in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-01-2011 10:36 AM by moxxey. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (25 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-31-2011 4:56 AM

• docskb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-31-2011
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Beosound 5 works with airplay now.. Setup guide!

The setup is very easy.. You need the latest firmware update on the BS5

Set your BS5 to "audiomaster" yes

Set up an " Apple airport express" to your wireless network, and that is VERY easy! Just follow the instructions that comes with the airport.. 

Buy an  "UCA-222 U-CONTROL - BEHRINGER"  (aprox 40 us dollars)

Connect airport xpress with a 3,5 mm "jack to phono" cable. Jack end in airport xpress.

Connect phono end to "UCA-222 U- CONTROL - BEHRINGER"

Connect UCA-222 U- CONTROL - BEHRINGER to USB port on Beomaster5

Wait 2 minutes and thats it... :-)

Choose A AUX as mode on the BS5 display. (You can just as easely program the BEO 4 to show A AUX in the display, see the manual)

Now turn on iphone/ipad/macbook.. press play on ipod/itunes.. Look for the airplay symbol that appears.. Press the symbol and the music will sound in your B&O speakers..

Cheers

• 07-31-2011 7:23 AM In reply to

Re: Beosound 5 works with airplay now.. Setup guide!

Thanks for your guide.

BTW: For the Beosound 5 Encore you don´t need the "UCA-222 U- CONTROL - BEHRINGER", you can connect the Airport Express directly to  LINE IN of the Encore.

But it would be better if B&O would add Airplay to the Beosound 5 and the Beosound 5 Encore!

Regards

Räuber

• 07-31-2011 8:28 AM In reply to

Why would it be better?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 07-31-2011 8:36 AM In reply to

My guess is that it would be "better" for two reasons. One that there might be the possibility that it could turn the device on and alter the volume as opposed to simply selecting tracks. The other is (and I'm making an assumption here) that you wouldn't have to use the abismal DAC in the Airport Express, but rather the very good and expensive one that you've presumably paid for if you're using a BeoSound 5.

That being said, it would be less useful unless your Active & Passive Kits also had AirPlay. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 07-31-2011 8:52 AM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:
    Why would it be better?

It's a lot easier for you to share access to your wireless network with your friends (and their friends) when your networked AirPlay device is party central.  

• 07-31-2011 10:06 AM In reply to

And don't forget: If I spent so much money for a Beosound 5 or Encore, I don't want to handle with additional converters and Airport Express, which means also additional cables to hide.

So come on B&O: Add Airplay to the Beosound 5 (Encore).

BTW: Hope Trip is right and the DAC in Beosound 5 (Encore) has a good quality.

/Räuber
  • 07-31-2011 12:29 PM In reply to

And if AirPlay were built in, what happens when the inevitable Apple changes/updates/improvements occur and the built in AirPlay is obsolete?

• 07-31-2011 12:59 PM In reply to

Hi Razlaw,

Airplay is only a software solution that only needs a Wifi-chip. This chip is already in the Beosound 5 (Encore) and could be added in the Beosound 8. I have my IPod touch since 2007 and after an update of the IOS last year airplay works fine in my Ipod.

/Räuber  

• 07-31-2011 2:28 PM In reply to

I u derstand that. But who knows what Apple will come up with in the future. There is no guarantee that there will not be hardware changes.

• 07-31-2011 3:02 PM In reply to

I agree with Raeuber. Im convinced BS8 mkII will have airplay. All the other manufacturers are starting to offer it on their seperate systems.  Oh B&O you are boring, I hate play safe people!!!

• 07-31-2011 4:29 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:

My guess is that it would be "better" for two reasons. One that there might be the possibility that it could turn the device on and alter the volume as opposed to simply selecting tracks. The other is (and I'm making an assumption here) that you wouldn't have to use the abismal DAC in the Airport Express, but rather the very good and expensive one that you've presumably paid for if you're using a BeoSound 5.

That being said, it would be less useful unless your Active & Passive Kits also had AirPlay. 

Trip, Does this mean that a lot of your customers are asking for Airplay?  Do they walk out when you say Airplay is not supported.  Is there a big demand for Apple's hobby, Apple TV to be built into Beovision TVs?  I buy Apple products knowing they will be obsolete in less than 3 to 5 years.  I expect to have my Bang & Olufsen purchases somewhat longer.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 07-31-2011 5:24 PM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

Paul Winn:

I agree with Raeuber. Im convinced BS8 mkII will have airplay. All the other manufacturers are starting to offer it on their seperate systems.  Oh B&O you are boring, I hate play safe people!!!

