in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-13-2011 5:20 AM by 355f. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-12-2011 5:10 AM

Bang & Olufsen will present new corporate strategy on the 17th of august.

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/press-conference-17-8-11

Speculation?

• 08-12-2011 5:38 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

Re: Bang & Olufsen will present new corporate strategy on the 17th of august.

All new products to have an "I" infront of themWhistle

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 08-12-2011 5:53 AM In reply to

Chris:

i+1 = j ?

i+B+0 = k ?

jGram 5005

kLab 5

Laughing

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 08-12-2011 5:59 AM In reply to

BS8 bracket for Triumph motorcycles.

B&O/ Triumph branded crash helmets with integral sound systems.

Chris:

Capitulation to Apple.

Introduction of PIN protection to BV10, and strategy to market all B&O as riot proof (with a 6 month custody voucher with every product).

More seriously, if the market is shrinking I wouldn't be surprised if there was a change in strategy regarding the stand-alone shop model and also a move to lower selling price (but still high margin) products, maybe with a more integrated marketing approach with Apple for the lower cost Apple related products.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 08-12-2011 6:11 AM In reply to

I hope it is not an EXIT strategy Super Angry

• 08-12-2011 6:47 AM In reply to

PhilLondon:

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/press-conference-17-8-11

Speculation?

My bet is:

• More "intro level products" to attract younger crowds to the brand (Beosound 8 proved succesful)
    • More cooperation with hotel and car industry. Will expose the brand to a wider audience.
    • Maybe more upgrade options on Beosund 5 type of products, so that the nice (expensive) package can follow the development of technology that is moving so rapidly.  
    • Likely to drop CD based players. Maybe (I hope) keeping Beosound 9000 as an icon.
    • Focus even more on TV:s. (wider pricerange, entry level products, more different designs)

Happy owner of: BV10, 2 x Beocom 2, Beocom 6000, Beocenter 2, Beolab 3, Beolab 2000, Beo4, Beolab 11

1:st prize winner Beoworld January Price Draw.

• 08-12-2011 7:24 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Hiort:

My bet is:

• More "intro level products" to attract younger crowds to the brand (Beosound 8 proved succesful)
    I think this is essential. The guy who works for me is 27, is interested in a set of B&O speakers, but won't set foot in the current stores. They are a bit overwhelming for people on an average income. People who could buy the odd B&O product here and there, but don't really feel welcome in the store(s) - they feel that you need to be very rich to walk in to a B&O store and look the part. Rubbish. 

But that's the perception and the traditional B&O customers are, frankly, getting older and older. It's generally an audience of 40+ year olds. They need to widen this out, get a younger generation in to the brand and work on a strategy from there.

Hiort:
    • Focus even more on TV:s. (wider pricerange, entry level products, more different designs)
    I disagree, slightly. Why? Simply as the B&O TVs are not cost competitive and the gap is getting wider. The BV10 was meant to be a TV for the average purchaser, but the BV10-46 is £9000. Whereas other TV manufacturers have a couple of hundred pounds difference between their 40" and 46", B&O have thousands of pounds between their 40" and 46" TVs!
    I do wonder how they are going to change this around. How would you price up an entry level B&O 46" TV when the BV10 is £9000? If it was, say, £4000, what would they remove to bring down the price? Ok they could use plastic, but then you start to lose some of the magic of the brand. It's a dilemma.
  • 08-12-2011 8:28 AM In reply to

I agree with many of the sentiments - I am sure we will see development of the entry level product  so that shops can attract business and have regular sales. I would guess that the TV range will broaden still further and there is of course the new link system which will allow integration with other make products. I think they will be more inclusive of Apple but will continue to support Windows devices in particular. Apple is fine but has limitations that are not found in Android and Windows.

• 08-12-2011 9:57 AM In reply to

moxxey:

I think this is essential. The guy who works for me is 27, is interested in a set of B&O speakers, but won't set foot in the current stores. They are a bit overwhelming for people on an average income. People who could buy the odd B&O product here and there, but don't really feel welcome in the store(s) - they feel that you need to be very rich to walk in to a B&O store and look the part. Rubbish. 

I felt exactly the same about walking into B&O stores as a person in my early 20s on an average income. After working for B&O I realised there was no need to feel like this and the sales people in the stores were no different to me in terms of income etc! I still think this is a problem for alot of people however. 

Getting the working early 20s-30s audience through the door is what B&O needs to work on. Increasing the desireability of the brand to young people is the key to success in my opinion, and carefully designed and marketed entry level products definitely need to be high on the priority list.

The televisions, although amazing, cost alot to buy and for most people I would say it is difficult to justify this. Hifi systems and speakers have a better perceived value for money and in my experience of sales and installation for Bang & Olufsen, customers found better value in the audio products.

During my time at Bang & Olufsen, customers who were not millionaires were generally wealthy retired people who have stuck with B&O since the 60s/70s. Very little turnover was attributed to the younger generation/average income customers and this to me is something that really needs to be improved on.

We will wait and see what the Corporate Strategy says I guess!

• 08-12-2011 11:02 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Definitely interested in these entry level products, being a young person and all!

I have never felt the need to dress up in order to browse my B&O shop. I walk in with my cargo shorts, sneakers and striped t-shirt and get outstanding service!

EDIT: BTW, maybe in 20 years when I can afford a BeoVision they will have come to their senses and brought back the 9!

