in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-12-2008 2:52 PM by Alex. 53 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-06-2007 11:17 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

Re: do I need a BeoLab 2 ???

Also the qulity of the signal is important for the "right" distance, with a HD signal you are happy to sit just 2,5 to 3 m away from your 50" screen, but with a poor analoge cabel signal you which you could sit 6 m away...

With my Bv4-50 I will sit 3,80m away, this is still ok, with DVD or HD sources no problem at all, with bad TV signals I would not go closer. 

However, this all is very much a personal preference as I have learned this discussing this with others, so give it a try, bring a good DVD along with some time and visit you dealer, ask for a nice sofa and do the test! 

Karsten 

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 07-06-2007 11:27 AM In reply to

• Bulgarien
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Denmark, Vest Sjaeland
    • Posts 201
    • Bronze Member

No problem at all!Big Smile

Peter Pan have given us the solution  and as you can see is it very easy på use a non B&O subwoofer.

Try olso  to look at these treads

Its shows with lot of pictures and details all kind of DIN/phono/jack etc. plug  connektion to B&O.

Its all made by  Peter Pan, a helpfull and great B&O writer from Denmark, and not by me Wink

Only  B&O plug/connektion  http://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32157&P%20N=1

B&O plug/cableand others kind of connektion  (Ipod/PC/surround /preamp/subwoofer  etc. ...)  http://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23818&PN=1

Thank to Peter Pan for his help!

How to connect a non B&O subwoofer

• 07-06-2007 11:56 AM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

Wow, that's great!

Didn't know about that thread.

Thanks!

Marcel

• 07-06-2007 4:10 PM In reply to

Anyone more has a B&W PV1 conected to a B&O system?
    Rafa
  • 07-06-2007 5:29 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Not to a B&O surround sound processor, but to the PowerLink outputs on my BeoSystem 7000. Worked very well, and sounded very good with my B&W DM303s, but with my DM7s, just confused things as the DM7s go deeper than the PV1. I have heard a PV1 used with B&O gear (somebody who bought BeoLab 3s off eBay, and later changed them for 8000s), and with both, it worked well. I prefer it over the BeoLab 2, but remember that when using it in a standard stereo setup (not in surround sound), it won't filter any frequencies off for the main speakers, and hence in a way the BL2 will allow a pair of BeoLabs to sing better than when connecting a PV1.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-06-2007 8:19 PM In reply to

Thanks Alex. Very useful info for me.
    Rafa
  • 07-06-2007 11:50 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

Not to a B&O surround sound processor, but to the PowerLink outputs on my BeoSystem 7000. Worked very well, and sounded very good with my B&W DM303s, but with my DM7s, just confused things as the DM7s go deeper than the PV1. I have heard a PV1 used with B&O gear (somebody who bought BeoLab 3s off eBay, and later changed them for 8000s), and with both, it worked well. I prefer it over the BeoLab 2, but remember that when using it in a standard stereo setup (not in surround sound), it won't filter any frequencies off for the main speakers, and hence in a way the BL2 will allow a pair of BeoLabs to sing better than when connecting a PV1.

When you say it won't filter any of the frequencies off for the main speakers, surely there is a way around this, by changing the phase, volume etc?? I want to get one to improve the sound of my BL4000's but do not want to ruin the sound! 

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 07-07-2007 3:02 AM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

Alex, can you explain what you mean by: "it won't filter any frequencies off for the main speakers, and hence in a way the BL2 will allow a pair of BeoLabs to sing better than when connecting a PV1"

I thought I understood that in the PV1 you can change frequencies, instead of the BL2?!

Marcel

• 07-07-2007 7:14 AM In reply to

Hi there,

I am new here.  I have paid a deposit (but I think I can still make some minor adjustments) for Beovision 7-32, Beolab 9, Beolab 4000 and Beolab 2 as sub.  Having read your comments. Do you think its a good idea to keep the Beolab 2 or save the money for something else? 

Thanks guys.

• 07-07-2007 9:21 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I'd try it without the BeoLab 2 at first, and then add one if you really feel it lacks punch. I've found the BeoLab 9s to be far more capable in terms of performance in low frequencies (although maybe not as loud).

For those of you who were confused about what I said, when you connect like this:

PowerLink outputs --> BeoLab 2 --> BeoLabs

the BeoLab 2 filters of any deep deep bass from single it passes to the BeoLabs. The PV1 has no line-level filter built in, and hence there is no way of connecting it in such a way that the PV1 will reduce the bass load on the BeoLabs (which would allow them to sound much better).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-07-2007 10:06 AM In reply to

• Bulgarien
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Denmark, Vest Sjaeland
    • Posts 201
    • Bronze Member

You still have to notice that if you use the dolby digital modul  in your BeoVison there is a seperate subwoofer out, and when you mark subwoofer in the setup, the lowest frekvensy to beolab speakers are cutof, and the pv1/beoLab 2 are taking over, and that is off course the best solution.

