in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-22-2011 10:05 AM by Mindphaser. 45 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (46 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-16-2011 1:46 AM In reply to

• jjcox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-31-2009
    • Midden-Brabant, the Netherlands
    • Posts 61
    • Bronze Member

Re: Most beautiful B&O speaker ever built

I'm surprised the BL6000 hasn't been named yet! I've always loved the design and after 20 years, they still look incredible. From the sleek design to the nice design touches (like the mirror on the footplate, which gives the speakers the illusion of being round, while in fact they're a bit flat), I've always been in love with them.

And of course the BL4500, in my opinion they're a close second. I've always hoped to owd a pair - sadly I don't...

• 07-16-2011 8:40 AM In reply to

For me:

Nr. 1) BeoVox Penta

Penta speakers have excellent sound. Even with the latest audio technology, they follow with.

Koreansk Link: BeoVox Penta type 6611.

ICEpower connection.

Greetings Peter Pan

• 07-16-2011 12:22 PM In reply to

No debate, 8000. And the fact it's still in the product line supports that. 6000 looks nice too.

Also have to agree with Trip on the Redlines. I love them as well. 

Pentas don't really do it for me. Nor do the 4000s. And I'm not a big fan of B&O's wooden box speakers, even though they have very nice covers. Still a wooden box.

Now, if the question had been which are the most beautiful SOUNDING speakers...

• 07-16-2011 5:37 PM In reply to

Then you can't chooseLaughing

• 07-16-2011 5:37 PM In reply to

double post

• 07-16-2011 6:15 PM In reply to

1. BL 8000

2. BL 4500 (never owned)

3. Tie BL 6000/BL 4000

4. RL 60.2 (on floor stand with original coiled wire)

5. Pentas (never owned)

I've owned other B&O speakers, but they didn't speak to me. The new range will grow on me. It's such a departure in design terms, that it will take time. No question the sound of the new range is spectacular.

• 07-17-2011 7:53 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I think as time goes on the BL9's will shove their way to the front of  the line, they are so clean.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 07-17-2011 11:57 AM In reply to

Come on, they look like pinquins!

• 07-17-2011 1:19 PM In reply to

pf85:

Beolab 1 ahead of the Penta's.

Looks like the great days of the tall column speakers are over...

Yes totally agree!! although I'm not sure which ones to place first, the beolab 1 or the pentas? They remain both very impressive in all regards! Might prefer the pentas in the end. You know I am dreaming of a new slightly modernized version of the pentas (with BL5 alike impressive sound capabilities) to fit into a classic Italian design interior...

BC2 DAB, Lab 1, Lab Penta, beo4, beocord 1101.

• 07-17-2011 4:29 PM In reply to

The problem with column speakers is the small size of the bass speakers. I am afraid a good big one will always beat several good small ones. The speakers which seem to be most popular are the 8000 and 5000, both of which are always going to be limited by the engineering compromises in their design. They are unexpected looking because no sane person with audio quality paramount would start from there!! The Beolab 5 is far more promising.

Looks are obviously subjective - the case could be compared to cars: if the object is to be able to transport 4 people from one place to another, a Ferrari would possibly be the most beautiful way to do it, an original Mini would be the most efficient, and a Mercedes E class probably the most sensible . Some would say that the Mini design was very beautiful as form follows function.

• 07-17-2011 8:35 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I think I will vote the 8000s as the most beautiful. A very hard decision - all of the speakers are really good looking.

This thread does make me very proud of my BL5000s! Big Smile They will most likely be my new favorite once I find a more suitable environment for them.

As far as vintage goes, the 2500 is the absolute zenith. However I am practically in love with the way my 2600s look. The long and thin proportion is pretty rare for that era - making for a very interesting look, I especially like the fret work on it.

Evan

• 07-18-2011 1:14 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:

But the BeoLab 3s are the size of musk melons and don't cost a lot when you factor in their amps. But when you play them in a room with the right setup they absolutely defy any expectation that their size, price, or power could have set. 

True. I replaced my Beolab 3's with Beolab 5's a few months ago. Love the 5's but I'm still not used to their size. Sure, 5's are small compared to other speakers with the same performance, but still they take up quite a lot of space. In short when the music is turned off I miss the 3's.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 07-18-2011 2:35 PM In reply to

• pf85
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 145
    • Founder

Peter :

The problem with column speakers is the small size of the bass speakers. I am afraid a good big one will always beat several good small ones. The speakers which seem to be most popular are the 8000 and 5000, both of which are always going to be limited by the engineering compromises in their design. They are unexpected looking because no sane person with audio quality paramount would start from there!! The Beolab 5 is far more promising. (...)

I don't disagree, however, in conjunction with a BL2, this conceptual "issue" can be overcome. To me a loudspeaker has to have both  functional as well as visual appeal, hence my choice with BL1 and Penta.

In the end, the positive ownership experience of a quality loudspeaker with the promise of longterm serviceability may be there for most of us who enjoy B&O, regardless of what actual model we vote for.

• 07-18-2011 2:44 PM In reply to

And I actually run Pentas with a BL2. However the reproduction of music is not as good as using my M100s as the bass notes appear very one dimensional - plenty of thump but not that much detail. the BL2 is hampered by the ABRs which muddy the sound. Brilliant for LFE - not so good for music.

• 07-18-2011 3:40 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Pentas - they just have that look of old B&O power.

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 07-20-2011 9:29 AM In reply to

• AdamS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • South UK
    • Posts 72
    • Silver Member

jjcox:

I'm surprised the BL6000 hasn't been named yet! I've always loved the design and after 20 years, they still look incredible. From the sleek design to the nice design touches (like the mirror on the footplate, which gives the speakers the illusion of being round, while in fact they're a bit flat), I've always been in love with them.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I think the BL6000s are by far the best looking loudspeaker that B&O have come up with and I can't help thinking that I'd even prefer the 8000 if it simply resembled a scaled-up 6000.

Some interesting options though - personally the BL4000s don't do anything for me.

• 07-20-2011 10:55 AM In reply to

• hilton
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-18-2010
    • Aus
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

i love the BeoLab 7.1 as they are small and powerful.

when i  had it for my BV7 32" the Beolab 7.1 can fill the whole room with sound and it has a down firing sub.

the Beolab 7.1 is way better then the BL8000 ,BL 6000 , BL 4000 ,BL4 because its a 3way speaker.

i have owned most B&O speakers but not beolab 5 & 9 (one day i will)

Also you can not go past the penta's they (MK3) are the best speakers i have ever owned.

i think its even better the the beolab 1, for me the bass is better in the pentas .

i know its a big call but that is what i feel.

• 07-21-2011 4:32 AM In reply to

I own BL 8000,6000,4000 and 3500

for me 3500 win 

• 07-22-2011 7:08 AM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

My opinion: Beolab 8000, and the Beolab 5's. the 8000 is surely an iconic design, but the BL5s are sure to head that way as well.
    Love B&O, but no longer addicted.
  • 07-22-2011 9:50 AM In reply to

• egoh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-12-2011
    • Austin, Texas - USA
    • Posts 77
    • Gold Member

1) Beolab 4500 

2) Beolab 8000

• 07-22-2011 10:05 AM In reply to