Evan

• 08-12-2011 11:13 AM In reply to

Last May, Tue announced a new "product category" will be introduced in August 2011 and now Tue will announce a new "corporate strategy".  Why is there a change in message or does it all mean the same thing?

It seems certain, there will be a Beosound Air.  Beyond that, I have no idea.

Maybe I don't seem to understand the idea of an entry level TV below the cost of the Beovision 8.  What would this new TV have to offer which would make it so compelling besides cost?  The big box stores have many low priced TVs with more features.  Any ideas?

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 08-12-2011 12:32 PM In reply to

a 50% cut in prices on their tv's would certainly help

£9k for a 46" tv ? lol

• 08-12-2011 12:59 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Evan:

I have never felt the need to dress up in order to browse my B&O shop. 

There's a different culture in the UK. It's somewhat like Bond Street for me. As much as I've loved to, I won't go in to places like Loro Piana, which has a locked door, a security guard and darkened windows. I walk past, but have never gone in (so far). Just feel out of my depth. Even though I'd probably only ever by a v-neck jumper, which is "affordable" (just), it's just the nature of the people in the store. Not the sort of place you'd go in cargo shorts, as an example.

I guess younger people feel the same about B&O stores. In the States, people have more confidence in themelves and their ability. In the UK, young people tend to be less self-assured.....unless they are in groups. As we've seen this week :(

• 08-12-2011 1:01 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

linder:

Maybe I don't seem to understand the idea of an entry level TV below the cost of the Beovision 8

Am I dreaming this, or did someone here say the BV8 was due to be discontinued long term? My dealer mentioned that they thought the BV8 wouldn't be around long term, when I was at the store this lunchtime. They thought the BV10 would be the primary TV and that the BV11 would be a lower cost (plastic?) version of the BV10 design. Speculation, I guess.

• 08-12-2011 1:38 PM In reply to

Wo Moxxey, yes it would be pretty cool if the BV11 looked like the BV10.  Must admit, I won't miss the BV8 or even the BV7.

Yep, i've been in many B&O showrooms and I agree, they aren't the kind of place that you merely walk around - or at least that's the impression that they give off - they are kind of a bit old fashioned, a bit snooty but for no reason.  A good comparison could be like comparing BMW & MINI showrooms.  Same company. BMW very business like inside and not really warm and welcoming. The MINI showroom next door has brighton walls, music pumping out, bright yellow MINI espresso cups, a fridge with glass door showing an array of stylish labelled drinks.  The place is funky to match the car and attracts a young, affluent crowd! It's a pleasure to be in the place.

B&O products are quite funky but have a bit of a dowdy image now. I don't know whether it's the 'upped' prices or if it's just because they are a little 'behind' with the times.

• 08-12-2011 2:28 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Paul Winn:

A good comparison could be like comparing BMW & MINI showrooms.  Same company. BMW very business like inside and not really warm and welcoming.

I agree. I remember walking in to the BMW store to ask about the Z4. Sales person looked me up and down and decided I wasn't serious and simply said "9 months minimum" and didn't bother trying to flog me anything else. Then told me to go on the BMW website and see if I could find a Z4 with delivery mileage!

I did go in to the Brioni store in Mayfair a few months ago. Sweet Jesus, did I feel out of place! Again, a locked door, salesmen dressed like city bankers and suits that are way out of my price range (I have a few Brioni shirts). Unlikely to ever return, even though if they pushed hard, I'd be tempted with a single suit. They didn't push. Got the impression they weren't worried if I decided to leave...

For many guys in their 20s, I guess my Brioni experience is their B&O experience. Or that's how they think it will be.

• 08-13-2011 3:00 AM In reply to

• rxcohen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-09-2011
    • New York, USA
    • Posts 27
    • Gold Member

I think B&O needs two things - a market growth strategy and a revamped retail strategy, at least from my experience in North America. The stores are completely uninviting, and once you make it through the door you are either mostly ignored by the sales people, or there is a general lack of willingness/intelligence to provide any details. If i am spending $20K for a MacIntosh system, as an example, I will likely be talking to someone who understands the product inside out, and knows how to deal with someone who has the means to spend this type of money. This is not the B&O sales experience. 

I must say my experience in Europe was very different (and positive).

• 08-13-2011 5:20 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:

Evan:

I have never felt the need to dress up in order to browse my B&O shop. 

There's a different culture in the UK. It's somewhat like Bond Street for me. As much as I've loved to, I won't go in to places like Loro Piana, which has a locked door, a security guard and darkened windows. I walk past, but have never gone in (so far). Just feel out of my depth. Even though I'd probably only ever by a v-neck jumper, which is "affordable" (just), it's just the nature of the people in the store. Not the sort of place you'd go in cargo shorts, as an example.

I guess younger people feel the same about B&O stores. In the States, people have more confidence in themelves and their ability. In the UK, young people tend to be less self-assured.....unless they are in groups. As we've seen this week :(

Well the store just off bond street closed- even they could not entice wealthy customers. Still 'another' strategy will be revealed but rather worryingly, since the new ceo was appointed we see the same pricing madness taking place; how can B&O charge ever increasing prices, when the technology they are based on is collapsing in price.

You might recal the previous 'strategy' entry level TVs and yet these cost 7-9K for mediocre performance.

And some posters on here wanting the 9000 to stay in the range- ok its an icon but its time to move on after 20 years!

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)