in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-12-2011 6:50 PM by bayerische. 51 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (52 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-30-2011 2:57 AM

Beolab 5000 speakers

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Beolab 5000 for my restaurant, found a "as new" pair that will set me back about 1300e, is that reasonable? I think it is.

What should I expect to be included, wall mounts? Are the mounts separate or built in, sort of simple matter of "hang on wall"?

Further they have original frets, no dents and come with a one year warranty.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 06-30-2011 3:35 AM In reply to

Re: Beolab 5000 speakers

The wall mounts should be included but are very simple devices - Graham can supply new ones if necessary and they are excellent. I think the price is fair - these are sought after - I gave mine to my dentist and they look splendid in his big waiting room. They will certainly be a talking point.

• 06-30-2011 3:44 AM In reply to

Probably not a bargain, but if you want an "as new" pair, there's not much to choose from... The only pair I've seen on sale in Finland is now mine Big Smile (and definitely not "as new"). Blue ones seem to end up costing a bit more.

Originally the wall mounts came with the speakers, but fat chance having them included now Indifferent

Essentially they are just a couple of hooks on a horizontal steel plate, so in a pinch a pair of screws on the wall will do it. The speakers have holes in the back at the upper corners. I've had a WTB ad for the brackets over here for a while with no luck at all. STBbrackets will sell a repro pair for £60 including shipping - go to their web site and you'll see how it looks.

The mounting is the same for all speakers of this series.

-mika

• 06-30-2011 4:20 AM In reply to

• petermc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Shepparton, Australia
    • Posts 87
    • Founder

The correct brackets also enable you to get the level/straightness of the speakers 'just right'.

When installing my 5000's I placed the mounting bracket on the wall and measured and measured to get the level straight. When the speakers were actually mounted they were slightly off centre but as the bracket has an adjustment screw you can fine tune and obtain a perfectly straight speaker while the speaker is on the wall.

I might be fussy but when the speakers are a feature you will notice.

If  you don't receive the original B&O brackets with your new speakers STB Brackets reproductions are money well spent.

Peter

• 06-30-2011 5:29 AM In reply to

Good point with the levelness, exactly what I'm worried about (haven't installed mine yet). The Lab 5000s are so tall that the slightest error will scream out loud - I believe a wall of solid wood will be the only case where you could mount the screws accurately and might not need any kind of tweaking afterwards.

-mika

• 06-30-2011 11:52 AM In reply to

Yes Mika, they are rare in our country for sure! These are from Sweden though.

Was offered a not so minty pair for about 1000e, but I guess another 300e for something minty is a no-brainer. Cool

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 06-30-2011 12:11 PM In reply to

That's a good price. Nearly all examples that become available have dents in the stainless steel panels.

If they really are mint, you have a bargain. They are just not the same with dents and B&O ain't making any more!!!

I just sold my mint pair for the same money but brackets and manual were included. I have sold several other pairs for the same sort of money.

STB sell brackets at £60 INC carriage to Finland. That is not a bad price as carriage to Finland is expensive.

Regards Graham

• 06-30-2011 2:06 PM In reply to

How good are they BTW? I have never heard them. Scale 1-5, 5 being Beolab 5's and 1 being Beolab 4.

-Andreas

• 06-30-2011 2:17 PM In reply to

Opinions vary. We did have an article I wrote about a night speaker testing in Newcastle in which we tested 5000s against all sorts of other Beolabs. They were loved for their looks but performed less well on sound. They have a very pleasant warm sound - I like them - but personally prefer Pentas. They are also very large and have to be properly wall mounted. They were not huge sellers and are now quite scarce, and also get damaged very easily. Thus they attract very high prices.

• 06-30-2011 2:29 PM In reply to

bayerische:
    1 being Beolab 4.

Big Smile You would be welcome to come and test drive mine, but it seems I won't be getting them on the wall for weeks...

EDIT: oh yes, one point - as these were obviously intended for fixed installation on the wall, they don't have a mains connector. If you get a captive mains cord, it probably won't reach anywhere anyway, so be prepared for some electrical work.

Not much of an issue, but it's good to know that speakers with snipped power cords aren't necessarily stolen Smile

-mika

• 06-30-2011 6:40 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

bayerische:

How good are they BTW? I have never heard them. Scale 1-5, 5 being Beolab 5's and 1 being Beolab 4.

I think quite highly of my pair. They are a very accurate speaker and are very smooth. If you get far enough away from them and mount them on a dense wall the bass can be rather suprising!

Of all the speakers I've owned - all are defeated by my 5000s.

You will be very, very happy. Yes -  thumbs up

BTW, regarding the mounting: I used three of those expanding type wall anchors to attach each bracket to the wall (drywall). If I recall correctly, the original brackets allow for 5 connections to the wall.

Evan

• 06-30-2011 7:49 PM In reply to

Evan:

bayerische:

I think quite highly of my pair. They are a very accurate speaker and are very smooth. If you get far enough away from them and mount them on a dense wall the bass can be rather suprising!

Of all the speakers I've owned - all are defeated by my 5000s.

You will be very, very happy. Yes -  thumbs up

BTW, regarding the mounting: I used three of those expanding type wall anchors to attach each bracket to the wall (drywall). If I recall correctly, the original brackets allow for 5 connections to the wall.

Sounds good Evan!

There's about an inch of stone glued to drywall where they are coming, so I'm guessing some kind of drywall anchors.

-Andreas

• 06-30-2011 7:52 PM In reply to

tournedos:

bayerische:
    1 being Beolab 4.

