in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-11-2007 5:45 PM by sajpratty. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-06-2007 4:11 PM

Beogram 1100 turning slow

SmileHi,

As you've probably guessed I'm new to the world of turntables...

Recently got hold of a Beogram 1100 on ebay. 33's seem to play fine but when i try to play 45's the table turns way too slowly. i had a look at the belt and it seems pretty loose, although i don't know how much tension it's meant to have.

Does anybody know if there's a speed adjustment mechanism on this model, or is the problem something else?

Any help with this would be good!

Thanks! Smile

• 07-06-2007 4:45 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: Beogram 1100 turning slow

Hi cakeisnice & welcome to Beoworld

hopefully it's just the belt (a real possibilty) but these are ageing machines and there are a number of components which could be responsible. I would change the belt 1st - member Dillen (Martin) may be able to supply you with one and is something you should do anyway with a vintage deck. Once this is done then you will have a good starting point if the problem persists.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 07-06-2007 5:15 PM In reply to

Chris is quite correct, it is almost always the belt on these models. I had one of these a few years ago with the same symptoms, changed the belt, problem solved.

You will probably find that your 33 is a bit slow as well. Most noticeable on piano notes.

Contact Dillen, he will most definately sort you out!

Regards Graham

• 07-06-2007 5:53 PM In reply to

Thanks, I'll try changing the belt as soon as i can get one.

Is it difficult or is it a case of just sticking the new belt in?

• 07-06-2007 6:08 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Pretty straightforward.

I see you've already gained access which is the most difficult part! (as you've noticed it's slack) - so yeah just pull it off and stick another one on. There are no tensioners or anything else daft to worry about.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 07-07-2007 11:30 AM In reply to

i've tried to message dillen but i'm not sure if i've got the right person as i've had no reply yet. Could someone tell me how i can get in touch with him?

Thanks,

Chris

• 07-07-2007 11:49 AM In reply to

I am sure he will answer. He may be away from his computer. You could try through ebay. His ebay name is dillen_de

Regards Graham

• 07-07-2007 12:00 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

I don't have any of the round (cross section) belts but the problem is probably not the belt in this case.
    I would check out the speed selecting mechanism, it tends to seize with age and will require cleaning and relubrication.

You need to have a look below decks and watch the motor, idler wheel, selector etc. and look for something not working correctly. You'll get a good idea how it's supposed to work when you look at it.

Martin

• 07-07-2007 6:20 PM In reply to

thanks for all your help so far.

my next step is to get hold of a belt and see if this solves the problem. if not i'll start looking for local repair shops as i'm pretty sure i won't be able to do any cleaning or maintenance myself, unless you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks again

Chris

• 07-07-2007 7:13 PM In reply to

actually i'm pretty sure its the belt now. i spent a bit of time watching how all the mechanisms work at both speeds and it all seems fine. i shortened the belt by diverting it over the small bronze/copper wheel instead of around it and the plate span at more than double speed. would i be right in assuming its the belt if this is happening?

also, i found a site which sells the belt for my player but it describes it as a flat belt. i've checked mine out and its clearly round, as dillen says. will a flat one work? i'm guessing not but thought i should check!

thanks again

chris

• 07-08-2007 3:57 AM In reply to

Have you tried asking your B&O dealer. I know it's a long shot but Struer may still have stock!

Every now and again B&O do surprise me with what they do still stock.

Regards Graham

• 07-08-2007 9:08 AM In reply to

If it needs a round belt then a flat one won't sit properly on the drive pulley - I'd expect it would derail and come off.

If Martin cannot supply,  and if your dealer fails to come thru, in your place I would try http://www.bang-olufsen-service.co.uk/ - they supplied me with a cassette belt that Martin didn't currently have in stock. After that, I would try http://www.gummimeyer.de/ because I was able to get round belts for my BG1000 and BG1202 from him - he doesn't list the BG1100 but it occurs to me that the belt might be the same???

As a very last ditch resort, the round belt has enough meat on it to let you cut a section out and superglue the ends back to make a shorter belt - nasty thing to do, but it does work.

Good luck,

Steve 

• 07-10-2007 4:42 AM In reply to

Thanks Steve- I'll definitely check out those suppliers.

However...

I've removed the belt and tried the player at both speeds. even without a belt there is no difference in the spinning speed of the wheels, which makes  me think that it might not be the belt after all!

I've had a quote of 75 quid plus parts to get it repaired (the guy hasn't even looked at it yet) which seems a little expensive for something which only cost £30! Any ideas- is it worth splashing out on the repairs or should I try and get hold of a newer model for the same amount of money?

p.s. cheers for all your advice so far, much appreciated.

Chris

• 07-10-2007 4:25 PM In reply to

Hi Chris,

I've tried to look at a service manual but my version of acrobat doesn't handle it (I don't run Windows). Rather than guess wrong about the exact mechanism involved here I'll wait for someone who actually knows, but judging the speed of the little wheels by eye isn't easy. The decks I've worked on had a mechanical speed change and a strip-down and clean were all they really needed Old grease hardens and goes sticky and then things jam up - no rocket science involved, just patience.

That quote wouldn't tempt me unless it was from a bone fide B&O qualified chap who loves the stuff, in which case I'd figure a tad over 100 for a fully serviced deck set up properly for years to come would be okay.

Steve.

• 07-11-2007 2:04 PM In reply to

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the advice, that's really helpful. I'll check if the guy knows his B&O's. My local B&O dealer may be able to point me in the right direction actually.

You mentioned a service manual- can you tell me how I can get hold of one as I've had no luck so far.

Cheers,

Chris

• 07-11-2007 4:38 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

A new belt perhaps but the main part of the repair cost will cover labour hours rather than parts and 2 or 3 hours will pass quickly.

Martin

• 07-11-2007 5:45 PM In reply to

Hi Chris,

The standard answer regarding manuals is to upgrade your membership here to a level where you can download them. My milage varies with these because I use a Sun Workstation in preference to a toy computer Geeked

Cheers,

Steve

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)