in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-03-2011 9:27 PM by Michael. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-03-2011 2:11 AM

Criminals!

So it seems that Beosound 5 owners are all criminals. At least in the UK. Or have I misunderstood something?

Legal change for personal CD ripping (link to BBC News)

regards

Tim

• 08-03-2011 7:17 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Re: Criminals!

Sevilsivle:

So it seems that Beosound 5 owners are all criminals. At least in the UK. Or have I misunderstood something?

Legal change for personal CD ripping (link to BBC News)

regards

Tim

Hi Tim, No you haven't misunderstood.

Such 'ripping' has been illegal in the UK for many years and the the government now plans, amongst other things, to make such personal copying legal.

So all those of you in the UK can now sleep more easily in their beds at night!

I'm in Spain and don't know what the law is on this here.

What's the position in Germany? Is such copying legal?  

• 08-03-2011 8:27 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Up to seven copies for private use (that includes close friends!).

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 08-03-2011 8:39 AM In reply to

In Finland, making "a few" copies for "private use" is legal, if the original is acquired legally and you do not need to circumvent any technical protection to do the copy - this means even if you borrow the record from a library!

Blank media sold in Finland carries a fee which is supposed to compensate this for the artists. The copyright mafia keeps trying to extend this fee to hard disks, smart phones, and anything else that could possibly ever hold some sort of digital content.

-mika

• 08-03-2011 8:40 AM In reply to

But in Germany it is illegal to rip any CDs/DVDs that are copy protected.

As often in German law the 7 copies are not defined as such but were mentioned in a court ruling which is then generally taken as a gudeline in similar cases.

Tim

• 08-03-2011 9:35 AM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

This of course is nothing new.  When I was in college in the 1980's and started buying LPs and copying them onto cassettes, I was, strictly speaking, breaking the law.  In the United States, it was illegal to buy an LP and make a recording of it on cassette so that you could:

a) keep the LP pristine by doing daily listening to the cassette instead of the record

b) listen to the cassette in your car

c) listen to the cassette on a walkman

Generally speaking, I would buy a record, record it three times (for home, car, and walkman), and stick it on the shelf until one of the cassettes was lost or damaged.  Each time I recorded my own record for my own use, I was breaking the law.

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 08-03-2011 10:02 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Same in Denmark as in Finland.
    We also have the media fees so we buy blank CD-R's etc. in Germany, which is perfectly legal Geeked

Martin

• 08-03-2011 12:18 PM In reply to

Copyright laws are so murky it's safer to just sit in a room and sing quietly to yourself.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 08-03-2011 1:56 PM In reply to

tournedos:

In Finland, making "a few" copies for "private use" is legal, if the original is acquired legally and you do not need to circumvent any technical protection to do the copy - this means even if you borrow the record from a library!

Blank media sold in Finland carries a fee which is supposed to compensate this for the artists. The copyright mafia keeps trying to extend this fee to hard disks, smart phones, and anything else that could possibly ever hold some sort of digital content.

Pretty much the same in Holland. One of the things I don't get in the Dutch law that it's legal to make copies even if you are not the rightful owner of the content.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 08-03-2011 2:37 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:

Copyright laws are so murky it's safer to just sit in a room and sing quietly to yourself.

Be careful when you do that, you break the copyright law if you sing other peoples' compsitions! Stick out tongue

Beocenter 9300, Beogam CD50, Beocord 5500, Beomaster 3400, Beomaster 4400, 2 Beogram 4000, Beomaster 8000, 2 beogram 8002, Beovox S-75, Beovox MS150.2, Beovox RL6000, Beovox S-35, Beomaster 6000, 2 Beocord 9000, Beocord 8004, Beocord 5000, Form 1, 2x Beolink 1000, Beo4, MX3500, LS4500. Born 1993.

• 08-03-2011 2:47 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

Søren Hammer:

TripEnglish:

Be careful when you do that, you break the copyright law if you sing other peoples' compsitions! Stick out tongue

Not if you've purchased the sheet music!

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 08-03-2011 2:50 PM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

better a noisless hum, then the skys the limit!

tony

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 08-03-2011 9:27 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

Rich:

Søren Hammer:

TripEnglish:

Not if you've purchased the sheet music!

Technically NOT if other people are listening. Unless you can prove it was within an education/instructional setting at a registered institution you can expect SWAT teams to crash into the room from the rafters.

-Michael

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)