in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-29-2011 1:33 AM by McRib. 42 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (43 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-26-2011 10:58 AM In reply to

Re: Apple to introduce TV sets

Totally agree with Moxxey. I know Selfridges, London well. Very good Loewe stand too.

Out of interest I'd love to say B&O lasts however, i've found different. I've bought Panasonic?technics gear since 1985 and found their products last a good 10+ years - Cd players, VCRs, Amps etc. My B&O Century's electric door has been temporamental from Day 1, The Tape deck died after 3 years, the Cd jumps and don't get me started on my dam DVD1! So maybe we are under an illusion! Why did I pay £750 for a DVD player that won't even play DVDs properly? Hummm

• 06-26-2011 11:28 AM In reply to

I think that big corporations do a pretty good job of keeping their legal practices separate from their business practices.  It is not uncommon for two competitors to being suing each other over IP infringement at the same time that they are both manufacturing and selling components to each other.  Happens all the time in the automotive industry as well as the consumer electronics industry.

From what I read on the web, Samsung already supplies components for iPhones and iPads, even though they obviously make competitive products and are being sued by Apple over these products.

Bottom line is that if Samsung runs the numbers and sees $$$, then they would supply screens to Apple.  Getting their product into a higher price point display would probably be good for Samsung, who would likely see a halo effect with their own branded product line.

Of course, this is merely speculation on my part.

Cheers,

TMQ

• 06-26-2011 12:04 PM In reply to

• pf85
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 145
    • Founder

Chris:

If a nice looking Apple TV does come out and it is affordable, with great connectivity and is cosmetically amazing, the Beovision 8 and 10 will have to be bloody good to keep themselves in the market. B&O can't survive selling the odd 7-55 to "snobs"

Owning a 7-55 set (TV / Stand / loudspeaker) I agree that B&O needs to have a good family of TVs that allow customers to grow, in this regard, the portfolio needs tweaks in the entry range. (My start with B&O TVs 24 years ago was with a humble, still in use LX 2502).

B&O is expensive, however, with a TV "set" and the system price you purchase a two- axis motorized stand (should survive forever), an outstanding speaker (7/4 or 7/6 - should last forever) and a top quality screen with built in BS3 and tons of speaker and surround options.
    Most likely, 30.000 - 40.000 TV hours down the line, B&O can still service the set, moreover, the capabilities of the system are barely challenged.   What would an equal system - not just a shiny display - from Apple cost, including above mentioned components and longterm service promise? 
    I am not sure the world would be that far apart.

Re Apple. The brand has outstanding products and a very strong appeal. However, their play may be more in managing content. Under such a scenario, not sure I would like to route my content preferences over my seller of hardware... I see it important that B&O further improves link and interface capability of its TVs... giving their customers the choice of which hardware to connect... it may well be the Apple TV box.

• 06-26-2011 12:18 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

MightyQuinn:

Bottom line is that if Samsung runs the numbers and sees $$, then they would supply screens to Apple. 

They already do - for iPads and Cinema Displays, amongst other things. Indeed, Apple invested something like £150 million in Samsung's LCD production a few years ago.

They'll supply parts, no doubt about it. But whether they'll start working with Apple on TVs, their core market, is another thing entirely.

Paul - I've had so many software issues with BV7-40s over the last few years, you do have wonder why we bother!

• 06-26-2011 7:08 PM In reply to

• Movie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Posts 90
    • Bronze Member

Dont think B&O will have anything to worry them  - Apples could not even make iMac with a decent screen http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/39673.aspx?PageIndex=2

• 06-26-2011 7:42 PM In reply to

I use MacBooks and they have the best screens that I've ever come across!  Often i'll be on them for 7 hours a day and no tired eyes! Stunning quality i'd say!

• 06-27-2011 2:26 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Movie:

Dont think B&O will have anything to worry them  - Apples could not even make iMac with a decent screen

They don't make the screens, Samsung do. My Cinema Display screen is fantastic. No problems with it.

