in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-03-2011 8:15 PM by Jonathan. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-29-2011 12:53 AM

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Used Beolab 1s...

In the next day or so, I hope to check out a pair of BeoLab 1s that I have located. 

Are there any known faults to watch for?  Anything specific to look out for?

Thanks in advance,

Stan

• 06-29-2011 4:54 AM In reply to

Re: Used Beolab 1s...

Stan,

I don't know of any faults but check over the Speaker for damage to the frets and the base's and make sure that the little ajuster feet under the bases,for making the speakers level on the floor are all there.They can be either flat for wooden floors or spikes for carpet!

To remove the fret's,pop your finger in the gap on top of the Lab's and you will feel a little clip,then push the clip to one side,then you can slide the fret up to check the speaker cones.

I have 4 Lab one's in a surround set up :-) Enjoy if you buy Stan and let us know how you get on!

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

• 07-01-2011 6:49 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Thanks for your input.  I will now report my findings:

I was hoping to fall in love, but that did not happen Confused.

To state the obvious, they are BIG.  Perhaps too big for their intended placement (the room has a very high ceiling, but it not very large).  Then again, when I'm not feeling self-conscious about their "look at me" size, I find them quite beautiful.

Soundwise, I found them to be consistent with most of the feedback found on this site: outstanding, if not a bit harsh at times and somewhat limited bass for such a large speaker - I do have a BL2 so this isn't a big concern, except I think a speaker that big should not need a sub.  Also, it's the bass response that is driving me from my BL8000s + BL2 setup so I wonder if I might find myself in the same spot a few years down the road.

They were in decent shape.  No major scratches (except a small chip on the very top of one).  Rubber feet where there.  I couldn't find the little clip so I did not slide up the frets, but the frets were in good condition.  The LED was missing (or perhaps had been pushed down the hole) on one speaker.

Perhaps I should just keep saving and buy the BL9s at some point (and convince my wife along the way as she doesn't like them much)... or I could buy these now - they're definitely an improvement over my BL8000s - and not have to convince my wife... I have a few days to decide before the seller puts them back on eBay.

Stan

• 07-02-2011 6:35 PM In reply to

they are a very imposing speaker but do not quite have the sound to match the looks!!  I think the penta's sound far better but are a little more dated looks wise. i think if you get around the monolithic size then these aren't a bad speaker, are they a good price?  Cheers Nick 

• 07-03-2011 11:56 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

They're $2500 + ~$500 shipping.

It is hard to say whether this is a good price because, in the US, they are a rare find used.  Relative to original retail, this is an amazing price (although many argue they were overpriced).  I seem to remember seeing them sold for ~$4-5K a few years ago.  I see they go for $3-4K at the 2nd hand UK retailers which also points to this being a good, although maybe not great price (I assume the UK retailers stand behind their products whereas these are "as is" from a pawn shop). 

Then again, it seems, the price of all 2nd hand B&O has been coming down lately (judging from ebay prices).  I was thinking about selling my current speakers to fund the BL9 purchase so I've been watching the prices for BL8000s and BL2s.  Their prices have gone down ~20% in the last couple months - probably economic, but could also be seasonal, can't say since I have no data from last year - which also makes the BL1 more attractive (since I do not plan to sell my current speakers to fund).

I think I'm going to buy them.  They are so rare it may be many months before another set is available, and I was actually lucky enough to check these out in person even though the seller is 2000 mi away.  If I don't like I can probably sell them, worst case, for a small loss.

There, I think I've convinced myself Big Smile

Stan

• 07-03-2011 12:10 PM In reply to

Sorted, let us know what you think when you get them!!

• 07-03-2011 8:15 PM In reply to

Stan:

They're $2500 + ~$500 shipping.

It is hard to say whether this is a good price because, in the US, they are a rare find used.  Relative to original retail, this is an amazing price (although many argue they were overpriced).  I seem to remember seeing them sold for ~$4-5K a few years ago.  I see they go for $3-4K at the 2nd hand UK retailers which also points to this being a good, although maybe not great price (I assume the UK retailers stand behind their products whereas these are "as is" from a pawn shop). 

Then again, it seems, the price of all 2nd hand B&O has been coming down lately (judging from ebay prices).  I was thinking about selling my current speakers to fund the BL9 purchase so I've been watching the prices for BL8000s and BL2s.  Their prices have gone down ~20% in the last couple months - probably economic, but could also be seasonal, can't say since I have no data from last year - which also makes the BL1 more attractive (since I do not plan to sell my current speakers to fund).

I think I'm going to buy them.  They are so rare it may be many months before another set is available, and I was actually lucky enough to check these out in person even though the seller is 2000 mi away.  If I don't like I can probably sell them, worst case, for a small loss.

There, I think I've convinced myself Big Smile

Stan

Yes -  thumbs up Good decision

BUY THEM!!!

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)