in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-15-2012 4:03 PM by beolab3beolab11. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-14-2011 2:20 AM

• dueno
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-29-2007
    • bordeaux
    • Posts 147
    • Founder

Beolab 2 or beolab 11 with beolab 3?

never explain never complain

• 08-14-2011 3:40 AM In reply to

Re: Beolab 2 or beolab 11 with beolab 3?

Design-wise, I would say BeoLab 2 with 3 (besides, 2+3=5Big Smile).

Sound-wise, the consensus is: BeoLab 2 for video, BeoLab 11 for audio..Smile

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 08-14-2011 5:10 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

dueno:

For video or audio? You don't say. There's a big difference. My BL2 affected the performance of my BL3s for audio. BL2 is great for movies though. Almost too good. Rocked my wooden floor!

I wouldn't bother adding a BL2 to BL3s for listening to CDs. I don't think the BL11 would make much of a difference, either, from what I've been told? I need to demo a BL11 but my dealer will only give me a unit for 24 hours.

• 08-16-2011 10:02 AM In reply to

• JOV
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-28-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 62
    • Bronze Member

For video or audio? The better question would be: how big is the room? How critical is it concerning deep frequencies...

It's so fun to read in this forum about the problems with BL 2, that it's slow, or roaring or giving music a bad touch, and that subs can be placed everywhere in the room 'cause humans cannot hear the direction of deep sounds.
    Nonsense!
    My suggestion: go to an audio or home theatre forum and read just one or two threads about subs activating the room. It's never the sub roaring, it's the room! Learn from the freaks! First I thought, they were totally mad. Well, many are. But optimizing deep bass is science, simply physics.

You will learn, that subs in conjunction with room geometry are the most critical part in an audio setup.B&O fans spending 10000s of bucks for speakers and wondering the muddy, slow, roaring sound of BL 2...

BL 2 is a good sub. But it needs to be integrated carfully. I don't know BL 11. I think, it could be a little small for bigger rooms. On the other hand it could be much better to use 2 BL 11s instead of one BL 2. Often 2 or more subs sound less roaring, clearer, more precisely, more discreet...

Anyway: you need to test it in your room. Your dealer has to give you both subs.

Good luck!

• 08-16-2011 3:47 PM In reply to

• Style
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-01-2011
    • Posts 40
    • Bronze Member

Standing waves is a problem with subs, you need to be very careful about where you place it.
  • 08-16-2011 4:09 PM In reply to

• hotknife
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-03-2008
    • Solingen/Germany
    • Posts 552
    • Bronze Member

If you do want to add a suwoofer, read about the postings of the PV1 from B&W, it is the best sound and movie subwoofer and of cause B&O style. But to make a short story long; why not save the money from a add. subwoofer, trade the BL3 and go for a pair of BL9? If you are a good customer at your local B&O dealer, ask him to pass a BL2, BL11, some dealer also sell B&W (not many) and of course a pair of BL9.

I have come a way like you. Started with a pair of BL8002, added a BL2 and was was overwhelmed by the sound of the BL9 and sold the BL8002 + BL2 for a pair of BL9 after only a view weeks. Add the price for BL3 and BL2 together and you are not far away of the BL9. Soundwise you are away. You do not need a subwoofer with a pair of BL9.

If a demo is not possible at your living room, give the BL9 some listening time at the dealer before you decide against them.

BeoVision 8-40, ATV2, BeoSound 4, Front BeoLab 9, Rear Beolab 4000 MKII, Beo 4

• 08-16-2011 5:10 PM In reply to

• JOV
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-28-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 62
    • Bronze Member

Well, but I don't think, that a BL9 would have such a deep bass like a BL 2...

I've heard them in a B&O store some years ago (with my own CDs), and sad to say: it wasn't a 7500 euros sound experience... Sorry for all the BL 9 lovers, don't wanna offend you. For me they were too harsh, too analytic and too less voluminous/room filling. To be fair: I've never heard them in my own room.

Oh, concerning B&W: I don't think, that this is an option for a B&O enthusiast.
    For me it's no question, what sounds better: compare a B&W 804 D and a good amp with a B&O BL9 (same price range), and B&W will blow the BL9 away. That's not the point since most good speakers will do this (except for the BL 5).

So I agree: BL9 will be a good alternative for BL3 plus BL2. It depends on your needs and your room.

• 08-16-2011 5:50 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

I think you are too quick to dismiss the BL9s.  Many B&O stores do not set up their speakers for good listening.  I, too, heard the BL9s a few years ago at a dealer and did not think they were very impressive. 