In a this setup are there no differens between the 2 subwoofer, and I think that PV1 will be the best choice,- its driven by  ICEpower, it have much better and deaper sound, much lower price, and proberly a  better design (?) Yes

My homeset-up

• 07-07-2007 10:34 AM In reply to

Bulgarien is quite right with regard to Beovisions with the Dolby digital module. Alex would be correct in an audio only set up though I am less sure about sub woofers in audio set ups. With BL3s or 4s, there could be a need though. In those situations the BL2 will act as a active crossover and send less low frequency to the other Beolabs which does improve their sound. However the vast majority of us will use the system as Bulgarien describes. I would love to see a direct comparison between the PV1 and the BL2 though this is unlikely to ever occur! I do like the look of the PV1 though!
  • 07-07-2007 10:38 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Peter:
    Bulgarien is quite right with regard to Beovisions with the Dolby digital module. Alex would be correct in an audio only set up though I am less sure about sub woofers in audio set ups. With BL3s or 4s, there could be a need though. In those situations the BL2 will act as a active crossover and send less low frequency to the other Beolabs which does improve their sound. However the vast majority of us will use the system as Bulgarien describes. I would love to see a direct comparison between the PV1 and the BL2 though this is unlikely to ever occur! I do like the look of the PV1 though!

I think I can guess vaguely what the outcome would be. Stick out tongue

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-07-2007 11:14 AM In reply to

• Bulgarien
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Denmark, Vest Sjaeland
    • Posts 201
    • Bronze Member

I have made a compare between the two subs and I think PV1 are the best sub on all ways and Im not alone..

B&W are famous for making the worlds best speakers and before BeoLab 5 B&O was using B&W speakers as a reference!

I like B&O, but I olso wont the best, and when  powered by ICEpower its still enought B&O for me Wink and why pay more for less.

Bowers and Wilkins PV1 (Pressure Vessel nr 1)

What HiFi Sound & Vision Awards 2005
    B&W PV1
       "Ripping up the sub rule book, the PV1 starts again, and delivers something astonishing - must be seen and heard".

HiFi Choice Awards 2005 Gold badge
    B&W PV1
       Gold Award Winner for Best Subwoofer under £1000 in the 2005 HiFi Choice Awards.

What HiFi Sound & Vision Awards 2006
    Best Subwoofer
       "You can't help but admire the engineering, and the sound is every bit as good".

B&W PV1

B&W’s PV1 is an elegant, sophisticated electro acoustic masterpiece.

In a perfect example of form following function, this amazing component uses the principle of a ‘pressure vessel’ to create a very small but powerful subwoofer with zero structural vibrations.

It includes two latest-generation transducers with aluminum-coated mica cones, mounted back-to-back and driven by an advanced 500 ICEpower Watt amplifier.

For once here’s a sub that excels in low-end extension and output level. It copes admirably with demanding stereo and multichannel recordings, yet won’t offend the most delicate aesthetic sensibilities.

Sorry, but I cant find any (good) reviews  about BeoLab 2 !...

But I find this in a interesting  tread about subwoofers and  BeoLab 2 and PV1 . The message is wrote by Beobloke (08-08-2006, 7:30 AM)    http://www.avforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-377726.html

Please notice;  Its not mine words Tongue Tied

As a B&O fanatic, even i'm happy to say that i believe the Beolab 2 to be a complete and utter pile of poo. It is a nasty, boomy, thumpy little box with an appalling lack of timing and i wouldn't have one in my lounge on the end of my B&O system if you paid me.

IMHO the PV1 would be an excellent match for B&O speakers, both visually and performance wise and am still wondering whether to buy one myself one day, as the wife keeps making sublte comments about the relative lack of loveliness of my MS909!"

• 07-07-2007 11:29 AM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

Did you compare them "side by side" ?
  • 07-07-2007 11:36 AM In reply to

• Bulgarien
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Denmark, Vest Sjaeland
    • Posts 201
    • Bronze Member

No, its was not possible at that time, but I can say that the biggest problem with Beolab 2 are lake of punch and the bass defination are not clear but more like rumbling.

Beobloke describe the sound from BeoLab 2 as" nasty, boomy, thumpy little box with an appalling lack of timing"

• 07-07-2007 12:28 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The BeoLab 2 is definitely slow and cannot keep up with fast basslines, as Bulgarien says, it's just very vague and doesn't sound anywhere near as 'detailed' as the BeoLab 9s.

Plays very loud though! Louder than a PV1, but I doubt you'd ever push it that hard. If you do, then BeoLab 5s are really what you need...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-07-2007 1:03 PM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

Bouncer:

Hi there,

I am new here.  I have paid a deposit (but I think I can still make some minor adjustments) for Beovision 7-32, Beolab 9, Beolab 4000 and Beolab 2 as sub.  Having read your comments. Do you think its a good idea to keep the Beolab 2 or save the money for something else? 

