in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-28-2011 10:27 PM by Evan. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-28-2011 5:15 AM

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

Mystery B&O (1978 should give you a hint)

Oh yes!

I remember lusting after this at the dealer in 1978.

I ended up buying a BeoMaster 3400 Quad - still with me today, BeoGram3400 Quad, and 2 Beovox 5702's.

This beast was $1400 then - a chunk in anyone's dictionary. 2x 105WRMS @ 8 ohms.

Can anyone guess what it is?

And if anyone has one for sale, I'm very interested!

Menahem

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 06-28-2011 5:21 AM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

Re: Mystery B&O (1978 should give you a hint)

Drool, drool....

Output amplifier capacitors - 15,000uF 63V - now where can you find an amp with brutes like this in today's mini-micro market?

And a fat toroidal transformer!!!

Size is EVERYTHING!

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 06-28-2011 7:16 AM In reply to

I don't think this was a B & O concept, however it does look good! Deep down in memory lane there sits a brand that used design like this and that is the Japanese firm of Nakamichi. Famous for it's high-end cassette tape players (dragon) and also some very good omaps and receivers.

• 06-28-2011 8:29 AM In reply to

ernie:
    Japanese firm of Nakamichi.

That is exactly what it is.

A Nakamichi 730.

I had one. My actual unit is pictured at the bottom of THIS PAGE. I sold it to the fellow that owns the website -he develops remote control systems for them to replace the missing original. The remote was an option on these and few, if any, survive. I have a lead on one out of Brazil and will buy it for the same fellow if it should come to fruition.

To tie this back to B&o... My first ever "hands on" experience with B&o was standing in a store while my friend took delivery of his new 730 back in ~1978 as you mention.

They are wonderful, beautifully built pieces with loads of power. Extremely heavy. They sometimes had issues in higher humidity locales with the touch sensitive switches and especially with the volume dial that was a silk screened celluloidesque ribbon that spooled up. I probably would have kept mine as it was about as good of an example as one could find -but at the time I made a conscious decision to concentrate on just one marque.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 06-28-2011 1:36 PM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

You guys are good!

That was at the height of B&O's technical expertise and reliability, and other firms were clamouring to emulate them.

Nak's efforts were the best advertisement for B&O.

Menahem

• 06-28-2011 10:27 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Jaff, Before I bought my Niles 275, I tried to get my hands on a used Nakamichi PA-7. Sadly it never happened...

@Menahem, talk about toroids and caps!! (PA-7)

Evan

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)