in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-31-2011 9:43 AM by egoh. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-30-2011 2:11 AM

Sennheiser HD650s, Beomasters and headphone amps

I'm thinking of buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s.  However, much of what I have read suggests using then with a separate headphone amp.  For a variety of reasons I would prefer not to go down that route and also none of my local dealers hold the 650s in stock so I can't test them with such a headphone amp. 

Has anyone experience of using these or similar headphones direct from one of the more powerful vintage Beomasters - I have both the BM 4400 and the 8000 - and how did it compare with using them with a separate headphone amp? 

Cleve

• 07-30-2011 3:08 AM In reply to

Re: Sennheiser HD650s, Beomasters and headphone amps

Used HD600s with and without an amplifier (Music Fidelity X-can V3). Not a lot of difference! The HD600s are superb - not quite as good at the very top end compared to the Grado RS-1 but I think the bass is better and you can use them in bed! (You cannot lie on your side with the Grados as the cans have a design which means that resting against anything spoils the sound!)

• 07-30-2011 3:02 PM In reply to

Peter :
    and you can use them in bed! (

Peter :
    not quite as good at the very top end compared to the Grado RS-1

Well Peter, I wasn't planning a lot of bedtime listening and I'm not sure I can hear much above 13-14kz at my age anyway, so I doubt if I could tell the difference, even with a headphone amp! 

Having bought a pair of Sennheiser PX 100s, they reminded me how good Sennheisers were - I think the PXs are much better than my Form 1s and A8s- and for domestic harmony and early morning listening with my Beomasters,I am beginning to need a good pair of headphones.  The HD650s would seem ideal.

Thanks, as always, for your advice.

Cleve  

• 07-30-2011 5:39 PM In reply to

• Andy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2007
    • Melton Mowbray
    • Posts 128
    • Founder

Hi

I own the HD 650 denon 7000 and also the akg k 702 and use them with a BM 6000 and BM 6500 and a pioneer SA 9800 all are fantastic headphones however the sound is very personel Ive used headphone amps and found very little difference. Yes they were mid range priced amps but still 200 to 300.

Ive tried Grados 1000i lovely but very expensive and i preferred the HD 650s !! More comfortable and a lovely sound. Personally I prefer the AKGs at the moment they are a little less bass than the 650s but give more spatial quality???. The aforementioned amps can drive these headphones with no problem at all!!

The denons are closed headphones fantastic and I feel are brilliant with digital music but give me a headache after 1 hr. Analogue no pain!!

Try a few see what you are comfortable with?? You will love the 650s for the price and comfort. How big are your ears?????!!!!!!

Andy

• 07-31-2011 9:43 AM In reply to

• egoh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-12-2011
    • Austin, Texas - USA
    • Posts 77
    • Gold Member

I love my Sennheisers, but not so much with my B&O stuff. In my opinion, the high impedence cans don't sound that great without a headphone amp. Same goes for my Beyerdynamic 880s and AKGs. For these cans I have a custom built tube amp designed around high impedence headphones.

All my Grados, Ultimate Ears, and Shures sound great with the standard B&O headphone output since they are lower impedence.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)