in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-11-2011 6:24 PM by rxcohen. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-07-2011 2:22 PM

• Karla
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-19-2008
    • USA
    • Posts 81
    • Bronze Member

Pc2 and iPad2

Hello to everyone.

Continuing my journey to the dark side of technology (Apple), I have purchased an iPad2 and it is really fun. My question for everyone is the use of the iPad2 and the B&O Pc2, which would be my secondary preference for use if it can be done and I was wondering if anyone had successfully configured this option. Currently there are the three options in my house for the iPad2 integration, of which I will list in order of preference:

1.      iPad2 Airplay to the AppleTV2 – this is great, and our primary feed to the multilink via the Avant, but if someone wants to watch the Avant at the same time then the rest of the house cannot use the Airplay.

2.      iPad2 to B&O Pc2- this would be my secondary option when the Avant is in use, and I would be able to connect the multilink with the existing Pc2 via the Pc2 input. What concerns me is that the Pc2 might not work if it doesn’t have an active USB connection.

3.      iPad2 jack to AUX jack on the BS9000 – this works but I need to install the hardwire jack to the BS9000.

Filed under:
  • 08-07-2011 3:29 PM In reply to

• rxcohen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-09-2011
    • New York, USA
    • Posts 27
    • Gold Member

Re: Pc2 and iPad2

I also just started using an IPAD 2 and it is fantastic. I can only comment to option 3 for music - very nice and simple. And the hideous connector fits into the shaft of the BS9000 floor stand, so what you see is only the cable coming out of the bottom of the floor stand along with the other connectors. I also dedicated an airport for the conection to the BS9000 as my internet connection is in another room - you just have to set up the two airports as master (the one connected to your modem)/slave (the one connected to your internet). 

• 08-07-2011 4:37 PM In reply to

Karla:
    1.      iPad2 Airplay to the AppleTV2 – this is great, and our primary feed to the multilink via the Avant, but if someone wants to watch the Avant at the same time then the rest of the house cannot use the Airplay.

Apple TV2 has HDMI and Optical outputs, so its signals are digital audio, and so I don't think the Avant will process them, and even if it did, it would not be able to put them out onto the MasterLink which only carries analogue audio.

You could buy a DAC to convert from digital to analogue and then feed into the Avant to get local and remote room audio

This option has the advantage that you carry the iPad with you and it is the source and the controller

Karla:
    2.      iPad2 to B&O Pc2- this would be my secondary option when the Avant is in use, and I would be able to connect the multilink with the existing Pc2 via the Pc2 input. What concerns me is that the Pc2 might not work if it doesn’t have an active USB connection.

correct, the USB which is used for control such as scrolling and selecting

which is the big problem

even if you get the audio working you will be stuck on a playlist or have to walk to the iPad/PC2 setup (sort of defeats the purpose!) 

Karla:
    3.      iPad2 jack to AUX jack on the BS9000 – this works but I need to install the hardwire jack to the BS9000.

you will  have to walk to the BS9000 setup (sort of defeats the purpose!) to control the selection of music on the iPad

The other poster's suggestion of an AirpotExpress is an excellent idea:

- works like option 1, iPad is the portable source and control

- some will tell you that DAC inside the AE is inferior, but then you can buy a superior one and insert it between the AE and the BS9000

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 08-07-2011 4:58 PM In reply to

• rxcohen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-09-2011
    • New York, USA
    • Posts 27
    • Gold Member

correction ont he last line - the slave is connected to the BS9000, not the internet. Both would also share the same network name

• 08-07-2011 5:50 PM In reply to

• Karla
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-19-2008
    • USA
    • Posts 81
    • Bronze Member

We have mastered the use of the ATV2 with the Avant to great success through the use of an ATV2, to a convertor, to the Avant, and then out through the Multilink. It works great and all the audio is perfect.

This AirportExpress option to the BS9000 is really intriguing and but I am not sure I have this idea correct in my head:

1.      The iPad2 communicates wirelessly to the AE.

2.      The AE is hooked up to the BS9000, but how? Is there a port in the AE for an auxiliary jack that connects to the BS9000?