I use Airplay several times a week.  It's a big "that's cool, so what", in my opinion; certainly not worth all the angst.  If B&O really were "play it safe people", don't you think they would actually pay the bounty to have a product whose performance you would not accept unless it said Apple?  Sonos CEO said Airplay "doesn't work very well" just his week.  Bose doesn't harp Airplay.  So it's not really all the other manufacturers.  There are at least a couple who don't mind being hated by you.

• 07-31-2011 6:07 PM In reply to

linder:

TripEnglish:

Trip, Does this mean that a lot of your customers are asking for Airplay?  Do they walk out when you say Airplay is not supported.  Is there a big demand for Apple's hobby, Apple TV to be built into Beovision TVs?  I buy Apple products knowing they will be obsolete in less than 3 to 5 years.  I expect to have my Bang & Olufsen purchases somewhat longer.

No, the majority of my customers don't know what AirPlay is. The few who do seem content that either a) an AirPort Express can be connected or b) you don't need it since your entire collection will be on there anyways. 

The thing that does cause people some angst is the lack of browsability in other rooms and the fact that it's still a very top-heavy solution. Sonos has gained some traction, at least conceptually, in the states and people like the idea of a multi-room system, but the BeoSound 5 is still limping toward perfection on that front and I do believe that it is hindering sales.

I think the high cost of the front end could be justified if it had an unbeatable architecture for sharing throughout the house, but it doesn't so the price tag on the BeoSound 5 seems very unrealistic. 

Otherwise I've never had an issue with the system not having AirPlay, or Pandora, or Spotify, or any other service or feature. There's vastly less interest than an internet forum of enthusiasts would lead you to beleive!

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 07-31-2011 6:11 PM In reply to

• misled
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-25-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 66
    • Bronze Member

The BeoSound 5 shows the Covers on the screen?

BVision10-46,BLab11,BSound5,BMaster5,BLab8000,BLab6000,BLab2500,BCom5,BCom6000,BeoTime,BeoPort,Beo4,Beo5

• 07-31-2011 6:23 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:
    Why would it be better?

As you have to buy a UCA-222 U-CONTROL - BEHRINGER

Connecting an Airport Express is easy. We had this conversation previously. My dealer showed me that USB conversion kit (which isn't small btw) and that's not the solution I'm seeking. I don't want yet another box hanging off my BS5. This isn't the solution for a £2500 device.

• 07-31-2011 6:27 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:
    And if AirPlay were built in, what happens when the inevitable Apple changes/updates/improvements occur and the built in AirPlay is obsolete?

That's irrelevant Razlaw. AirPlay is just a new name for the previous AirTunes! If you supported AirTunes (which has been around for years), then AirPlay will be supported, too. Besides, the Beosound 5 can update it's own software, so it's a moot point.

• 07-31-2011 6:35 PM In reply to

So you are guaranteeing me that Apple will stagnate, and stick with something that has been around for years and never come out with something new? All I am saying is I am unable to predict the future, perhaps you are. But, I do not think any of us truly know what technology will be around in the future that may make Airplay obsolete. And that new technology may require new hardware.

With all the complaints around here about how B and O never changes, never progresses, and stays with old technology, I am glad to know that 10 years from now you will still be thrilled with your 10 year old AirPlay technology and praising Apple for not having come up with anything new, except some software updates.

Do you really believe that the Apple engineers have decided that they have reached the apex of technology with AirPlay and have stopped trying to develop new hardware and new technologies?

• 07-31-2011 8:09 PM In reply to

Not to argue Moxxey's position too forcefully (it feels so dirty!), but the value proposition (or at least one of them) of the BeoSound 5 was that it could change with the times. A BeoSound 9000 was never going to be able to play a 7th disc, for example, but as new features and services came into the market place, the BeoSound 5 could adopt them and keep the customer's big investment more current. 

I have yet to fully understand what's needed to bring AirPlay to a product beyond WiFi capability, but if it's simply software that can run in some sort of OS, then I believe the BeoSound 5 should have it. I may never ever think it's that useful and Apple may replace it with a direct mind linkup a few years from now, but I know that in the tech world you can't just keep saying it's not for us. Clients are doing crazier and crazier things to get music and movies and we need to be closer to the edge than we currently are. 

I have every reason to believe we'll be there soon enough and some of the recent updates point firmly in that direction, but when Moxxey and others lament the lack of AirPlay it's really not an unreasonable expectation for such an expensive piece of equipment. 

