in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-18-2011 5:45 AM by Daniel. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-15-2011 6:00 AM

• Emma
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-15-2011
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Old TV and new mac

I have a 20 year old Bang and Olufsen TV, a Beovision LX6000 Nicam, and a macbook pro which is only a few weeks old.  I want to be able to see what's on the screen of my mac on my TV but I don't know if it's possible given the TV's age.  I have tried using a PC to TV adapter box (which did say it worked with macs) and a mini display port VGA adaptor.  So I can get the mac linked to the box but the problem I have is connecting the TV to the box.  I have tried using the S-VHS port on the TV and connecting that to the S-AV port on the box but where the cable connects easily with the box it was a job to get it to go in fully into the TV and even now there is still a slight gap.  I think that the S-VHS jack must have changed shape slightly over the years because on first inspection it looks like it would fit, the same shape, size e.t.c.  The end result being that the mac would not recognise that there was another display plugged in.  So, my question is does anyone know how to connect the two?  I do have a cable from an old portable DVD player (about 10 years) which has a 21 pin scart on one end and two TRS (if I'm right and those are what the none-technical like me would call headphone or microphone jacks) jack one yellow labelled "video" and one white labelled "audio" which I know will transfer the image from my portable DVD player to the TV screen so maybe there's a way of using that?  Or, using the transferring the image of the computer to the DVD player and then to the TV?  If it's any help the jacks on the back of the box are, VGA, Monitor, S-AV, AV (the power supply but that's not much help!) and a strange flippy swith thing which is red with white switches and say On with an arrow and 1 2 written under each switch.  I hope I've given enough info, if I think of anything else I'll post it.

• 08-15-2011 7:07 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Re: Old TV and new mac

Hi Emma and a warm welcome to BeoWorld!

There is a thread about this in the MacForum. http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/34778.aspx

I've connected my Macbook Pro (2009) to my LX5500 (1991) using a special cable. It costed about 65 US$. I had problems getting the S-Video plug into the S-VHS jacket on the TV. It looks like the plastic pin now is a fraction of a millimeter thicker, but it worked with the use of gently force.

On LX 5500 I shall press [SHIFT] [9] to activate S-VHS input. Check your manual for LX6000 for this.

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 08-15-2011 3:03 PM In reply to

• madskp
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 111
    • Gold Member

On the LX6000 TV you can enable the SVHS connector as AV2 from the setup menu. I can confirm from the manual that shift 9 also works.

• 08-16-2011 2:48 PM In reply to

• Emma
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-15-2011
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Thanks.  I still can't get my mac to register the connection though.  I have tried setting the S-VHS menu to both A-Aux to match the AV2 and V-Tape 2 to match AV2.  I have also tried using a cable which connects scart to S-AV plug but I still can't get either machine to register the connection.  I don't know if the fact that the AV1 scart on the TV is broken affects it.  AV1 used to be the scart the video player plugged into but the freeview box works when it's connected to the AV2.  The thing is to get things like video/DVD/freeview box playing I have to press play or turn on the attatched thing without turning the TV on, the screen then turns on automatically.  I cannot do that with this set up, I've tried disconnection and connecting the power that goes to the box but that doesn't work.  Any suggestions?

• 08-16-2011 3:13 PM In reply to

• Emma
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-15-2011
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Ah ha, I have tried the combination suggested on the thread (thank you Daniel).  Now when I press V-tape on the remote the TV turns on and shows black and white diagonal lines moving accross the screen with what looks like writing underneath but it's not possible to read.  So there is hope!  Can anyone tell me how to get from that to the fully working connection?  Currently I'm using the settings with AV1 on V-tape 1 and S-VHS on V-tape 1.

• 08-16-2011 4:18 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Have you changed the display settings in the MBP? It could be that your Mac is sending a picture with a too high resolution for the TV.

First step is to change the settings in MBP so the TV is not set as an extra display. It shall show the same picture as the MBP (called mirror?)

Second step is to change the screen resolution (still in settings in MBP). PAL uses 720*576, but I don't have that option on MBP. I must try which gives the best result. I thnk 800*600 would be best.

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 08-17-2011 1:37 AM In reply to

• Emma
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-15-2011
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Thanks but changing the resolution doesn't seem to make any difference.  I still can' get the mac to recognise that there is another eidsplay plugged in, when I go to systen preferences, displays and click 'detect display' nothin happens.  Perhaps that's where the problem lies?

• 08-18-2011 5:45 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Emma:

Thanks but changing the resolution doesn't seem to make any difference.  I still can' get the mac to recognise that there is another eidsplay plugged in, when I go to systen preferences, displays and click 'detect display' nothin happens.  Perhaps that's where the problem lies?

When I open "settings" (the symbol with gearwheals on, like the interior of an old mechanical clock) I choose "Monitors". I've got a Swedish version so I can't see what menys and buttons are called in the English version.

When I dont have any external display connected to the Mac the window for display settings have two meny button ("Monitor" and "Colour"), when I connect the jack to the MiniDisplay Port an extra button ("Line-up") appears between "Monitor" and "Colours". Under that new meny I can choose what to display on the external display (the same as the Mac or use it an extra display to show more at the same time).

If I tick the box "Monitor doubling" down on the leftside of the window I get the same content on both screens.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)