• 08-07-2011 6:07 PM In reply to

• rxcohen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-09-2011
    • New York, USA
    • Posts 27
    • Gold Member

Correct - the ipad communicates wirelessly to the AE. From the AE you need a cable that goes from the headphone jack on the EA to the BS9000 AUX jack. If you go to a B&O store they should have one. Sounds Heavenly who has an advert on this site also seems to have one which looks a lot nicer than the one I bought from B&O.

Then on the BEO4 remote you use the A-TAPE to turn on the BS9000 and start streaming data from the IPAD.

• 08-08-2011 12:55 AM In reply to

• Karla
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-19-2008
    • USA
    • Posts 81
    • Bronze Member

rxcohen:

Correct - the ipad communicates wirelessly to the AE. From the AE you need a cable that goes from the headphone jack on the EA to the BS9000 AUX jack. If you go to a B&O store they should have one. Sounds Heavenly who has an advert on this site also seems to have one which looks a lot nicer than the one I bought from B&O.

Then on the BEO4 remote you use the A-TAPE to turn on the BS9000 and start streaming data from the IPAD.

Genius! Pure Genius!  Thank you very much. I will let you know when we get this accomplished.

• 08-08-2011 4:08 AM In reply to

Karla:

rxcohen:

Genius! Pure Genius!  Thank you very much. I will let you know when we get this accomplished.

But if you already have the ATV2 working on the Avant, then from the room with the BS9000 in it try calling up the Avant AV to which you have the ATV2 attached ... and then from an App called Remote (free of charge) on your iPad you can access your iTunes library and use Airplay to send the sound track to the ATV2 through the Avant along the Masterlink and into the BS9000 and its attached speakers !

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 08-08-2011 4:10 AM In reply to

elephant:
    and then from an App called Remote (free of charge) on your iPad you can access your iTunes library

or if your music is on your iPad just use its iPod mode to send the track via Airplay to the ATV2

• 08-08-2011 10:22 AM In reply to

• Karla
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-19-2008
    • USA
    • Posts 81
    • Bronze Member

elephant:

Karla:

rxcohen:

But if you already have the ATV2 working on the Avant, then from the room with the BS9000 in it try calling up the Avant AV to which you have the ATV2 attached ... and then from an App called Remote (free of charge) on your iPad you can access your iTunes library and use Airplay to send the sound track to the ATV2 through the Avant along the Masterlink and into the BS9000 and its attached speakers !

You are correct and that is what we do, but if someone is watching the Avant with the AV2 then you cannont stream music at the same time. Last night we watch Netflix via ATV2 and my son wanted to stream the iPad2 through the BS9000, and it could not be done via the ATV2 while we were using it.

• 08-08-2011 5:03 PM In reply to

Karla:

elephant:

Karla:

rxcohen:

You are correct and that is what we do, but if someone is watching the Avant with the AV2 then you cannont stream music at the same time. Last night we watch Netflix via ATV2 and my son wanted to stream the iPad2 through the BS9000, and it could not be done via the ATV2 while we were using it.

Very true ... and $129 for family harmony is one hunderd and twenty nine well spent dollars Laughing

• 08-09-2011 4:01 AM In reply to

• Bart
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

rxcohen:

You saved my day!! I was using this solution with an Airport Express and a BS3000 but found out that A.AUX doesn't work via the remote (although the Beo4 can add it). It is of course very clumsy to start AUX manually on the BS3000 and then go to my BL2000 and start it also manually. But A.TAPE works also so at last I can effortlessly listen to my iPad's music library!!

Bart

• 08-11-2011 6:24 PM In reply to

• rxcohen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-09-2011
    • New York, USA
    • Posts 27
    • Gold Member

Glad to help - I have been using this for many years (since the laser on my BS9000 is broken) and it works very nicely. I only wish the airport had a better DAC, and would also not occasionally lose the connection (but alas I dream)

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)