in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-07-2011 11:39 AM by Mark . 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-06-2011 9:53 AM

Beosound 9000 Mk1 laser replacement...

It seems my Beosound Mk1 is in need of a laser replacement and B&O told me yesterday they are out of them! HELP! any suggestions/recommendations? I cannot believe I am set to trash my Beosound 9000....have to admit I expected a bit more from B&O...

any advice is welcome...

javier mirandes

san juan, puerto rico

Filed under: , ,
  • 08-07-2011 3:39 PM In reply to

• rxcohen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-09-2011
    • New York, USA
    • Posts 27
    • Gold Member

Re: Beosound 9000 Mk1 laser replacement...

Not an expert but i have the same problem with my MKII and when I checked last year there was no problem changing the laser. And what i understood is that a new mechanism is used, which I would venture would be what would go into the MKIII.

Check with SoundSmith in New York as they do repairs on B&O. I could not get an answer from B&O dealers here - all they said was to bring it in and then they would tell me what the problem is (which I already knew).

• 08-07-2011 4:01 PM In reply to

Thanks for your reply. It seems the problem is only with the MK1s and I asked if it could be upgraded to an Mk2 at a reduced cost, to which they said no (which I find amazing from B&O). They say that the Mk1 is completely different from the MKII and III (?) and that would mean basically substituting all inside. In my opinion, if they are no longer producing the lasers for the Mk1s, the least they should do is offer something to Mk1 owners. Isn't that the whole point of owning B&O..forever? I will call Soundsmith in NY but B&O said they ran out of lasers for the MK1 last month (talk about luck), i believe I am one of the first of many not-so-happy customers as they get the news their Mk1s are trash. The B&O said that I would not have to throw it in the trash...it still works as a tuner...no answer to that one of course.

• 09-01-2011 4:56 AM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

I've never seen the laser on this one, but if you could open it up and email me clear hi-res pictures of the actual laser, I could probably identify it for you.

The only lasers which are really no longer available anywhere, are those in the early BeoCenter 8500, 9000, and 9500. All units after that generation have easily replaceable lasers, not necessarily from B&O.

Once you know what to look for, you can source it from the many ebay vendors offering the correct part.

my email:   yachadm AT gmail DAAT com

Menahem

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 09-01-2011 7:52 AM In reply to

I am not surprised that your dealer says that the laser is no longer available.

You need a complete replacement mechanism.

B&O supply an upgrade kit to convert your mechanism to take the more modern VAM1250 which is the same as fitted to the Mk3 Beosound 9000

Make sure that you quote your serial number to ensure that you are provided with the correct kit of parts.

Regards Graham

• 11-07-2011 11:39 AM In reply to

• Mark
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-12-2011
    • South West
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

If you are in uk, we can do the lasers for you.

Regards

Mark

http://www.av-repairs.com/cd-laser-repair

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)