in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-21-2011 5:28 AM by ........... 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-17-2011 4:17 PM

Crazy Beocord 6000 modification idea.........

**If anyone fancies helping me with this I would be interested!**

I have a Beomaster 6000, Beocord 6000, Beogram 6006 which I use as my daily hifi. It's got a 3.5mm jack on TP2 for iPods etc. 

I mainly listen to radio and play vinyl to be honest. The main reason is that using my iPod/iPhone with it is awkward, scruffy and generally annoying. I never play tapes so the Beocord is gathering dust. 

Connected to my TV which is on the opposite side of the room is a Mac Mini which I use as a media server. It has my iTunes library on it (around 30gb ish) but because it is connected to the TV with no external speakers it is pointless using it for music when I have a nice hifi in the same room. 

I had an idea last night which has been playing on my mind and am looking for some idea's as to how feasible it is!

Basically I want to gut the Beocord, install Apple TV inside it connected to a small (maybe 7") screen behind the glass (probably have to get a new piece of glass cut because of the transfer). I then want to modify the buttons on the front to control an IR sender to the ATV mimicking the Apple remote. 

Smile

Would this work? I am thinking it wouldn't be too hard but I can't seem to find any LCD picture frames with HDMI input. 

Also I would need to get someone to build an IR sender because this would be beyond me!

Any help/advice appreciated!

• 07-18-2011 1:24 AM In reply to

Re: Crazy Beocord 6000 modification idea.........

Not sure I have the full picture in my head ...

Llewelyn:
    gut the Beocord, install Apple TV inside it

... do you mean put the MacMini inside the gutted carcass ?

I did that to a BeoCord 5000, but using a laptop - the issue was the laptop continually overheated and I needed an active cooling system (rather than passive airflow) inside the BeoCord to pump the hot air out.

so gutting yes, doable.

MacMini ... not so sure, mine runs pretty hot but that may be because the background tasks I run, more than "just" a media centre.

Llewelyn:
    connected to a small (maybe 7") screen behind the glass (probably have to get a new piece of glass cut because of the transfer)

Don't understand the above bit ... maybe I have my BeoCord's mixed up (should have checked before posting!)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 07-18-2011 2:47 AM In reply to

Sorry yes I should have said - Apple TV 2 inside the Beocord, streaming content wirelessly from the Mac Mini which would stay where it is.

(cooling shouldn't be a problem with the ATV2 AFAIK)

As for the screen - I am talking about glass in the top right of the unit which displays time elapsed etc.

Does this make sense? Smile

• 07-18-2011 3:01 AM In reply to

Llewelyn:

Sorry yes I should have said - Apple TV 2 inside the Beocord, streaming content wirelessly from the Mac Mini which would stay where it is.

(cooling shouldn't be a problem with the ATV2 AFAIK)

As for the screen - I am talking about glass in the top right of the unit which displays time elapsed etc.

Does this make sense? Smile

yes, now I understand (and I was thinking of the wrong kind of BeoCord)

It is more work than I would do ! but does sound a great adventure.

The objective with my BeoCord 5000 conversation was simply to hide an ugly laptop inside kit that matched the rest of the set-up.

The ATV2 is so minuscule it doesn't really need hiding (cables excepted), however it is reliant on having an Apple remote (or a Beo 5?) or an IR blaster/PUC from a BeoVision or an iThingy remote (more and more these days that is what I am doing, controlling the music going to the ATV2 from my iPad).

Remind me again, what kind of TV do you have across the other side of the room ?

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 07-18-2011 4:43 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

I am sure this was done to something like a Beomaster 1500 once upon a time... can't remember where I saw it but if you could find it that will be a good starting point :)

Olly.

• 07-18-2011 7:44 AM In reply to

Elephant - I'm looking forward to the adventure :) Haha

The TV I am using is a Loewe Individual Selection LCD. I wish to keep the Audio and Video sections of the room entirely seperate. I don't watch much TV to be honest and external speakers connected to it or integration with my audio products other than the macmini/ATV networking would spoil the clean look of how the TV is at the moment. 

I mentioned the IR circuit for the reason you pointed out - I would like to have the Beocord controls connected to a board with an IR blaster going directly to the hidden ATV so basically it would be an IR connection but during operation would feel like just pressing hard wired buttons (if that makes sense). 

I then want to be able to view the track selection/playlists/internet radio etc via the small screen (which would look as OEM as possible) on the Beocord. I know the main point of ATV is for watching movies etc but this function would not be used at all in this instance!

The overall idea is to achieve perfect integration with the hifi system so it seems natural and the UI is nice. 

Olly - Yes I have seen that 1500 of which you speak... I think there is a vid on youtube somewhere... Looks great! 

• 07-18-2011 5:49 PM In reply to

Llewelyn:
    Elephant - I'm looking forward to the adventure :) Haha

Why not investigate disassembling an Apple remote (old plastic one, or new aluminium one) so that its keys or the pressure sensors of its keys can be wired to the BoeCord's buttons?

The Apple remote only has a few buttons anyway ... and you need to start thinking of which Apple remote button functions you are going to map to which BeoCord buttons.

Lookee here :-) http://manirazaghi.com/mechanical-design/disassembling-the-unibody-aluminum-apple-tv-remote/

• 07-19-2011 6:32 AM In reply to

I've actually done something similar already - I turned a Nintendo NES controller into an Apple remote just for a bit of fun Smile

However I want something more professional because soldering onto those tiny ad fragile buttons on the pcb is really hard to do well!

• 07-19-2011 6:34 AM In reply to

Also - That unibody remote is a great piece of engineering! :)

Thanks for the link!

• 07-19-2011 4:02 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I like the idea! I've been tossing around the idea of modifying a BeoCord for a long time. Looking forward to this!

Evan

• 07-19-2011 5:11 PM In reply to

I have used a Beocord 5000 to play my ipod/itunes library using s simple car audio casstte adapter. you can pluck them off ebay for as little as $5 USD.

• 07-21-2011 5:28 AM In reply to

As soon as I have the bits, screen etc, I will start to have a play around with it and post some photographs - It should be a pretty easy project really.... The only real issue being the IR and getting the screen to fit nicely and look OEM. 

Eugene, thanks for the heads up re the tape adaptor - However I want this to look factory and operate in a slick b&O way. I already have a 3.5mm jack input on TP2 of the amp so using a tape adaptor wouldn't really add anything to what I already have,,,

Smile

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)