in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-11-2011 4:03 PM by david707. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-05-2011 6:58 AM

Beovision 8 noisy fan

One of the fans in my BV8-40 is very noisy. Is this ambient temperature/humidity related? The fan starts after about 10 minutes use and the noise appears to be coming from the left of centre of the screen looking from the front. There is another fan but that is hardly audible (on all the time). Is this a quality control issue (warranty repair) or a known problem with the chassis which can be sorted with a software update?

• 07-05-2011 7:19 AM In reply to

• madskp
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 111
    • Gold Member

Re: Beovision 8 noisy fan

I Also had a problem with noisy fans in my BV8 40. But after I updated the DVB-HD software to 0.1.6.6.0 it disapeered. So I would try this first as an easy fix

• 07-05-2011 7:49 AM In reply to

Alternatively you can reduce fan speed in the service menu.

Worked in mine.

BeoVision 8-40 / BeoVision 8-32 / Beovision 6-26 / BeoSound 3200 / BeoSound 1 / BeoLab 3 /  Beolab 6000 / Beolab 2000 / Beoport / Beomedia 1 / 3* Beo4 /BeoCom 5 with VOIP

• 07-05-2011 9:17 AM In reply to

Thanks for the suggestions. DVB is disabled as no signal is available. This perhaps does not affect the fan? The software for DVB HD is 0.1.3.4 . I assume the upgrade to the latest version has to be done by the dealer under warranty?

Regarding the fan settings mine are set to 16 min and 40 max pwm. Could you recommend a speed setting?

Thanks

David  

• 07-05-2011 11:45 AM In reply to

To correct my earlier post I would estimate the noise starting up around 30 minutes after switch on. Fan 1 & 2 do not vary in RPM when the noise starts so there must be a third fan. I need to find a way to strangle it.

• 07-05-2011 1:12 PM In reply to

• madskp
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 111
    • Gold Member

You should be able to update the DVB-HD software yourself with a USB pen. The software can be found at http://www.bang-olufsen.dk/dvb-hd/software-downloads 

• 07-05-2011 3:43 PM In reply to

My settings on my BV8-40:

Fan full speed temp: 62

Fan stop speed temp: 48

Fan Pwn min 16

Fan Pwn max 40

Hope that helps

BeoVision 8-40 / BeoVision 8-32 / Beovision 6-26 / BeoSound 3200 / BeoSound 1 / BeoLab 3 /  Beolab 6000 / Beolab 2000 / Beoport / Beomedia 1 / 3* Beo4 /BeoCom 5 with VOIP

• 07-05-2011 5:51 PM In reply to

Thanks Heribert but my settings are identical to yours and have not been changed from new. 

I found reference to the particular fan noise on the German forum:

>>After a while (depending on temperature) you will realize the fan from the DVB-engine. One of the others you can control over the Customer menue in speed and temperature level. I found no way to control the fan for the DVB-engine. Sometimes it does'nt bother me  but in a very quiet environment you notice it<<

I am quite sure my noise is from the DVB engine and not the others which are very quiet. I must try the latest DVB software update as madskp suggested.

Thanks all for the help

David

• 07-06-2011 4:05 AM In reply to

david707:

>>After a while (depending on temperature) you will realize the fan from the DVB-engine. One of the others you can control over the Customer menue in speed and temperature level. I found no way to control the fan for the DVB-engine. Sometimes it does'nt bother me  but in a very quiet environment you notice it<<

I am quite sure my noise is from the DVB engine and not the others which are very quiet. I must try the latest DVB software update as madskp suggested.

For the Mark II version of the Beovision 8 there is a software update to fix a problem where the fan intermittently runs faster than it should.

Build 166d which I think it around version 4.2 is intended to fix this issue.

Regards Keith....

• 07-06-2011 5:10 AM In reply to

Thank you Keith,

Will the DVB update not help the problem? Will the Build 166d need to be done by the dealer?

• 07-10-2011 5:15 AM In reply to

Yes, loading of a new build has to be done by the dealer. You should claim it is a warranty issue. Then the upgrade is at no cost.

Happy owner of: BV10, 2 x Beocom 2, Beocom 6000, Beocenter 2, Beolab 3, Beolab 2000, Beo4, Beolab 11

1:st prize winner Beoworld January Price Draw.

• 07-11-2011 6:31 AM In reply to

Keith's post suggested the update was for the mk2. Can the same update be applied to the mk1? Earlier posts suggested updates to the DVB software cured the fault. B&O web site says that if you have a BV8-40 and live in the UK you must contact your dealer before updating.

• 09-11-2011 4:03 PM In reply to

Just to clarify for other people plagued with the BV8-40 DVB fan noise:

Software update to build 166d does not solve the problem.

DVB software update 0.1.7.1 DOES solve the problem. (recent start of DVB transmission enabled me to install)

The mysterious reason B&O say to contact your dealer if you "have a BV8-40 and live in the UK" is due to different types of module and software requirements. With the end user involved in updating etc it would be useful to be directed to the correct software simply by inputting the TV serial number on the site!

Thanks all for the advice - a quiet TV at long last.

David

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)