There were some problems with earlier iMacs where they sourced cheaper screens, but recent ones, since the launch of the 21.5", are fine. Of course, the glossy/matte screen issue is something entirely different!

• 06-27-2011 2:32 AM In reply to

I actually cancelled my cable subscription a while ago. Put the money I saved into extra bandwidth on my broadband. Here, all the "tv" we watch is in the form of downloaded or streamed content.

I use VPN to emulate IP-numbers in other territories, in order to be able to watch US, UK and other content without limitation - eventually, these restrictions will disappear, as they are based upon selling for retransmission in other countries, but as people are watching more and more content through the web, that market will be reduced in size.

Analyst's predictions below, as well as a recent Apple-patent. Apple have also patented a "menu overlay" that help people browse the web for content they wish to watch, listen to, take part in. 

And the biggest market will be interactive gaming, of course. There's a whole generation of game-players who are founding families (or just about to) and who want to keep playing.

Apple has recently applied for patents that involve recording and browsing television, broadcast menus, a TV version of the dock overlay we see on Macs, and other DVRs. "As recently as May the US Patent & Trademark Office has published Apple patents relating to television-specific technology. In a patent published in January, Apple explores advanced TV broadcast menus that could be used in a 'display with built-in functionality'." Said Munster.

• iCloud. "At first the only media iCloud will store is music and pictures, but we believe Apple may add movies and TV shows purchased or rented in iTunes to the iCloud service, which could be viewed on a TV."
    • Patents. "As recently as May-11 the US Patent & Trademark Office has published Apple patents relating to television-specific technology. In a patent published in Jan-11, Apple explores advanced TV broadcast menus that could be used in 'a display with built-in functionality (e.g, a television).'"
    • The App Store. "Apple has sold over 200 [million] iOS devices, has over 225 [million] iTunes accounts with credit cards, and developers have built over 425 [thousand] apps for the App Store in less than three years, including 90 [thousand] apps made specifically for the iPad in just 14 months as iPad unit sales reached over 25 [million]. In other words, Apple's strong iOS developer community would likely jump at the chance to build apps for an Apple Television, and Apple's iOS users would likely jump at the chance to buy one."
    • Big screens. "Recent developments in Apple's strategy, including the component deal we believe could secure up to 50" LCD displays, bolsters our confidence that the company remains serious about the connected living room."

• 06-27-2011 3:07 AM In reply to

So they take the boxes in a functional block diagram of a generic PVR, rename them "engines", and are granted a patent. Scary.

-mika

• 06-27-2011 3:22 AM In reply to

moxxey:
    The age of the sales person sort of summed up B&O's market (or who they view as their market). People 50+, with a bit too much spare cash, willing to invest in a TV that lasts a little longer than your average TV. What they fail to realise is that kids love to swap out and get the latest equipment. It's the new fad. People don't keep electronic devices for years. They want the latest mobile, iPad, TV and car. They get bored, quickly. They don't like to be seen with the same stuff for too long. This is the market which B&O will have to appeal to in the very near future. 

The way the economy is going it would, in my opinion, be fatal for B&O to just join in with the throw-away society. What's happening in Greece is shortly going to happen in a whole lot more places, and the US & UK are not immune. High inflation, high youth unemployment. B&O will be more than glad to have a 50+ segment in their market with some spare cash (until inflation takes it away!)

moxxey:
    and with a really old, greying, sales person wandering around aimlessly.

I hope he doesn't use Beoworld! Nothing new here....... think back and you'll recall that 20 year olds think 40 year olds are past it. Your perspective will change in years to come!

Now, where can I pre-order that zimmer frame with TV remote and 3D headset connections built-in?........... Apple or B&O...................

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 06-27-2011 4:36 AM In reply to

tournedos:

So they take the boxes in a functional block diagram of a generic PVR, rename them "engines", and are granted a patent. Scary.

This is sketch 7 of many, detailing the patent.