Big Smile You would be welcome to come and test drive mine, but it seems I won't be getting them on the wall for weeks...

EDIT: oh yes, one point - as these were obviously intended for fixed installation on the wall, they don't have a mains connector. If you get a captive mains cord, it probably won't reach anywhere anyway, so be prepared for some electrical work.

Not much of an issue, but it's good to know that speakers with snipped power cords aren't necessarily stolen Smile

Thanks for the offer Mika! I would pick you up on it, if you already had them mounted!

OK, good point with the mains, I guess I'll have to go and get some supplies for that then... I'm pretty used to this sorts of operations, and have some basic electrical skills.

-Andreas

• 07-01-2011 5:30 PM In reply to

bayerische:

Was offered a not so minty pair for about 1000e, but I guess another 300e for something minty is a no-brainer. Cool

This is a better price for a mint one on Ebay

B&O item 1, B&O item 2, B&O item 3,...................B&O item 735

Beovirus? What's that?

• 07-01-2011 8:38 PM In reply to

Leslie:

bayerische:

Those are cheap! And looks great! However, I have already closed the deal, and I'm sure I'll be happy, I'm buying from the same company in Sweden from where I bought a BV5 a few years ago. And the best part is, I'm getting them delivered to my restaurant, by the company owner himself! Cool

-Andreas

• 07-01-2011 10:54 PM In reply to

bayerische:

Leslie:

bayerische:

Those are cheap! And looks great! However, I have already closed the deal, and I'm sure I'll be happy, I'm buying from the same company in Sweden from where I bought a BV5 a few years ago. And the best part is, I'm getting them delivered to my restaurant, by the company owner himself! Cool

Vodka on the table, then maybe he forget to get paid.Laughing

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 07-02-2011 2:23 AM In reply to

Søren Mexico:

Or show him the ad on Ebay and demand for a discountSuper Angry

Anyway, enjoy your 5000'sYes -  thumbs up

B&O item 1, B&O item 2, B&O item 3,...................B&O item 735

Beovirus? What's that?

• 07-02-2011 3:41 AM In reply to

bayerische:

Congrats on your latest purchase. Yes -  thumbs up Looks like I will have to return to Finland again soon! Cool

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 07-02-2011 3:45 AM In reply to

Leslie:

Søren Mexico:

Or show him the ad on Ebay and demand for a discountSuper Angry

Anyway, enjoy your 5000'sYes -  thumbs up

No I wouldn't do that. Agreed is agreed.

I definitely will, and hopefully thousands of customers too! Yes -  thumbs up

I have one question though, they will be connected to a Airport Express, what's the best measure for volume control? I can't control it via itunes, because there's already another Airport Express connected to 3 sets of amps that deliver music through-out the restaurant.

Cheers

Andreas

-Andreas

• 07-03-2011 4:44 PM In reply to

• akoro
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-07-2008
    • Espoo, Finland
    • Posts 88
    • Gold Member

You can control the sound of each AirPort Express individually from iTunes when you have multiple units so it should not be an issue.

Of course you could add a BeoSound/BeoMaster of your choice to gain Beo4 volume control and get those nice displays working. Then just connect the AirPort Express to a.aux.
  • 07-03-2011 7:22 PM In reply to

akoro:
    You can control the sound of each AirPort Express individually from iTunes when you have multiple units so it should not be an issue.

Of course you could add a BeoSound/BeoMaster of your choice to gain Beo4 volume control and get those nice displays working. Then just connect the AirPort Express to a.aux.

Oh?! Cool! I didn't know that! That is going to sort my problem. Thanks! Yes -  thumbs up

-Andreas

• 07-04-2011 12:34 AM In reply to

• akoro
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-07-2008
    • Espoo, Finland
    • Posts 88
    • Gold Member

bayerische:

akoro:

Oh?! Cool! I didn't know that! That is going to sort my problem. Thanks! Yes -  thumbs up

Yeah you can, just press the AirPlay button and choose multiple speakers. This picture is from my computer where I have AirPort Express and a AppleTV. There is one caveat though. You cannot do this with a iOS device, only from a computer with iTunes.

• 07-04-2011 5:22 AM In reply to

akoro:
    You cannot do this with a iOS device, only from a computer with iTunes.

I think you mean that he can not select multiple speakers from an IOS device - an IOS does only one Airplay device at a time ... which sort of makes sense if you think of the IOS as being a remote that is with you in the room where you want to be hearing the music

Whereas your iTunes source is more like a broadcast source :-)

But how does your set-up handle an IOS device trying to grab an Airplay device from the iTunes master ?

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 07-04-2011 10:16 AM In reply to

• akoro
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-07-2008
    • Espoo, Finland
    • Posts 88
    • Gold Member

elephant:

akoro:

I think you mean that he can not select multiple speakers from an IOS device - an IOS does only one Airplay device at a time ... which sort of makes sense if you think of the IOS as being a remote that is with you in the room where you want to be hearing the music

But how does your set-up handle an IOS device trying to grab an Airplay device from the iTunes master ?

Quite true what you said.

If you try to grab the connection you will get a error message in the iOS device saying "The speaker "you name it" is currently being used by someone else."

• 07-04-2011 6:35 PM In reply to

akoro:

elephant:

akoro:

Quite true what you said.

If you try to grab the connection you will get a error message in the iOS device saying "The speaker "you name it" is currently being used by someone else."

Awesome!

No problem, I'm beaming from an old iBook.

Another Airport Express arriving tomorrow, and eagerly awaiting the BL5000! YEAH! Cool

-Andreas

Page 1 of 3 (52 items) 1 2 3 Next >