in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-26-2011 6:52 AM by Stephan. 36 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-25-2011 1:14 AM In reply to

Re: The Beosound 5 Encore has landed... unboxing & first impressions

Stephan:

@ carolpa:

Does the BS5E act that other way around as I described, meaning that you connect a UPNP capable NAS with the ethernet RJ45 connection to the BS5E and the BS5E acts as the bridge to the router?

If so, is it possible to "push" new songs to the NAS via the BS5E?

Best regards

Stephan

hi Stephan,

not to my knowledge. And I wouldn't know how to. 

• 07-25-2011 5:36 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

Stephan:

Does the BS5E act that other way around as I described, meaning that you connect a UPNP capable NAS with the ethernet RJ45 connection to the BS5E and the BS5E acts as the bridge to the router?

If so, is it possible to "push" new songs to the NAS via the BS5E?

@Stephan : you're not understanding the Upnp/DLNA protocol. The BS5 connects to the NAS via this protocol as a "media renderer". It does what it says : plays the media stored on the NAS.

For writing on your NAS, you have to use another protocol : SMB, AFP, FTP... This is a "computer language" used for reading/writing files to a NAS.

So if you want to "push" music on the BS5 without doing anything "physically" : copy/paste the files from your PC directly to a "normal" NAS (not Apple Time Capsule), they will be almost immediately seen by the BS5 (or you need to select a menu item to refresh the content, I'm not sure). No USB key needed (that would be so old fashioned to need to put your new content on a USB key just to move it across the living room!).

• 07-25-2011 7:54 AM In reply to

• 07-25-2011 8:56 AM In reply to

@mbee:

That USB thing was just an experiment to find out if the BS5E can read anything connected to the Time Capsule... lesson learned:

" Welcome to the Apple world son, we're closed to standards or define our own standards which will be closed in any case! "

It cant read anything as Apple simply doesn't support UPnP ...

I will get a Wireless NAS drive today / tomorrow and try it out.

Nice explanation with the "computer language" which I'm pretty familiar with as this is my job but not in terms of protocols used at home like UPnP/DLNA :-)

Best regrads

Stephan

Filed under:
  • 07-25-2011 8:56 AM In reply to

How much does the Encore cost?

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 07-25-2011 9:37 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

£2500 in the UK, for the basic product. I don't think that includes any stand, base or remote?

• 07-25-2011 10:44 AM In reply to

2600 € in Germany, Stand 190 €, no remote included

• 07-25-2011 12:07 PM In reply to

Stephan:

" Welcome to the Apple world son, we're closed to standards or define our own standards which will be closed in any case! "

It cant read anything as Apple simply doesn't support UPnP ...

the solution to this problem is to install Twonky Server on your iMac, Macbook or MacMini. Twonky is upnp capable!

It searches the music files on your mac. In the BS5/BS5e you can choose this server as music storage 

mayby one can install Twonky also on a Timemachine with SSH ?? But this will not be easy

• 07-25-2011 2:11 PM In reply to

Stephan:

2600 € in Germany, Stand 190 €, no remote included

OK, what speakers do you use it with?

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 07-25-2011 6:31 PM In reply to

Not sure if I'm missing the point of the BS5E, but it seems like a really complicated product to set up in order to get streaming of music. 

Also, is the audio quality seemingly better because it's connected directly to the BL5s rather than masterlinked to BV7?

So once connected to a main setup, can Link speakers access it?? If it can, then perhaps I may find a use for it, but if it doesn't, then in my opinion, an Apple TV 2 will do the same thing with easier setup?

• 07-25-2011 8:20 PM In reply to

@ bayersche: my loved Lab 5's of course but only the front ones as I am to lazy to wire the rear speakers.. hope they get this BeoNet > Masterlink converter out anytime so the unit can be masterlinked with my TV.

@ TripEnglish: You're simply a man of class, LaCie has the best looking HDDs on the market, I bought a LaCie Wireless Space NAS today and will use this for the BS5E. My dealer offered to help me but I want to try it by myself and find out how it works, part of the fun for me :-) 

@ Oasis: My original setup was BS9000 via digital out directly linked to the BL5 and also both systems were masterlinked, I tried all possible wiring options but nothing comes close to the BS5E in terms of musical quality

An Apple TV2 will never produce that sound, I even tried my MacMini to play Apple Lossless files on my system but in comparison to the CDs it didn't sound that good (MacMini connected via HDMI to the Beovision) 

It was one of my main concerns that the BS5E wouldn't sound good but I am very pleased with it...

Best regards

Stephan

• 07-26-2011 6:52 AM In reply to

"Review" up at engadget.com

( http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/26/bang-and-olufsens-beosound-5-encore-redefines-affordable-looks/#disqus_thread )

Nice to read the comments, always the same B&O bashing from cashless computer nerds with no sense for style :-)

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2