Thanks guys.

If I were you I would not order the BL2 and replace the BL4000 with BL3. That's what I did and are very happy. Still if you decide to keep de 4000's, I don't think the BL2 will do much improvement to your BL9's.

Gustavo

• 07-07-2007 3:14 PM In reply to

Just to redress the balance a little, I think my BL2 is superb as an AV sub woofer and regard it as one of my best buys. I don't find that when used with Pentas that it lacks punch at all.

Each to their own though. 

• 07-07-2007 4:37 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Peter:

Just to redress the balance a little, I think my BL2 is superb as an AV sub woofer and regard it as one of my best buys. I don't find that when used with Pentas that it lacks punch at all.

Each to their own though. 

I would suggest that at some point you try a PV1! It's a very very good subwoofer, considerably better than the BeoLab 2 IMO, although that doesn't make the BL2 a bad buy. It's a good subwoofer if you're willing to spend quite a large amount, and design wise, I prefer it to the PV1. Also, in a stereo setup with say, BeoLab 3s I would actually choose it over the PV1 for it's filtering capabilities, and because it plays LOUD (and I like loud Big Smile).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-07-2007 6:00 PM In reply to

• Bulgarien
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Denmark, Vest Sjaeland
    • Posts 201
    • Bronze Member

Offcourse are beoLab 2 a good subwoofer, and it will help in all kinds of set-up, but its a fact that Pv1 sound much better.

For those that already have bought a BL2 I´m sure the are happy with the Beolab 2, becouse they have proberly  never listen to others, but if they compare to for exsamle to PV1 they will notice difference, and their will understand that a subwoofer can make sound on many differens way, just like normal speakers will do.

The point is, at for the half of price of beolab 2, there are so many others subwoofers that can make it better then B&O can do.

I am a real BeoMan, but if B&O only have this one, a very expensive but ordinary subwoofer on the program, then I will buy another brand.

B&W PV1 are perfect for a real BeoMan. 

You get the best (like B&O normal do) and becouse they  using the ICEpower you still get the best from B&O Smile

• 07-07-2007 6:15 PM In reply to

I might try a PV1 for the main room and use the BL2 with my AV9000 which does not have a sub woofer channel.
  • 07-08-2007 2:55 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

I'd try it without the BeoLab 2 at first, and then add one if you really feel it lacks punch. I've found the BeoLab 9s to be far more capable in terms of performance in low frequencies (although maybe not as loud).

For those of you who were confused about what I said, when you connect like this:

PowerLink outputs --> BeoLab 2 --> BeoLabs

the BeoLab 2 filters of any deep deep bass from single it passes to the BeoLabs. The PV1 has no line-level filter built in, and hence there is no way of connecting it in such a way that the PV1 will reduce the bass load on the BeoLabs (which would allow them to sound much better).

you could just go into the sound options of the B&O cd player and turn the bass down a bit...? Am i right that with playing with these settings and on the sub you could achive a balance sound (i wouldn't bother with a pv1 if i had BL9's but the BL4000's need more punch) 

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 07-08-2007 5:44 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Yes you could achieve that vaguely by turning down the bass control, but it's such a crude method of doing it, I really think it would just leave you with a big bass gap where bass is most important, around 100 Hz. By removing those frequencies, it's going to sound really 'empty' and boomy. The Bass control does not control exactly the same frequencies the BeoLab 2 controls.

With a brand X subwoofer, it may work a bit better as you could adjust the frequencies the sub handles, but in all honesty, that's also going to be pretty crude, as a filter gently rolls off frequencies, rather than just cutting them off alltogether. If you set the frequency to say, 80 Hz, then 80 Hz won't actually be reduced at all, and then 70 Hz will only be slightly reduced, 60 Hz reduced to a greater degree, 50 Hz reduced even more and so on and so forth until all the sound has been filtered off at a much lower frequency. There are two main kinds of filters, 12 dB/Octave and 24 dB/Octave. Mixing the two with one acting as a high-pass filter and the other as a low-pass filter will just result in incredibly lumpy and nasty bass response.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 02-12-2008 2:39 AM In reply to

I have just purchased beolab 2 to go with my surround system, 2 x lab9 + 2 x lab4000.

Alot of ppl are saying lab9 is deep enough but I still feels it lack punch, considering I listen to artists like 2pac a lot.

Now from this thread I thought I might actually return the lab2 and get a pv1 instead, but I have a few questions I would like to ask.

1. In the menu speaker type, which speaker do I choose if I decide to get a pv1? from what I see, I can only pick B&O speakers.

2. and does pv1 switch it self on and off like lab2 when connected to b&o system?

Page 2 of 3 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >