in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-01-2011 11:16 AM by Rich. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-26-2011 2:09 PM

• stevepe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-26-2011
    • San Francisco, California
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

Beovox C-75 recap

Hello,

First post here.

I'd like to ask about replacing the crossover caps in this speaker.  These were purchased new by the PO in Denmark in '83.

The top and bottom drivers are not tilted like I've read about.  All four had foam surrounds, no rubber.  Japanese drivers.  C-75 Type 6323.  

I think I read that some of this style came with 63v caps.  These are 100v. 

Anyway, I installed new foam surrounds from goodhifi, (good product, not real easy for a first try on something so small- but successful), and now I'm wondering if it would be good to replace the original 6,8 mfd 100v caps. Can someone recommend the best type/brand for this speaker?  Did I read that Dillen has kits for some equipment?  I'd welcome a PM.   

I'm brand new at this, but I'm suspicious of the 56 cent capacitors I see available online.  

These speakers sound great.  My foam repair has survived several vigorous playings of Harry Nilsson's, Into the Fire, and the aluminum cabinets really appeal to me.  I've think I've figured out how to restore the cabinets decently, too.

Thanks for the help.  Please excuse me if the photo doesn't come through.  I'll figure it out eventually.

Steve

Ps.  (edit)   I'm on a Mac with Safari, and the results of my searching the general forum seem to tell me my photos won't work for the time being on this site.  Not important for this post, though.  No avatar either?  

• 06-29-2011 1:02 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beovox C-75 recap

Welcome to Beoworld !

The C75 is a nice speaker and it's getting rare.
    The crossover circuit is quite simple.
    The capacitors are not very critical in this circuit and any decent quality bipolar electrolytics
    will be fine. Any well-assorted electronic components store will have them.
    I can also supply the capacitors but there's not a dedicated kit as such for this model.

Great to hear that you had success with mounting GoodHifi surrounds.
    Other members can make them fit too and it seems, it's only me who can't make any decent repairs with them.  Geeked

Martin

• 06-29-2011 10:45 AM In reply to

• stevepe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-26-2011
    • San Francisco, California
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the advice, and the nice welcome.  I'll track down a replacement electrolytic here in town, then.

These speakers still sound nice after 28 years.  I'm listening to them in a medium sized room with a couple of eight inch 6 ohm sub woofers.  The capacitors will last exactly 30 years and then fail, right?

Wink

The foam was still intact when I brought them home, so I was able to listen and be impressed enough to attempt a repair.  The old foam surrounds looked "fuzzy" and started to crack after a few hours of playing.  (The beocenter 7700 I bought with them I think will stay broken.)  

The clothes pin method of attaching the the inner part of the foam ring to the cone didn't seem like it would work, because there just isn't much room in these little guys.  I used jar lids, the kind with rounded off top edges. and a little added weight to glue the inner part down and conform the foam to the cone.  

Am I correct in my understanding that I can't post photos from a Mac using Safari?  No PMs, either?  No avatar!!!?  There is alway email, if anyone is interested in photos.  I take plenty.

Thanks,

Steve

• 07-01-2011 4:47 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Hi!

Well I use a Mac and there's no restrictions here for us!

I'm looking forward to seeing your refoam job then!

Jacques

• 07-01-2011 11:16 AM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

When I refoamed S40s last year, and CX50s this year, I did not "clamp" the foam ring in any way.

The directions I was given basically said apply the adhesive, let the adhesive become tacky (partially set), then press the foam and cone together with fingers, continually moving around the circumference of the foam until the adhesive was fully set.  Worked fine.

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)