BUT - they have to do this. Since Apple is now one of the world's highest valued companies, they are also the target of many suits from people who wish to have a piece of the cake. By protecting ideas they are working on, through patents, they are building protection against such lawsuits from people who claim they had similar ideas.

For instance, I should have patented the quite similar concept that I presented in detail to B&O in 2007, but which B&O didn't have the resources (or desire) to pursue then. Might have been useful to be the holder of that patent today. Big Smile

• 06-27-2011 4:48 AM In reply to

soundproof:
    For instance, I should have patented the quite similar concept that I presented in detail to B&O in 2007, but which B&O didn't have the resources (or desire) to pursue then. Might have been useful to be the holder of that patent today. Big Smile

If you have evidence of prior use or publication of an idea, then any later patent for the same thing by someone else will not apply to you.

Of course, you wil need the resources to compete with Apple if you go down this route.....  Whistle

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 06-27-2011 5:42 AM In reply to

Big Smile Not something one does without company coffers at the ready.

It's pretty obvious that how content will be distributed to users will change drastically, and that traditional broadcasting is over - which means there is a market for set-ups that easily integrate with users, and that display sound and image on command. I look at how teenagers and people in their twenties are "watching television" and they have been using Apple's displays for years now, and find traditional broadcasting completely irrelevant.

For B&O this is going to be a huge challenge, and unfortunately they're only now getting into an Apple-compliant mode. I'm still befuddled by those who don't realize that this is the content distribution standard. Just as vinyl was a distribution standard once, and CDs took over -- B&O were quick to integrate those in premium solutions. Too bad they didn't do the same with what's become the universal standard for digital content.

BTW - for those who want a lot of other sources through their AppleTV.

http://firecore.com/atvflash

• 06-27-2011 6:17 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

vikinger:

The way the economy is going it would, in my opinion, be fatal for B&O to just join in with the throw-away society. 

My comment about 55+ year olds wasn't supposed to be ageist, just the narrow nature of the B&O market. The whole reason for this debate is Apple getting in to the TV market and someone mentioning that Apple won't be able to compete with the "snob" value. My reason for bringing up the age thing was that you have to be fairly "old" to appreciate B&O being a brand that has snob value. It generally doesn't apply to the majority of people under 40 - those who generally spend more money and time on gadgets and electronics.

ie. if Apple do get in to the TV business then it will further affect B&O's appeal to the younger generation, the generation that will quickly become their audience in the near future.

The BV10 was supposed to be a value TV. A TV that was aimed more at the masses. How the 46" has come in at a £8900 price point is beyond me. There's no rhyme or reason for this looking at the rest of the market.

• 06-27-2011 6:57 AM In reply to

I totally agree with Moxxey on his comments! I really feel for Tue, he's got an incredibly hard job ahead of him with a lot of old wood to throw out!

• 06-27-2011 7:43 PM In reply to

age is never a barrier, attitude is.....

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 06-28-2011 4:51 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

Jonathan:

age is never a barrier, attitude is.....

+1

Just on the partnering, I always felt that LG would partner with Apple in providing screens as LG currently uses the "Time Machine" name in their tv's for recording to USB hard drives; and not Samsung, who B&O partner with.

Don't know how this will fare for them as i don't like anything from either company, Samsung or LG.  But then again, we all know, it's not the screen, it's the picture engine.

:-)

• 06-29-2011 1:33 AM In reply to

• McRib
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-01-2009
    • USA
    • Posts 19
    • Bronze Member

it'll be more of a conduit for their content services, not necessarily a re-invention of the tv (read: dramatic improvements in picture and sound quality). if you look at the ipod, it has decent sound but is not an audiophile product. it's just a super-streamlined device. I'm sure the apple tv *will* have a good picture (as their big monitors have great contrast/sharpness, etc), and a good menu design, but it's not something designed by video enthusiasts for video enthusiasts, per sé. so, to sum up, it'll be a great performer in its own niche!

Page 2 of 2 (43 items) < Previous 1 2