in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-23-2012 5:45 AM by Chris. 61 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-16-2011 5:43 PM In reply to

• JC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Yorkshire / UK
    • Posts 621
    • Founder

Re: Favourite non B&O stuff

Guys, had an absolute nightmare last winter with the car. Had to be towed out out twice with my mates 4x4 Mitsubishi. I have thought about garaging it and getting another Land Rover 90 for the winter. So the tyres work????

Jonnie

• 09-17-2011 2:18 AM In reply to

JC:

Guys, had an absolute nightmare last winter with the car. Had to be towed out out twice with my mates 4x4 Mitsubishi. I have thought about garaging it and getting another Land Rover 90 for the winter. So the tyres work????

Jonnie

Oh yes, it makes a big difference. Car control is much better and you're brakes work better too.

You can of course still get in trouble if you drive like an idiot. It's best, as always not to get overconfident. 4x4's still might be useful on very steep hills, though.

I would highly recommend it. In Germany it's illegal to drive in winter without winter tyres and AFAIK the same is true for Sweden, Norway, Finland, Switzerland and Austria. For a good reason.

If you find ice on the road, instead of snow, you're still going to be in trouble, unless your tyres have spikes. Stick out tongue

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 09-18-2011 7:22 AM In reply to

beocool:

JC:

Jonnie

Oh yes, it makes a big difference. Car control is much better and you're brakes work better too.

You can of course still get in trouble if you drive like an idiot. It's best, as always not to get overconfident. 4x4's still might be useful on very steep hills, though.

I would highly recommend it. In Germany it's illegal to drive in winter without winter tyres and AFAIK the same is true for Sweden, Norway, Finland, Switzerland and Austria. For a good reason.

If you find ice on the road, instead of snow, you're still going to be in trouble, unless your tyres have spikes. Stick out tongue

And up here in scandinavia even studded (spikes) tyres are allowed.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 09-18-2011 7:28 AM In reply to

• JC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Yorkshire / UK
    • Posts 621
    • Founder

Think I need to invest!!

• 10-18-2011 5:51 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-09-2010
    • Last of the Summer Wine Country, Yorkshire, UK
    • Posts 195
    • Gold Member

I bought some winter tyres last year for my Mini, I live near Holmfirth, West Yorks and commute to Manchester Airport every other day or so. They are certainly worth it.

Beosound 8, Beotalk 1100, Beocom 4, A8 Headphones, Form 2 Headphones, Apple iPhone 4S, iPod Classic, iPad 1, Sky+ HD, Sony Playstation 3, Jacob Jensen T10, Lutron Rania IR Dual Dimmer/ Accesory dimmer, B+O A9 Keyring (SOLD), Beolit 600 (SOLD), Apple Airport Express, Beo5

• 10-18-2011 6:30 PM In reply to

Chris:
    I bought some winter tyres last year for my Mini, I live near Holmfirth, West Yorks and commute to Manchester Airport every other day or so. They are certainly worth it.

I had a Mini 1969 to 1971, made 2 winters in DK with it, no problems, but my best ever winter car was a SAAB 96 (96 I think, 93 Confused) V4 engine, 15 inch winter tyres, high free space under car and front wheel drive, I went faster through snow and ice than everyone else.

My favorite non B&O item today is my solder iron with temp adjust.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 10-18-2011 7:09 PM In reply to

Jonathan:

Cars are far too expensive here, it drives me bananas Super Angry

Expensive cars -in Australia? Laughing I guess they're not as expensive as here in Denmark...Here we pay for almost 3 cars, when we buy one!!!
    Some a..hole politicians back in the 50's decided to introduce a registration fee at 180% on cars Angry -and all of the politicians later on decided that they could easily use the money Super Angry

At least B&O is a bit cheaper here...Big Smile

• 10-18-2011 7:27 PM In reply to

Hmm -when you started this thread, I actually thought you meant electronic equipment. (maybe you did) Huh?
    Non B&O stuff is very broad - actually everything else but B&O. I have a feeling this thread can go on forever Hmm

• 10-18-2011 7:53 PM In reply to

Steffen:
    Some a..hole politicians back in the 50's decided to introduce a registration fee at 180% on cars Angry -and all of the politicians later on decided that they could easily use the money Super Angry

I imported my beloved SAAB from Sweden to DK 1975, 69 years model, had it in Sweden for some 1.5 year, moved to DK, and to get it registered and up to DK standard I paid more or less the same as I paid when I bought it used in Sweden 1973, but when I moved back to Sweden end of 1976, I sold it in DK for more than I paid for it in Sweden, some 7 years old and with a lot of Kms on the clock. So yes in DK you pay a lot for your car. Here in Mexico when I came here 20 years ago I went crazy with cheap(compared to Europe)  8 cyl Ram Chargers and the like, new cars to discount prices, well today I drive a 6 cyl Honda sedan, and the big gasoline suckers is a nice memory. But 210 Km/hour on the "Autobahn" with a heavy pick up truck was really something.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 10-18-2011 10:23 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Søren Mexico:
    6 cyl Honda sedan

That's what I like to see!!!!! What year?

Evan

• 10-20-2011 6:24 PM In reply to

Its a 2005 EX V6 model, leather, 2 zone air, sun roof, 5 speed aut, Electric chairsLaughing mirrors and windows, cruise, radio buttons at wheel, ashtray front and back, radio with 6 cd, and a friggin donut spare tire.

The plan was to change it for a new one last year, but 2008 we bought a house and at the time of and after the buy, bad times came upon us, still strugling a little but now thing are clearing. The has now run 140.000 Km  (87.000 Miles), did all the services with Honda until 60.000 Km, before the 60.000 Km service It had some problems with getting hot and the air hose from the filter to the air intake was broken, I opened the casing for the airfilter and look and behold, I have never seen an airfilter that dirty, for 50.000 Km Honda never changed the airfilter.

I went to my mecanic who service my work car and now he is in charge, but I have to tell him what to and more important what not to do, the Mexicans allways want to do a full alignment, balance and change around all wheels every 10.000 Km, and when needed to change brake pads they also want to change the brake disks and oaks. They try to get away with it and if a woman is the client sometimes they do.

Only serious problem I had with it was in the beginning, when braking hard running more than 150 Km/h the original disks went bad, and Honda made a guarantie work, no new disks, but a grinding down the bad ones to they were even, next time I was breaking at high speed the same happened and Honda did not want to do this on guarantie, I told them to not ever touch my brakes again and changed all 4 disks to AT with AT pads (did it myself), and never had a problem since. Going up to Texas fom here, I reach speeds up to 200 Km/h so my brakes has to be first class.  I dont go hard on my brakes, I normaly run some 20.000 Km on a pair of pads.

My favorite non B&O item is my solder ironLaughing

• 10-20-2011 7:16 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

That is a great year. I had a 2005 myself. Only This was a 6 speed MT V6 coupe, EX-L. What an amazing car!!!! Devil Those 3.0L 6's can really go. I now drive a 2010 but it is a 4cyl 5spd MT. The new ones are a lot heavier and a lot bigger resulting in less fun driving. Don't get me wrong though - still an absolute joy in driving!

Not suprised about the brakes - all 3 of my Accords (+ a Civic and Pilot) have warped their rotors. Like you, all under regular braking. What I do not understand is my current Accord, it has massive 12 inch rotors and still cannot dissipate an average amount of heat!! If I actually owned these cars, big cross drilled and slotted rotors would be the first mod. 

Being so close to the product and the company, I feel as if I represent Honda and I apologize for your ridiculous product and dealer experiences.

Søren Mexico:
    speeds up to 200 Km/h

Have I ever told you how much I want to move to Mexico?! LaughingLaughingLaughing

Evan

• 10-21-2011 1:08 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

As Mika predicted, the discussion has devolved into a discussion of cars.  Let's change that.  My "favorite non-B&O stuff" is the search for the perfect bourbon to replace my usual:

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 10-22-2011 9:44 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Rich:

As Mika predicted, the discussion has devolved into a discussion of cars.  Let's change that.  My "favorite non-B&O stuff" is the search for the perfect bourbon to replace my usual:

Not so fast! My absolute favorite non-B&O is cars. Speaking of favorites, here are my favorite favorites:

A 2007 Civic coupe in Rallye Red and my 2010 Accord coupe in Belize Blue Pearl. That Civic isn't mine but I had one just like it!! Greatest photo-op ever. What's so bad about cars? Meeka likes cars too! Smile

Evan

• 10-22-2011 10:02 PM In reply to

Rich:
    As Mika predicted, the discussion has devolved into a discussion of cars.  Let's change that.

I agree, but I am not into bourbon.

As objects of art, cars do very little for me ... they are too bound by their mission in life.

Whereas B&O is able to transform their devices (unbound by the basic mission of playing music) into art.

Televisions unfortunatly still carry the dicates of form following function ... except where we can use projectors and hide the offending device.