• 07-31-2011 11:38 PM In reply to

I've lived with Apple TVs as my only digital music solution ever since the original ATV came out. Now I have ATV2 as well. Both ATVs support AirPlay now, though ATV1 is hacked in order to do so. I actually use AirPlay a fair bit. iPads, iPhones, and iPod touches all support AirPlay through my ATVS and into my Avant and BV8. The sound is distributed via ML to all ML nodes.

AirPlay IMHO is NOT a very robust system. I can't imagine most members of my family having the patience for AirPlay. For the most part, typical users demand something that just works. While I am a fan of Apple, and find a lot of their stuff just works, that's not always the case with AirPlay because it is so dependent on the vagaries of wifi.

For those of you who might be tempted to blame my wifi set up, I have a very strong system, in a relatively confined space, in a not very densely populated neighborhood.

So I'm just not sure why having AirPlay on a BS5/BS5e is such a big deal.

I would prefer to see a really interesting IPad remote control app, so that when BS5e is multi room it can be easily controlled from any room in the house. I would also like to see a video out to a TV screen so that I could see album art and navigation on the screen.

I'll withhold judgement on the Beo6 2-way navigation, but it seems like a lot of development investment for what you're likely to get.

• 08-01-2011 2:29 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:
    I have every reason to believe we'll be there soon enough and some of the recent updates point firmly in that direction, but when Moxxey and others lament the lack of AirPlay it's really not an unreasonable expectation for such an expensive piece of equipment. 

I'm still considering an Encore, Trip. I'm weighing up the pros and cons! I need to buy another device for my kitchen since getting rid of the Beocenter 2 a couple of years ago (no idea why I did that). It's either going to be a new Encore or a pre-loved BC2/BS4, which I'll have to connect to an Airport Express. I want to make that decision sooner rather than later.

One important thing about AirPlay that Razlaw and others may be overlooking - we're not talking about this feature being any primary feature. We're not talking about the Encore only being able to connect to an AirPlay setup. It would simply be another supported network. The Encore would enable you to support NAS, UPnP, AirPlay networks etc. It would simply recognise that network exists and offer to connect to a device. That's the simiplicity - we wouldn't have to do a thing, connect a thing, worry about cables, nothing. The Encore would recognise a NAS and/or AirPlay device and connect! Why wouldn't you want this feature added to the existing specification?

• 08-01-2011 3:46 AM In reply to

• docskb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-31-2011
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

@ moxxwy

No it dosen't but you can control volume on the iphone..

• 08-01-2011 3:48 AM In reply to

• docskb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-31-2011
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

@ moxxwy again :-)

I don't see the usb adapter as a problem.. My Beomaster is well hidden behind books.. Only the BS5 shows.

Cheers

• 08-01-2011 6:13 AM In reply to

Hi all,

the usb adapter is a lousy solution, first because of the low-quality DAC in the airport express. Second point is that no covers will be shown  and no track can be selected on Beosound 5. The Beosound 5 sends only the music signal to the attached beovision or speakers. You will get the same effect if you connect the airport express directly to a beovision or beosound and remote via IPhone/IPad/IPod touch.

A solution could be if you could connect the airport express to Beosound 5 using the optical digital output of the airport express. But there is no optical digital input at the Beosound 5. You would need a "digital-to-usb-converter" to do the job, but I don´t know such a converter.

So I think there is no way to connect an airport express to Beosound 5 (Encore) and using the internal DAC of the Beosound 5 and also be able to select the tracks with the wheel of Beosound 5. That´s the reason why B&O should add airplay to Beosound 5 (Encore)!

At the moment the Beosound 5 (Encore) is nothing else than an expensive remote for a NAS, Beomaster 5, hard disk or usb stick with an integrated DAC. With analogue music signals connected by LINE IN of the Beosound 5 Encore it is only a "pass-through-unit".

Regards

Räuber 

• 08-01-2011 10:33 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

docskb:

I don't see the usb adapter as a problem.. My Beomaster is well hidden behind books.. Only the BS5 shows.

But that defeats the object of buying cool lifestyle products when we have to hide cabling, USB conversion switches etc. Why should I have to do that? The whole point of the Encore - for me - is that it reduces cabling and does everything through WiFi. In addition to the Airport Express and cable, I have to then hide a USB switch box, too. Nice!

I've seen that USB switch box and it isn't small! It's like a small power pack. I couldn't easily hide that box as my Beosound 4 is freestanding.

• 08-01-2011 10:36 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Raeuber:

...the usb adapter is a lousy solution, first because of the low-quality DAC in the airport express. Second point is that no covers will be shown

Correct. Another point for not supporting AirPlay is that, by connecting to the AirPort Express, you simply get A.AUX on the Encore! No usabilty, no album covers, nothing.

Page 1 of 1 (25 items)