in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-05-2011 12:46 AM by Matthew. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-02-2011 1:29 PM

Beolab 6000 with iPod

Hi,

I just bough a pair of Beolab 6000 and I was palnning to connect them directly to my iPod.

Now I read here and there that the quality of the sound will be mediocre, is this true?

What are my option knowing that I cannot afford to buy a BeoSound?

Thanks in advance for your help,

• 07-02-2011 1:49 PM In reply to

Re: Beolab 6000 with iPod

The problem with the quality in digital music is the bit rate, downloads from apple is normaly some 192 Kbps, on your Ipod maybe less, I use only 320 Kbps and no downloads, but always buy my CDs and grab them, I use 320 Kbps to save space as I have some 6000 songs and groving on my Itunes, best would be a losless format, so its not a question of getting a good amp but more the format of your digital files.

A good amp will give a better quality, but if your files are low quality it wont help you much.

I've been playing my Ipod directly with my BL 8000, and over BS 3000, and over an Onkyo amp, with the amps you improve the sound a little, but to my ears (old ones) nearly no difference.

BL 6000 are very good speakers, so keep plaing your Ipod with them, and when you have the money in your pocket get some more B&O to step it up a little.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 07-02-2011 2:03 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

sadpanda:

Hi,

I just bough a pair of Beolab 6000 and I was palnning to connect them directly to my iPod.

Now I read here and there that the quality of the sound will be mediocre, is this true?

What are my option knowing that I cannot afford to buy a BeoSound?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Several issues here -

Firstly, as Soren says, the quality of the "rips" on your iPod will obviously affect the final quality of sound.

Secondly, the quality of the DAC in the iPod, it is not up to "audiophile" standards.

Thirdly, as you have read, the BL6000's aren't the best of of B&O's offerings but they aren't half bad either, especially compared to run of the mill iPod docks etc.

The good news is - adding a Beosound between your iPod and the BS6000's will address none of the above issues and so you aren't "missing out"!Big Smile

My suggestion - Plug your iPod into your BL6000's and have a listen, you may be pleasantly surprised! Judge with you ears and not others opinions. The likely biggest improvement is from higher bitrate (or preferably lossless) source files.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-02-2011 9:41 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Recently I've heard people start to say that recent iPods are "one of the best consumer DACs out there" and from people who know their audio.

I think the difference is precisely where the audio is coming from, from either the headphone jack or a line out from the usb port section. The latter being preferred.

But a line-out would not be possible for connection directly to 'Labs since its not volume controlled, thus requiring and audiomaster.

Ever since hearing this, I've been trying to find a iPod usb end to fashion my own cable - still searching...

Evan

• 07-02-2011 10:12 PM In reply to

I only use my Ipod(s) to take my music with me. So I really dont understand the fuss about connecting it "at home".

If you have an Ipod, you will normally have a computer with Itunes, I have, and its connected to my soundsystem, a computer with a good soundcard is better than an Ipod. so if you don't have an amp, connect your computer to your active speakers, and you have a stationary system that is far better and easier to control than an Ipod.

I like my Ipod, and its the easiest way to take your music with you, and thats what it is build for, its not build to be a center piece in a sound system

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 07-03-2011 5:36 AM In reply to

IMO there are two problems, one is if the files are MP3 - then they will be low quality so try recording in Apple Lossless and the second is how you are feeding the 6000's, if it is directly to the headphone connection then this may be affecting teh sound - so the best thing would be to get an iPod Doc and connect that to the speakers - make sure it has a volume control though!

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 07-03-2011 8:41 AM In reply to

Agree with Ajames. Best you buy the standard Apple DOCK and the connection cable to get the sound into your BL6000.

The BL6000 are wonderful speakers if you do not expect to much Bass. I have them connected to my iMac in my office and love them. 

BeoVision 8-40 / BeoVision 8-32 / Beovision 6-26 / BeoSound 3200 / BeoSound 1 / BeoLab 3 /  Beolab 6000 / Beolab 2000 / Beoport / Beomedia 1 / 3* Beo4 /BeoCom 5 with VOIP

• 07-05-2011 12:46 AM In reply to

• Matthew
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-01-2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

Heribert:
    The BL6000 are wonderful speakers if you do not expect to much Bass

I agree completely. They are wonderful. The 6000's are regularly criticised on Beoworld, which is something I find curious. Before purchasing a pair 3 years ago I compared them to the 4000's both in store, and at a friend's house, and found the 4000's lacking, particularly when used in a larger space. Whilst I'm probably in the minroity, I think your speaker choice will provide you with many years of quality listening pleasure.

We have a BS3200 connected to ours, and regularly listen to music off the hard drive, which I understand is not much better in quality terms than MP3 (someone pls correct me if I'm worng here), and for general back ground listening the quality is more than sufficient - if you turn up the volume and listen closely, you can hear the difference b/w CD and hard disk, though.

Oh, and if you feel the lack of bass is an issue, you could always connect up a BL11, as we have. This was an excellent addition to the system IMO.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)