in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-24-2011 7:29 AM by Rolf. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-21-2011 8:39 AM

software update Beolab 3500

Hello,

I want to connect my Beolab 3500 to a master link gateway. The documentation of B&O says that an software update to version 3.3 *6 is neccesary.

How can this be done?

Thnx

• 07-24-2011 6:43 AM In reply to

• Rolf
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 63
    • Founder

Re: software update Beolab 3500

Steelpan, the need to upgrade your Beolab3500 depends on your actual planned usage of the Masterlink Gateway functionality. I have upgraded my whole system including a number of Beolab3500s, but I did discover that the upgrade is only needed if you plan to make use of the full MLGW functionality i.e. light control and homeautomation.

If the latter is required then the speakers (and other system components) need to be upgraded in order to receive and handle the "Light" commands that are used to trigger the various Macros or Commands within the MLGW.

If you "only" want to control the actual B&O components then an upgrade is not in my experience needed (possibly with a very old s/w level).

The upgrade in itself is relatively straightforward and if you are used to electronics and are generally handy then the replacement of the Microprocessing unit is not difficult and I performed it without even taking down the speakers from their positions on the walls.

The only tricky aspect is repositioning the ribbon cable connector between the circuitboard and the processing unit but again with a little patience and skill then I certainly managed without too many swear words.

The replacement unit comes with detailed instructions as to how the upgrade is done.

//Rolf 

• 07-24-2011 6:55 AM In reply to

Hello Rolf,

Thanks for your reaction. I am considering indeed the full MLGW functionality as I plan the installation of home automation (mostly light control). I want to be able to program an call back light scenes with my Beo4  with about the same functionality as the Light Contol 2 of B&O.

How can a replacement unit be ordered? - Can I replace it myself or does it need to be done by my B&O retailer?

I guess the same operation is not possible for a Beolab 2000.

Greets

Rolf:

Steelpan, the need to upgrade your Beolab3500 depends on your actual planned usage of the Masterlink Gateway functionality. I have upgraded my whole system including a number of Beolab3500s, but I did discover that the upgrade is only needed if you plan to make use of the full MLGW functionality i.e. light control and homeautomation.

If the latter is required then the speakers (and other system components) need to be upgraded in order to receive and handle the "Light" commands that are used to trigger the various Macros or Commands within the MLGW.

If you "only" want to control the actual B&O components then an upgrade is not in my experience needed (possibly with a very old s/w level).

The upgrade in itself is relatively straightforward and if you are used to electronics and are generally handy then the replacement of the Microprocessing unit is not difficult and I performed it without even taking down the speakers from their positions on the walls.

The only tricky aspect is repositioning the ribbon cable connector between the circuitboard and the processing unit but again with a little patience and skill then I certainly managed without too many swear words.

The replacement unit comes with detailed instructions as to how the upgrade is done.

//Rolf 

• 07-24-2011 7:29 AM In reply to

• Rolf
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 63
    • Founder

I ordered the new processors from my local B&O Service Center part number 8006039. If you are comfortable with electronics etc I see no reason why you should not be able to do the upgrade yourself.

I do not have any BeoLab2000 speakers in my system, but I do not think they are mentioned in the MLGW compatibilty list either and therefore too "legacy" for an upgrade.

//Rolf

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)