in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-22-2011 3:37 PM by Spiros. 31 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-19-2011 4:53 PM

Ebay purchase from the US

Just bought an AV7000 on Ebay US for my collection.

This was a "do an offer" bid. Since I had no option to mail him directly I could only mail him asking for the shipping costs while I offered 125$.

He did not reply but accepted my offer. Proceeding my payment I noticed that shipping costs were 150$ (UPS).

Is that not a bit to high? Send him a mail why it's so expensive. If this amount is justified I will accept.

Bought this unit last year from Ebay US and that cost me "only" 100$

B&O item 1, B&O item 2, B&O item 3,...................B&O item 735

Beovirus? What's that?

• 07-19-2011 5:06 PM In reply to

Re: Ebay purchase from the US

Seems a little high but then fuel costs have risen in the US about 30 percent over the last twelve months.

• 07-19-2011 5:11 PM In reply to

Thanks Eugene, still a lot of $. Think he compensated my offer with the shippingHmm

Beovirus? What's that?

• 07-19-2011 5:16 PM In reply to

very possible, I see that  alot in BIN when they are selling a product on the "margins" of popularity or it it is simply a "for spares or repairs" listing.

• 07-19-2011 5:21 PM In reply to

What does BIN  means? 

Beovirus? What's that?

• 07-19-2011 5:44 PM In reply to

Leslie:

What does BIN  means? 

Buy it Now or Best Offer listing.

• 07-19-2011 5:52 PM In reply to

The carriage charge of $150 does not seem excessive to me.

From the UK to US, a booking via Interparcel (UPS) would cost around £75 plus insurance£10 plus box/packaging £10 equals £95 or very approx $150

Regards Graham

• 07-19-2011 5:59 PM In reply to

Thanks Graham, that makes sense! Still I'm gonna wait for a day or two to see  what his reply is. If not then I'll pay.

Beovirus? What's that?

• 07-19-2011 10:45 PM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

Ask him to use USPS.  I get a rate of $90.20 for insured USPS Priority Mail to The Netherlands.  Shipping calculator is located here. 

Assumptions: 20 lbs packed (8.1 kg unpacked according to Beoworld).  Box size: 24"x18"x8".  Insured amount: $125

The UPS shipping calculator is here.   It requires you input your postal code.

• 07-20-2011 1:43 AM In reply to

mediabobny:

Ask him to use USPS.  I get a rate of $90.20 for insured USPS Priority Mail to The Netherlands.  Shipping calculator is located here. 

Assumptions: 20 lbs packed (8.1 kg unpacked according to Beoworld).  Box size: 24"x18"x8".  Insured amount: $125

Thanks MediabobnyYes -  thumbs up

Seller respond on my mail and lowered his shipping price to 125$ because he does not want to lose money on this transaction. Now let's see what he says with the USPS shipping calculator as you suggested. I don't mind paying this amount but you can not charge more then the actual costs for shipping.

Beovirus? What's that?

• 07-20-2011 2:36 AM In reply to

Leslie:

mediabobny:

Thanks MediabobnyYes -  thumbs up

Seller respond on my mail and lowered his shipping price to 125$ because he does not want to lose money on this transaction. Now let's see what he says with the USPS shipping calculator as you suggested. I don't mind paying this amount but you can not charge more then the actual costs for shipping.

There are two things that everybody forgets to add to the cost of shipping.

The first is the cost to the seller of the box and packaging. This must be passed on to the buyer as an addition to the "actual shipping cost".

The same goes for the cost of taking the item to the mail, when a service like USPS is used. This can be significant where the journey is a significant distance (don't forget the cost of return journey!) and then there is the cost of parking!

These are both part of the "actual shipping cost" and they are not included in the USPS shipping calculator described above.

Regards Graham

• 07-20-2011 8:16 AM In reply to

Seller agreed with the shipping costs via USPS for 100$ as suggested by Mediabobny.

Thanks, you saved me 50$Drinks

Beovirus? What's that?

• 07-20-2011 3:22 PM In reply to

joeyboygolf:

The first is the cost to the seller of the box and packaging. This must be passed on to the buyer as an addition to the "actual shipping cost".

The same goes for the cost of taking the item to the mail, when a service like USPS is used. This can be significant where the journey is a significant distance (don't forget the cost of return journey!) and then there is the cost of parking!

These are both part of the "actual shipping cost" and they are not included in the USPS shipping calculator described above.

I sell lots of stuff on Ebay but never charge extra's for time and packing. The shipping costs mentioned in my ads are the actual costs and always refund if lower afterwards. And believe me, sometimes it takes hours to pack things the proper way.

Beovirus? What's that?

• 07-21-2011 5:11 AM In reply to

Leslie:

joeyboygolf:

I sell lots of stuff on Ebay but never charge extra's for time and packing. The shipping costs mentioned in my ads are the actual costs and always refund if lower afterwards. And believe me, sometimes it takes hours to pack things the proper way.

