in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-07-2011 11:53 AM by jrantala. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-04-2011 8:08 AM

Beogram 1700 adjustments

Hi all!

I have an old Beogram 1700 which I got sort of working (freeing and oiling the actuator pin etc.). But I have problems with the record size adjustments!

I have tried to adjust the arm drop for the 7 and 12 size records, but cannot get them adjusted far enough: the tonearm drops always before it reaches the record (starting some half cm outside the record's edge). The adjustments vary these point a bit, but not enough. Also, the record stops playing short of the end groove (about the same half cm before it reaches the end grooves). When returning the tonearm also goes a cm or so too far (beyond parallel to the sides). It seems like the whole arm travel is a cm or so "off" ?

Any ideas what could cause this kind of behavior ? Tonearm itself looks straight and otherwise moves smooth and nicely.

-jari

• 07-04-2011 8:19 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beogram 1700 adjustments

Something mechanically bent or broken inside ?
    Is the tonearm parking position apprx parallel to the deck edge ?

Martin

• 07-04-2011 8:34 AM In reply to

Nothing obviously bent or broken inside.

The parking position is not parallel to the deck edge but it is also "off", i.e. the cartridge is about a cm closer to the edge than pivot end ot the arm.

-jari

• 07-05-2011 3:07 AM In reply to

I wonder, could this be "corrected"  by bending the thin long rod underneath that rotates the tonearm ? Bending the end of it it so that it is effectively a bit shorter should move all the reference points (parking position, record drop areas, end groove start) closer to platter center.

WIll this work or would I just cause more problems by attempting it ?

-jari

• 07-05-2011 11:12 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

It may very well work but it should only be a very slight bend.

Martin

• 07-05-2011 5:41 PM In reply to

jrantala:

I wonder, could this be "corrected"  by bending the thin long rod underneath that rotates the tonearm ? Bending the end of it it so that it is effectively a bit shorter should move all the reference points (parking position, record drop areas, end groove start) closer to platter center.

WIll this work or would I just cause more problems by attempting it ?

-jari

If your parking position is to "far" away from the disk, if your 45 and 33 comes down too early and you can't adjust it with the exenters, and if you cant find mecanical wear anywhere in the mec. sequence, the answer is YES.

Start with the adjustment for 45 setdown point (exenter) in middle position, bend the rod until you get setdown more or less correct, then fine adjust the setdown point corretly with the excenter ( 85 Mm. from center), then fine adjust 33 to 147 Mm. from center, the rest pos. should then be nearly paralel to the deck.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 07-07-2011 11:53 AM In reply to

Success! Thanks for the encouragement, I bent the rod so that it is now some 1 mm shorter and the adjustments for the 45 and 33 discs are now doable! Also the end groove detection is more or less correct.

So, the bg1700 is working again nicely!

Thanks, -jari

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)