So my favourite (non-B&O) stuff is music, movies, books (but not audio nor e-books!), art (but not scultures), a broad range of food with good company at home or in special restaurants (special does not mean expensive, it just means a restaurant that has the imprint of personality), coffee in special (ambiance) coffee shops, beer (one reason I loved travelling around the UK - I would always sample their local brews), champagne (sadly it usually has to be French), red wines (mainly full bodied Australian), and Eugene's avatars

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-22-2011 11:41 PM In reply to

I'm very sorry that we turned into cars, but Evan loves his HondaWhistle

I cook a lot, and love cooking for friends and family, my kittchen, yes MY kittchen, has all the kits one may or may not need.

My special is a beef Carpacio, raw meet, a marinade of vinager, Lemon, soya, olive oil, salt, black pepper and a tiny pinch cayenne pepper. 

Upon the meet I put a layer af raw sliced champions and parmesan cheese, pour the marinade over it and place in the refrigerator until serve time, just before serving I dress vith some basil leaves.

Serve with salty crackers or tiny slices of toast. The vine, cabernet sauvignon to your taste or like or price.

• 10-23-2011 8:58 AM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

elephant:

So my favourite (non-B&O) stuff is music, movies, books (but not audio nor e-books!), art (but not scultures), a broad range of food with good company at home or in special restaurants (special does not mean expensive, it just means a restaurant that has the imprint of personality), coffee in special (ambiance) coffee shops, beer (one reason I loved travelling around the UK - I would always sample their local brews), champagne (sadly it usually has to be French), red wines (mainly full bodied Australian), and Eugene's avatars

Yes -  thumbs upEugene's avatars

SadMy art is boxed away in the garage until the next move.  I have original watercolors from local artists from San Tropez, Paris, Rome, and San Francisco.  I miss my paintings.

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 10-23-2011 1:04 PM In reply to

Rich:

SadMy art is boxed away in the garage until the next move.  I have original watercolors from local artists from San Tropez, Paris, Rome, and San Francisco.  I miss my paintings.

Do you collect watercolours of the cities you have lived in or visited and loved ?

We have a few like that ... mainly small pieces (±A5 size)

Strangely not of San Francisco :(

And for Paris we seem to be collecting coffee table books so we can remember districts and street scenes

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-23-2011 7:06 PM In reply to

elephant:

Rich:
    As Mika predicted, the discussion has devolved into a discussion of cars.  Let's change that.

As objects of art, cars do very little for me ... they are too bound by their mission in life.

I agree now, but it wasn't always like that. 50s and 60s cars were pure works of art

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 10-24-2011 5:39 AM In reply to

Jonathan:

elephant:

Rich:

I agree now, but it wasn't always like that. 50s and 60s cars were pure works of art

Very true !

Or maybe in our youth we had rose tinted glasses ?

• 10-24-2011 7:22 PM In reply to

Ed, is your new avatar telling us to learn more but no learning in your library????

LaughingLaughingLaughing

• 10-25-2011 1:22 PM In reply to

Jonathan:

Ed, is your new avatar telling us to learn more but no learning in your library????

LaughingLaughingLaughing

just showing off ... that the iCloud is serving up some of my purchased music between my iDevices

sometimes I am so geeky I scare myself Laughing

here's another view ...

• 10-25-2011 7:40 PM In reply to

LaughingLaughing

Love your work!

BTW I'm thinking of travelling down the Mac Mini path....

What do you think?

• 10-27-2011 6:59 AM In reply to

Jonathan:

LaughingLaughing

Love your work!

What do you think?

Let's do coffee some time next week !

• 10-27-2011 8:09 AM In reply to

elephant:

Jonathan:

LaughingLaughing

Love your work!

What do you think?

Let's do coffee some time next week !

I'm using a cheap E-machines, I was thinking of the Mac mini, as it is easier to hide, but I wanted to try the cheaper solution first.

The result is: The only software available, that I know of, that can handle a big library (I have now some 6000 songs grabbed) is Itunes, even so, after grabbing more than 300 CDs and around 50 LPs, I found songs missing and some bad grabbed, after checking the bad grabbed I found the CDs in OK condition and played throung the same computer without problems. There is no explanation why, on a 20 year old CD there may be missing up to 5 songs and on a, out of the box, new one the same, all was grabbed and converted to 320 Kbs. I have no downloaded music everything is original CDs and LPs, no copies or pirates.

Its not a big count thats missing maybe some 2-3 % but even so disturbing

I had a smaller library on an other computer, just for fast Ipod charge, some 600 songs and there I had no problems what so ever.

Half year ago I got tired of it, and now I play my vinyl and CD music from the originals, I only use the Itunes for playback when I'm lazy or we have a party where you just need some background noice.

Enjoy your coffee

Page 2 of 3 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >