

• 08-17-2011 6:58 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I'm really happy that they see a long term future in audio and acoustics - always their core business in my eyes. I don't see them winning in the digital TV field in the long term. A solid range of audio product from the ground up from audio masters to the Lab5's and their successors is where they can innovate and win. Selling other people's panels in a different package in a theatre of rapidly changing market/technology will be a niche privilege they are allowed to have by the big players - until it becomes a sizable business.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 08-17-2011 7:59 PM In reply to

Puncher, I've read sustained skeptisism of the B&O video offerings over the years and I understand where they come from. The flip side is that unless we're building the TVs, the eco-system breaks down. 

Just today I was talking with an integrator from another company about how category killers like Sonos and, to some extent, Apple have set the pace for distributed audio (once my industry's bread & butter), but nobody's really built a TV in the same way. Video is fundamentally more fragmented and internal apps will just never cut the mustard (or at least none have come close so far). The TV system has to continue to be a hub that can control and integrate whatever you plug into it and there's just nothing like that even on the horizon. 

In my opinion, we'd be wise to scale downt the TVs in price and features and also offer a cheaper less heavily featur-laden version of the BeoSystem 3 that would allow clients to change their screen as they see fit from year to year, but have it plugged into a B&O processor that would focus on integration rather than picture competencies. Then leave those for just our reference TVs.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 08-17-2011 8:01 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

burantek:

Regarding Audi... I spent Monday at my dealer, a fairly high volume one with plenty of inventory.

I counted only two, YES, two cars available with the B&o sound option...

A car that didn't have it? A gorgeous, otherwise loaded-up A8L with a 102k USD sticker.

I thought it was rather strange, but maybe not!

I was at the local mega-exotic/luxury dealer where I also only found a few cars with BeoContent. An Aston Martin Rapide, DBS and Audi S5.

Evan

• 08-17-2011 8:05 PM In reply to

Trip

Interesting thought would you want to see customers buying third party screens which can be updated and integrated by bs3 so that it serves as the av processor?

Vince
  • 08-18-2011 12:00 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Yes, Vince has a point. I feel like most people would be buying an external a/v processor for its competencies rather than integration.

Evan

• 08-18-2011 3:37 AM In reply to

Apple are trendy / Hype ? 

They've been going over 30 yers - in fact Apple started the whole Pc business in April 1976. They've been leading the market ever since - everyone copies them - even bno ! ( check out the portable stereo bno made that apes the mac pro case )

Sergio your posts come over as lame trolling. 

The bno / Apple marriage is one made in hi-tech heaven , a definite win / win secnario , the exposure is priceless - how much would bno have to pay to get that much free advertising ?? Being twinned with the biggest and most influential company on the planet !

As for what Apple can provide - apart from massive exposure - software - something bno desperately need to catch up on. Apple could help them leapfrog their opposition by allowing them access to Lion. 

Personally I can't wait to see what this grand meeting of minds comes up with !

• 08-18-2011 3:52 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

I also like a lot of things, but definitively Apple is not the brand of choice for me because of its closed system.

sergio

A bit rich Sergio, bearing in mind B&O's remote control frequencies which rendered products 'closed' as far as control from other devices was concerned.

• 08-18-2011 3:59 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

"They've been going over 30 yers - in fact Apple started the whole Pc business in April 1976. They've been leading the market ever since - everyone copies them - even bno" 

Come on Flappo, why, having extended much time to compose your comprehensive postings, is it really toooooo much trouble to substitute "&" into bno?

After all you type 'Apple'!

• 08-18-2011 4:23 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

It seems that Apple-fans have difficulties to read simple sentences...
    B&O is NOT going to develop any product with Apple, they are just USING THE APPLE RETAIL SYSTEM! Like B&W, or even Bose...

• 08-18-2011 4:46 AM In reply to

• henrik
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 299
    • Founder

Kokomo:
    Come on Flappo, why, having extended much time to compose your comprehensive postings, is it really toooooo much trouble to substitute "&" into bno?

Haha, that thought has crossed my mind. :) ...and if one doesn't want to use "&", "boo" would be more correct since "&" should be thought of as "og" ("and" in Danish) :)

On topic: I liked the statement on audio quality, sounds promising!

• 08-18-2011 4:59 AM In reply to

• jonnyb
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 123
    • Bronze Member

Do we know this for sure mbee? What about the three products under the black cloths in the presentation? They didn't state explicitly one way or the other what these were or whether they might be collaborative products.

I think that either way, B&O have to embrace a closer working relationship with Apple at least in terms of licensing things like Airplay, Apple lossless, iTunes etc. I want to buy more B&O stuff - I really do, but it needs to fit in with how I buy and listen to music now. If it doesn't, then there's no reason to move from my current set-up.

• 08-18-2011 5:21 AM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Originally in January, 2011, there were 6 new products to be introduced this year.

Counting the Earset 3i, and now the Encore, there are 4 new products remaining.

Regarding one of the posts above, when one considers the investment, energy, and software involved, I'm quite sure Beosound 8 was developed with Apple.

• 08-18-2011 5:26 AM In reply to

• jonnyb
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 123
    • Bronze Member

It's just that the glacial pace of B&O design and R&D meant that the Beosound 8, B&O's first venture into Apple dock products years after others had been on the market, meant that it was released just as Apple announced Airplay and the rug was pulled from under it.

• 08-18-2011 5:44 AM In reply to

I do suspect that B&O wasn't even aware that Airplay was going to be licensed. Knowing Apple, they have probably worked with a few partners before making this public.

• 08-18-2011 5:44 AM In reply to

Question:

Does the encore play apple lossles and AAC the standard iTunes files? 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 08-18-2011 6:01 AM In reply to

• jonnyb
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 123
    • Bronze Member

I believe the Encore plays AAC but not Apple Lossless

• 08-18-2011 6:14 AM In reply to

jonnyb:

I believe the Encore plays AAC but not Apple Lossless

Bummer... Indifferent

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

Page 2 of 10 (239 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »