in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-16-2011 12:32 PM by Hardwriter. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-14-2011 2:52 AM

iPad and Beoworld Forum

Took delivery of a 3G iPad this week. Although it's 3G we haven't bothered with a SIM and just use it wirelessly at the moment on our home network.

It is a great device to use, feels nice, is very intuitive, scrolling and changing between web pages somehow feels far superior to a laptop. It also displays a lot of reading material in a better way than the Kindle, although the Kindle is nicer to read pages on in bright sunlight (assuming what you are reading is formatted for the Kindle because its navigation of anything else is terrible.)

Anyway, last night I tried the iPad on the Wednesday forum here on Beoworld. What a disaster. Keyboard wouldn't come up onto the display and the iPad eventually had to be shut down completely to get it out of a persistent flashing on and off if a 'Compose' window was called-up.

Searching the web the iPad seems to have problems with certain forums............. is this because of the way a forum is set up...... is it because the iPad doesn't display, say Adobe Flash, or some  other reason?

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 07-14-2011 3:46 AM In reply to

Re: iPad and Beoworld Forum

Hi vikinger,

Same issue here iPad will not show the keybord for whatever reason. But there is an App out there called Beoworld which works fine on my iPhone.

As far as I understood there might come some updates along for the forum.

Beo Time, A8, EarSet3i, EarSet2, BC2, BC6, BL3, BL11, Apple TV1, BEO Ballpen, BL2000, BL3500

Christmas 2010 Prize Draw 1st winner. BeoSound 9000 Mk3 

Thank you

• 07-14-2011 4:38 AM In reply to

Download this App I built for Beoworld:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/beoworld/id398379170?mt=8

Works on iPad and iPhone.

• 07-14-2011 4:50 AM In reply to

vikinger:
    Searching the web the iPad seems to have problems with certain forums............. is this because of the way a forum is set up...... is it because the iPad doesn't display, say Adobe Flash, or some  other reason?

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/39224/325772.aspx#325772

It is indeed far from a Beoworld specific problem. Apple should fix this, but I'm not expecting them to listen...

-mika

• 07-14-2011 5:31 AM In reply to

PhilLondon:

Download this App I built for Beoworld:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/beoworld/id398379170?mt=8

Works on iPad and iPhone.

Thanks Phil. Downloaded it ...... it gives me Beoworld in a completely different format but I can't see any of the reply etc options. When I go back to the normal browser (Safari) and view Beoworld through that it's just the same: you can call up a reply window but there's no keyboard.

Have a missed something with using your App?

Graham

• 07-14-2011 6:22 AM In reply to

You need to enter your account name and password.

This is on the first screen of the App. Tap the Account button.

Once you've entered your credentials, the Reply button will be active. it is the same button as in the Mail app.

p.

• 07-14-2011 6:41 AM In reply to

Success! At least I think I can reply via the iPad!

• 07-14-2011 6:48 AM In reply to

I use every day the Beoworld App. It Works geat. It is easier to read and write than on a PC.
  • 07-14-2011 7:02 AM In reply to

Great App Phil!

Works really well. The only problem I now have is that for some reason the Apps icon doesn't appear on the main screen and I have to search for it. No doubt this is just me not being familiar with the peculiarities of the iPad.

Graham

• 07-14-2011 7:06 AM In reply to

vikinger:
    the Apps icon doesn't appear on the main screen

just drag the Beoworld App's icon from where you find it, down to the task bar thingy, and let go

now it will be at the bottom of every screen for instant access !

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 07-14-2011 7:10 AM In reply to

There are several "main" screens. Swipe from right to left to go from one to another.
  • 07-14-2011 7:37 AM In reply to

PhilLondon:
    There are several "main" screens. Swipe from right to left to go from one to another.

Thanks Phil & Elephant!

Sorted.

You always feel such an idiot when these things are so obvious after the event!

Graham

• 07-14-2011 7:56 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

vikinger:

PhilLondon:

Thanks Phil & Elephant!

Sorted.

You always feel such an idiot when these things are so obvious after the event!

Graham

WhistleLaughingLaughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-14-2011 10:24 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

You must enter "HTML mode" in the reply window in Safari. In the message bar, close to the smiley icon you find "HTML", press that to enter a new window with keyboard. You need to tap the typing area to be able to start writing. When you finished writing press "UPDATE" at bottom left to get back to reply window where you click "POST".

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 07-14-2011 6:13 PM In reply to

Just trying Daniels HTML approach in Safari. Works OK but Phils App is easier! Graham

• 07-14-2011 6:54 PM In reply to

Great app

• 07-14-2011 6:56 PM In reply to

vikinger:
    Just trying Daniels HTML approach in Safari

Jack Daniel's I assume?

Laughing

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 07-15-2011 3:23 AM In reply to

bayerische:

vikinger:
    Just trying Daniels HTML approach in Safari

Jack Daniel's I assume?

Laughing

That might improve things!

Something I realised last night with another post: using Phil's App I couldn't find the Edit option to correct a typo after I had posted an item. Does the App have a hidden Edit function? Also couldn't see a way of quoting from a previous post.

Graham

• 07-15-2011 6:07 AM In reply to

vikinger:
    Does the App have a hidden Edit function? Also couldn't see a way of quoting from a previous post.

It doesn't, no.

• 07-15-2011 7:41 AM In reply to

PhilLondon:

vikinger:
    Does the App have a hidden Edit function? Also couldn't see a way of quoting from a previous post.

It doesn't, no.

Thanks Phil. Saves me searching for what isn't there. Guess you just have to be careful what you post or try editing later from another Mac/PC!

The App is a great interface nevertheless!

Graham

• 07-16-2011 12:32 PM In reply to

Getting back to the original post, this is a problem not just with the ipad but will all tablets. They all - apple, Android, etc, seem to have problems translating some traditional PC platforms. I was hoping the BB Playbook was going to change things with its flash support but having tried it it seems rather clunky as well.

Apple are not likely to come up with solutions to most of these issues as they want to drive all of their users through their Appstore channel. I have quite a few Apple products - Ipods and computers - but I must admit the company's efforts to lock everyone in to the Apple environment does grate a bit at times.

Page 1 of 1 (21 items)