in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-14-2011 5:13 PM by Peter. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-13-2011 6:28 AM

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Avant 28¨ or AV-5 ..Which one to pick…?

Hi All!,

I am looking into getting a smaller and very cheap guest room TV and I found these too objects for sale.
    The sellers are asking for 200 Euros, but I guess i can get any of them for less…
    I haven't checked them out in real life yet, but they are supposed to be in good condition, and BEO4 comes with them.

The Avant 28¨ is probably one of the older ( it has VHS) and probably not the RF screen. But at least it is widescreen 

Which one has the best sound and picture and gives the best overall experience?

All recommendations are welcome!,

Peter 

• 07-13-2011 7:20 AM In reply to

Re: Avant 28¨ or AV-5 ..Which one to pick…?

Certainly for guestrooms pick the AV 5! It is more reliable, the older Avants suffer from picture tube problems. The AV 5 is more elegant and has a fantastic picture and is very reliable...

• 07-13-2011 7:23 AM In reply to

Hi,

May be a stupid question, but why not a BeoCenter 1, or is it too small (as it's only 25").
    Anyway. I like the Avant alot, especially since I have one of my own (also not the RF and with VHS).  The AV-5 is nice, the radio's good and the CD is..well. It's a CD-player. Whether that adds to usefulness I cannot say, it's really up to you.

As for performance,  I believe they are similar, the difference being in the auxiliary equipment in the different modules.

(I am sad to say you probably are right about the price, but that's just because it was so expensive when I got it Smile )

Good luck!

Carl-Henrik

• 07-13-2011 7:28 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

I would take the Avant BUT wait for an RF version to show up...

Avant = 16:9/15:9 picture, now that (at least over here) this is standard broadcast.

And it is an icon ;-)

Additional info on the forum somewhere:

"BeoVision 1 - Bulletproof.. never had a tube fail in all my time. Incredibly reliable.
    BeoCenter 1 - Tube bulletproof, DVD Mech flaky as hell.. replaced loads.
    MX Range - Tube bulletproof, never replaced one yet and never had any problems. A great TV.
    RF Screen Avant - Never had a 28" blow on me
    BeoVision 3 - Never seen a 28" blown"

"AV9000 - Tube okay, seen a few blown but not loads. Usually the mechanical curtains that die or the VCR Mech goes boom.
    Curved Screen Avant - 28" getting very flaky, blowing regularly.  32" seem a lot stronger, only ever seen 2 blown.
    RF Screen Avant - Never had a 28" blow on me and have never heard of one going, but have seen a number of 32" versions gone.
    BeoVision 3 - Never seen a 28" blown, but seen quite a few 32" versions gone. The 'Red Lines' are a dead giveaway!
    As for the older LX ranges and the like, i rarely see them to be honest so cannot comment.  However, i regularly get people talking to me with LX5500's, LX6000's and the like still going strong today!!
    Take from that what you will - it's just an honest account of my experiences dealing with B&O day-to-day..."

Ralf

PS: Too bad you are in Sweden, I have a Avant 32 RF VCR I would like to sell (it is my parents one).

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 07-13-2011 8:16 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Hi Guys! 

Thanks for the input!

Yes, the Beocenter 1 or Beovision 1 are alternatives also. Even a BV6-26 since they are coming down in price. But the early ones has such a bad picture quality especially when using an analog signal.

Built in CD or DVD is really not that important since I will use an Apple TV with it. But, stunning picture and sound is important..
    Is the AV-5's sound much better than an Avant ?

I have a AV9000 today in my bedroom, but since additional speakers are needed (I use BL5000 and BL3000) that whole setup is too big for the guest room, I just want something small (cheap) and amazing :-)  Maybe a AV-5 for the "cool factor" or wait for a RF Avant 28' to show up....?

/Peter 

• 07-13-2011 8:27 AM In reply to

Hi,

Well. Personally I'd go for the AV5, if nothing else it is a bit more exclusive than the Avant!

Good luck!

/Carl-Henrik

• 07-14-2011 5:13 PM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Thanks Carl-Henrik!

I went for the AV-5!  Ok, it's not widescreen, the CD player dont play DVD, but I already knew that (how stupid is that on a TV built in -98 that costed 49.000 SEK as new!)

But, the sound is great, the small 25¨screen is superb and and the TV is in mint condition! For the price of 2000 SEK (200 Euros, and I didn't even negotiate the price)

Even if its small it felt almost as heavy as my AV9000 to carry to the second floor!

But..the cool-factor is second to none!! You should see the face of my teenage kids when the speakers came out on the side...What a great little TV/stereo…been spending all evening in the guest room..  :-)

/Peter  

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)