I have been tiring of my BL8000 + BL2 combo and went to the dealer for an extended listen of the BL9s.  After I got a hold of the Beo4 and turned off loudness and turned down the bass and treble to neutral settings, I thought they sounded phenominal.  Very close to the $20K Martin Logan system in the next room (with wall treatments and everything).  I was in love.  However, my wife thought they were too short (and I can see her point since our room has ~18ft ceilings)... and, I really wasn't in a position to spend $12K on speakers - no matter how good.  Although I did not buy, I gained a great deal of respect for BL9s.

The way most stores display their speakers, it is no wonder "audiophiles" think B&O is all show and no go...

Stan

• 08-16-2011 10:48 PM In reply to

Hot knife,

Sorry to tell you this but the correct English expression would be "of course" not "of cause".
  • 08-17-2011 2:49 AM In reply to

• hotknife
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-03-2008
    • Solingen/Germany
    • Posts 552
    • Bronze Member

Beofab,
    thank you for the private lesson. Because English is not my first language, I think someone can tolerate my little faux pas.Hmm

• 08-19-2011 9:11 AM In reply to

hotknife:

Beofab,
    thank you for the private lesson. Because English is not my first language, I think someone can tolerate my little faux pas.Hmm

Hotknife,

Sorry, sorry, sorry. Probably I had to add a 'smily' or something. It was not meant to criticize.

English is not my first language either but I learned a lot from friends, family and co-workers who I encourage to point out my mistakes when I made one. I have learned a lot this way and that is what I was trying to do just sharing knowledge.

• 01-12-2012 5:47 AM In reply to

• dueno
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-29-2007
    • bordeaux
    • Posts 147
    • Founder

so I have a 60m² living room with a beocenter 9300 + beolab 3

actually I have no B&o TV, I have a pioneer plasma and the stereo aux of the plasma goes to the A.aux entry of the beocenter.

so beolab 11 or beolab 2 for music and some bluray??

• 01-12-2012 7:02 AM In reply to

• hotknife
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-03-2008
    • Solingen/Germany
    • Posts 552
    • Bronze Member

And the pair of BL3 is able to fill your living room with 60m2???

If I were in your shoes, I would trade the BL3 and buy a pair of BL9. I know, your question was BL2 vs BL11.

So, however BL11 for music, BL2 for movie. But there is no way to give you a 100% suggestion. To be sure, you have to ask for a demo in your living room for the combo

1, BL11

2, BL2

3, B&W PV1 (if you like a good subwoofer for music and movie with good adjustment options)

4, BL9

But to keep a short story long - go for the BL9 and will do not have any problems.

• 01-12-2012 8:07 AM In reply to

I have 4 BL3s and a recently added BL11. Interesting is that now it seems as more bass is coming from the BL3s than earlier. Perhaps the deepest music take the BL11 way and the mediumbass more easily goes via BL3.

Some tunes are more videly spread in the tonespectrum. I haven´t had som much time to look at BR movies yet.

Brgds Ingvar

Collector since 1996, BS5/BM5, BL3*4, BL11, BEO6, BV10-46, BL2000, MX4002, Beocom6000, Beotalk1200

• 01-12-2012 9:29 AM In reply to

• dueno
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-29-2007
    • bordeaux
    • Posts 147
    • Founder

I think you are right!!!

for the price of beolab 3 and beolab 2 second hand I can have beolab 9 second hand!!!!

• 01-15-2012 4:03 PM In reply to

I had a pair of Beolab 3's connected to my TV in a stereo configuration for about six years.  I was happy with the improvement over the built-in speakers included with the TV; however, I still was missing some bass.  I tried recently adding a subwoofer from a different company, but I wasn't happy with the result when listening to music and returned the subwoofer.  I couldn't discern the types of instruments in the music producing the low bass sounds.  I attributed this effect to possibly a gap in frequency response between where the BL3's dropped off at the low end and the subwoofer dropped off at the high end;  that is, maybe I had lots of low bass but was missing high bass.  Anyway, I reasoned that maybe I needed a "smaller" subwoofer which might do better at the high bass.  So I decided to try the Beolab 11.

Well, the BL11 made a very nice addition to the BL3's.  Music of all genres sounds very good, and I really appreciate the extended "intelligible" bass.   Great sound in a compact system that can be connected directly to my TV without an amplifier is exactly what I wanted.  I would guess that the Beolab 9's should sound better yet as there would be a subwoofer for each speaker and perhaps even better matching of frequency response (my speculation because I have not actually heard a BL9).  But if you value a minimalist system, this BL3 + B11 is a great sounding option. 

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)