Very charitable of you!

Regards Graham

• 07-21-2011 5:55 AM In reply to

Not really, should be normal...

Beovirus? What's that?

• 07-21-2011 7:06 AM In reply to

So, from the selling price deduct the following:-

1. Sales Tax (VAT in the UK)

2.  Ebay Fees

3.  Paypal Fees

4.  Actual Cost of Box/Packaging

5.  Time for proper packing

I calculate that the cost of the first three add up to around 25% of the selling price, possibly more. I don't feel that I should contribute any more!

Regards Graham

• 07-21-2011 7:17 AM In reply to

Not sure what you are trying to tell me Graham, but for me it's quite a simple calculation.

Whatever I sell on Ebay is just the price for what I get and the actual shipping costs. Simpe as thatSmile

Beovirus? What's that?

• 07-21-2011 7:28 AM In reply to

Shipping prices have gotten rather expensive over here.  

UPS ground, used domestically is very inexpensive (I ship/buy auto parts as part of another hobby....let's not get into that!) Once you receive the item, feel free to message me the details: dimensions/weight and your location (town/code/country) and I can use my UPS account to get a price quote to see how close it is.

Incidentally, I purchased a Beosound 1 from an ebay vendor in Vienna: flat shipping to the US cost $20. Arrived with a slightly dented corner.

And let's not get into the quality of packing: I'm waiting for FEDEX to finish an insurance claim on a pair of BL 3500's that I purchased through ebay: thin foam wrapped, then shipped standing vertically in a U-Haul mover's box made for golf club bags or plants.  All of the air cushioning that was tossed betwen & around the speakers was either popped or settled to the bottom.  When tipping the box from side to side, the speakers would move the full width of the box.  Needless to say, the fine deal I got on these was ruined: woofer supports were broken off completely, end caps with 3-4mm gashes in them, all four grilles bent/torn.  A real shame.

That said, even though you're happy with the price, gingerly ask that the seller package it really well.

• 07-21-2011 7:33 AM In reply to

Reading feedback of this seller he's got a pretty good "packing" reputation.

Beovirus? What's that?

• 07-21-2011 5:44 PM In reply to

kennerd:
    Once you receive the item, feel free to message me the details: dimensions/weight and your location (town/code/country) and I can use my UPS account to get a price quote to see how close it is.

Thanks for the offer Kennerd but 100$ for shipment should be okay. Same amount I paid last time for the same item.

Beovirus? What's that?

• 07-21-2011 7:39 PM In reply to

Leslie:

Not sure what you are trying to tell me Graham, but for me it's quite a simple calculation.

Whatever I sell on Ebay is just the price for what I get and the actual shipping costs. Simpe as thatSmile

I'm with you on this one Leslie...

Sales  tax? ebay is a second hand market..

getting paid to walk to the post office, stand in line and fill in forms??? Ick! You're joking right???

When I sell something, the packing I use is mainly recycled boxes and bubble wrap from items sent to me (ie no cost). If I have to provide, it really is only about 50c worth anyway so...... 'meh'

If I see a seller stating in their listing that there are fees for this and costs for that, I won't buy from them on principle alone.

I think that is just not cricket.

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 07-21-2011 7:42 PM In reply to

BTW Paypal and eBay fees are the price you pay to reach a larger target market.

They're a cost you know you will bear before you list something on ebay... Use gumtree or craigslist if you don't like the fees

• 07-22-2011 2:26 AM In reply to

Jonathan:

Leslie:

getting paid to walk to the post office, stand in line and fill in forms??? Ick! You're joking right???

When I sell something, the packing I use is mainly recycled boxes and bubble wrap from items sent to me (ie no cost). If I have to provide, it really is only about 50c worth anyway so...... 'meh'

If I see a seller stating in their listing that there are fees for this and costs for that, I won't buy from them on principle alone.

In the EU, even sellers of secondhand items must register for sales tax!

My local post office is a 12 mile round trip!

If I used recycled boxes and bubble wrap from items sent to me I would be as crap at packaging as you and all the others.

I wish I could get away with 50c for packaging. I lose money on carriage and packaging!

You won't be buying from me then, will you?

Don't talk about the cricket................Big Smile

Regards Graham

• 07-22-2011 2:37 AM In reply to

Jonathan:

Leslie:

Exactly Jonathan, you're my man!  But what do you mean by "I think that is just not cricket"?

Seller(s) who are charging xtra's?No - thumbs down

Beovirus? What's that?

• 07-22-2011 2:59 AM In reply to

Leslie:

Jonathan:

Leslie:

Exactly Jonathan, you're my man!  But what do you mean by "I think that is just not cricket"?

Seller(s) who are charging xtra's?No - thumbs down

"I think that is just not cricket" is an Australian expression.

Australian slang:

Having something that is unjust or just plain wrong done to someone or something. This comes from the game of cricket, which is regarded as a gentlemans game where fairplay was paramount.

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >