in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-30-2011 3:58 PM by Hungedu. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (25 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-02-2011 10:19 AM

B&O going 3D - good or bad idea ?

I watched the tennis on bbc hd 3d today - the much hyped live transmission ( waited ages for it - it was supposed to be the second coming - almost ) , all I can say is , if this is the future of home entertainment , forget it.

Personally I think B&O going 3d isn't such a great idea after all. The whole effect is just dreadful , it's like watching cardboard cut outs walking stiffly and having to wear glasses just reinforces the feeling of visual claustrophobia. It just looks and feels weird .

• 07-02-2011 10:38 AM In reply to

• pf85
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 145
    • Founder

Re: B&O going 3D - good or bad idea ?

Flappo:

...if this is the future of home entertainment , forget it.

... It just looks and feels weird .

Your post says it all. However, I would assume that the 3D offer is made out of necessity. Looks like an increasing number of customers are requesting it, whether they use it or not...This may be a similar "trend" like the digital camera pixelmania a few years ago.

• 07-02-2011 10:47 AM In reply to

I agree - they had no choice - much the same as the introduction of flat screens. Everyone knew that CRTs were considerably better than the first generation LCD screens but no-one would buy them. 3D is now the much hyped must have feature - if B&O did not make it, they would be criticised.

• 07-02-2011 10:51 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

I kind of agree there. 

I was lucky enough to see the 4-85 in action at Struer, and the image clarity was astonishingly good.

However, the '3D' experience was a mixed feeling.  It was a great 'novelty' - but yes, how 3D actually was it?  It was kind of like a pop up book, where 'layers' had been seperated to give a feeling of depth to the image.  I can't say if this happened all the time, but my brain definitely thought it a few times.

That said though, how 3D can 3D really be?  Are we expecting too much?

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 07-02-2011 12:37 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

9 LEE:

I kind of agree there. 

I was lucky enough to see the 4-85 in action at Struer, and the image clarity was astonishingly good.

However, the '3D' experience was a mixed feeling.  It was a great 'novelty' - but yes, how 3D actually was it?  It was kind of like a pop up book, where 'layers' had been seperated to give a feeling of depth to the image.  I can't say if this happened all the time, but my brain definitely thought it a few times.

That said though, how 3D can 3D really be?  Are we expecting too much?

Lee

And yet it is undoubtedly the future - shirley better then we have seen to date, but it is coming! We have been promised it since the '50's, more so during the '70's on "Tomorrows World " (UK science and Technology programme in the UK).

Much as flat screens that can hang on a wall like a painting have arrived, certainly by Samsung, so will 3D become the norm, with holographic TV to follow (if you believe Tomorrows World).

Given that it is coming, can you afford not to be involved. The obvious problem for B&O is that the 3Dness comes from the panel supplier - still they should hang in there until TV technology once again levels out. When CRT was king so were B&O with their (real analogue) Visionclear circuits - today Visionclear is something they hang on to although it is nothing more than a contrast screen and DSP software, software than other companies with bigger budgets can also write.

If TV technology continues at it current rate of progess I fear B&O TV's will disappear as they cannot offer more than a silver surround & connections to their own speaker system, if the technology stabilises then again they will have the time to be original in design with product that last.

At the risk of being flayed in public I think the ultra thin panels of Samsung et al point more to the future than the dinosaur that is the BV7 family - a personal opinion, but I think the BV7 and it's family of centre speakers already looked dated.

(Retires to Rugby for 3 days)!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-02-2011 3:36 PM In reply to

I wonder what it was like when color was introduced to televisions. I'm sure it seemed like a novelty and, though we saw real life in color, it must have been a difficult component to manage in the composition of a movie. Of course some 50 years later things just are in color and unless it's used very deliberately it seldom communicates anything explicit in the film. 

I think that movie critics and film makers have been more spot-on in their critiques of 3D than technological reporters. While the technology has a ways to go, we know (or at least assume) it will get there. We assume glasses will be done away with, viewing angles will increase, brightness and richness will improve, and the overall experience will feel more natural and spacious. But it's how the actual directors and film makers incorporate the 3D that will matter. Everything I've seen, from dramas to action to documentaries seem to be a collection of decisions to have things pop out at you. This is not how our real 3D world exists. I'm sure it's done for the novel value and that's the problem. Until it can be a natural component of the visual composition it will only ever be a distraction and not much good beyond the Transformers mega-blockbuster type genre.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 07-02-2011 11:22 PM In reply to

The aesthetic and emotional gestalt in the interaction and viewing of my prize BV9 is not to be trivialized lifgtly.

The total experience is greater than the sum of its parts

B
  • 07-02-2011 11:24 PM In reply to

Trip

Under anything related to the current 3D paradigms,

Glasses cannot seriously be done away with.

I only wish they could.
  • 07-03-2011 2:38 AM In reply to

this is another must have tv, they have always had something new coming out! if it was 100hz, widescreen, flat tube, flat panel, hd, led.....etc it keeps people buying tv's, i can't see a home tv doing great in 3d! but hey ho, lets wait to see whats next!! 

• 07-03-2011 6:35 AM In reply to

I sill use an Avant and a BV3. They have a better picture than any SD  on a flat panel and HD hasnt really amazed me. Yes its a bit better but you need a huge screen to make it worthwhile. I dont want a screen of say 50 inches in my front room. 3d is just another fad. Plus modern tv's are just a rectangle, nothing more. I love the Avants styling, its a piece of furniture which looks great even when turned off.

• 07-03-2011 7:19 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Maybe this will sound like I'm a technophobe, but so be it.

As a general rule, I don't like tv's. I just moved on from a 14" (!!!) 4:3 CRT that I still thought was too much of a piece of a furniture.  I have now bought the BV10-32" and screen size wise it's pretty good. I don't like huge tellies, and I don't like 3D.  I don't watch too many movies, and I agree that the 3D effect is like cardboard figure cut-outs. I don't want to don chavish glasses to watch something, and I really don't feel "immersed" in any way, form or fashion.

100hz, 200hz, 400hz, I really don't care at all. I don't even know what the 10-32 is. I don't care about being able to connect a huge variety of stuff to it either. I use a telly for news and stupid series/shows to run in the background while I'm on my computer. Often I'm wearing headphones (on my computer). 3D on tellies is like having several driver units in earphones. Not only do I not see any advantages, it introduces disadvantages, including poorer sound/picture quality (respectively), and a higher price point in the process.

• 07-03-2011 2:32 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Flappo:

I watched the tennis on bbc hd 3d today - the much hyped live transmission ( waited ages for it - it was supposed to be the second coming - almost ) , all I can say is , if this is the future of home entertainment , forget it.

Personally I think B&O going 3d isn't such a great idea after all. The whole effect is just dreadful , it's like watching cardboard cut outs walking stiffly and having to wear glasses just reinforces the feeling of visual claustrophobia. It just looks and feels weird .

With flatscreen sales falling badly over all brands 3d was needed to develop some sales, I agree its dire!- come to think of it so is LCD TV but the manufacturers might as well milk it for all its worth before OLED becomes reality and gets rid of LCD for good!

• 07-03-2011 3:03 PM In reply to

WOW Electrified, that is one nice television to buy.  BV10-32 definately my ALL TIME FAVOURITE!!!

Yep I really see 3D as nothing more than a marketing ploy.  Must admit, I hang out with a young crowd and 3D does not seem to interest any of them!

Halogram TV, now that's a different matter :)

• 07-03-2011 3:15 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Paul Winn:
    WOW Electrified, that is one nice television to buy.  BV10-32 definately my ALL TIME FAVOURITE!!!

Hehe, it's just a telly. However, I do consider it the nicest of the ugly abominations that is a telly. Unsure It has pretty good audio for speech too, which was something I went looking for.

• 07-04-2011 5:03 AM In reply to

Flappo:
    The whole effect is just dreadful , it's like watching cardboard cut outs walking stiffly

Electrified:
    I agree that the 3D effect is like cardboard figure cut-outs.

I think that varies by the movie and how it was made.

For example, I have seen that effect on the latest "Alice in Wonderland" and I believe it is caused by the film going through a post-production 3D phase where the 3D is generated from a 2D using effects processing.

On the other hand "Avatar" was filmed in 3D and is really submersive.

My latest 3D foray was the latest "Pirates of the Caribbean" and that was somewhere between those two experiences - the distraction I felt was that the camera was not framing the scenes properly ... often people would move off camera in 3D and suddenly their heads would disappear - somehow this was more disturbing than in 2D Laughing

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 07-04-2011 7:09 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

I haven't watched Alice in Wonderland, nor Avatar. 

Isn't Avatar 100 percent CGI?

• 07-04-2011 7:19 AM In reply to

Electrified:
    Isn't Avatar 100 percent CGI?

no, there were humans in some of the shots

<= right click on this and select View/Open Image to see one from IMDB

most the production stills are of the aliens that were CGIs of those actors.

This wikipedia link explains the mixed approach to filming:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(2009_film)#Filming

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 07-04-2011 7:23 AM In reply to

I heard on the BBC recently that in the US - which has had this latest revival of 3D the longest -  the numbers are falling for 3D movie attendances. Seems that a lot of movie-goers don't think its worth paying the extra couple of bucks. It's too soon to say that the boom has turned to bust already, but I think the consumer wants more than just pop-out effects - they also want a good movie and storyline. If that does not come 3D will fade away as it has in the past.

That said, B&O has to offer a 3D product if people are demanding it.

I don't know if that is correct or not

• 07-04-2011 7:31 AM In reply to

Does anyone know if the glasses will be branded Bang & Olufsen?

Will there be anything special about them? Unique functions? Styling?

I'm not sold on 3D either to be honest but it is a nice novelty I suppose.

• 07-30-2011 6:10 AM In reply to

Beovision 7-55 3D is launched

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7jTQVI_4J4

• 07-30-2011 7:47 AM In reply to

The answer is Ultra HD and Ultra 3D HD

Bno has no choice.

B

• 07-30-2011 9:04 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

shinobi52:

Beovision 7-55 3D is launched

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7jTQVI_4J4

It's these kind of launches that, I don't know why, make me cringe. "you're the first person to see the picture in the UK!". Who cares? "Exclusive interview with Derek Martin" Pardon? And hearing his interview, I'm thinking I'm associating myself with the wrong brand! Unsure Celebrity Coach Trip? Good lord. I need to lie in a darkened room for a while.

• 07-30-2011 2:00 PM In reply to

• John
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-20-2009
    • BRISTOL UK
    • Posts 62
    • Silver Member

I have studied 3D vision in the past and the cut out effect is quite common with photographs and there are psychological reasons why it occurs. It is not inevitable but it is more noticeable on some scenes. I think  glasses will always be needed with the present systems as the left eye and right eye images need to be separated.

I have seen Holograms where the cut out effect was absent and the solid effect was remarkable. It was some time ago and there were two problems that limited the entertainment value of demonstrations I saw. The first which might now have been solved is that the effect was monochrome. The second was that the result was static. To get round this will be much more tricky. There is one feature of holograms that is very different from stereo photographs and similar is that glasses are not needed.

I suppose that if there was enough determination it could be possible but the bandwidth requirement would be rather intimidating and the resolution of the recorder would need to be high. Being jaundiced about it I wonder if it would be cheaper to ask the performers to come to ones home.

• 07-30-2011 2:44 PM In reply to

hiim at the age saw cinemascope todd ao and also 3 d in cinemas 3 d then was the same as now in principle things shooting out of the screen and had to wear glasses it failed. i watched football in 3 d just to see if different sorry will stick to hd

malcolm

• 07-30-2011 3:58 PM In reply to

• Hungedu
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2009
    • Ambergris Caye, Belize
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

I'm not too much into the 3D effect since there are so few movies available with it, but the new BV7-55 does have an improved panel with a higher number of LED lights. I just ordered mine in the USA to replace my 10-year old, 32 inch Avant. 3D or not, this is going to be a huge change in my home theater experience!

BeoVision 7-55 3D, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound 8, BeoLab 7-6, BeoLab Penta III, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 2, LC-1, BeoTime (analog clock), Form 1 headphones, Beo 4 remote.

Page 1 of 1 (25 items)