in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-19-2011 7:02 PM by AdamAnt316. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-23-2011 3:55 PM

• AdamAnt316
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Massachusetts, USA
    • Posts 68
    • Bronze Member

Beocord 8002 shipping damage

Hello everyone. I was recently sent a Beocord 8002. Unfortunately, the packing job wasn't quite up-to-snuff, and several of the buttons on the front panel have somehow been pushed out of their normal slots, and are floating around within the case. Along with this, I found several plastic fragments among the bubble wrap which had been wrapped around the unit. How are these buttons normally held in place? Also, how do I open the unit in order to try and put things back the way they should be? Thanks in advance.

-Adam

3000 | RX 2 | RX | TX 2 | 8000 | 1800

Is there such a thing as too many Beograms?

• 06-23-2011 4:56 PM In reply to

Re: Beocord 8002 shipping damage

I think this is probably identical to my BC9000: To open the case, you simply loosen the two screw at the back, and flip the housing open towards the front like a clamshell. Good luck!

Rudy

• 06-23-2011 6:38 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Sounds like you have got quite a bit of work ahead of you! I hope you payed very little for this...?

So you know sounds like the clips have snapped which hold the board to the front panel, and thus holding the keys in place. Martin once came up with a good idea of bonding some flat head bolts to the panel underside and then securing the board to the panel using these bolts.

Olly.

• 06-23-2011 9:46 PM In reply to

• AdamAnt316
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Massachusetts, USA
    • Posts 68
    • Bronze Member

Yeah, I only paid about $40. Still, I'd like to have this intact so I can experience the wonders of B&O cassette decks (especially since this is one of their best). Hopefully, Martin can fill us in on how this method is employed. Once I have a moment, I'll open it up and take some photos, to see how bad the damage is.

-Adam

• 06-24-2011 1:06 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

If too much is broken, the easiest thing would probably be to replace the whole front panel.
    With the Beocord open, don't open the top part up to vertical but instead lift it a bit and pull it forward a
    couple of centimeters to allow access to the bottom edge of the front (over the edge of a table or similar).
    A couple of claws can be released from below and the button panel can be lifted up.
    Maybe these claws have broken.
    Anyway, I suggest you check it out good. It it took a serious hit, there may be other damages inside, broken boards etc.

Martin

• 06-25-2011 5:17 PM In reply to

• AdamAnt316
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Massachusetts, USA
    • Posts 68
    • Bronze Member

Dillen:

If too much is broken, the easiest thing would probably be to replace the whole front panel.
    With the Beocord open, don't open the top part up to vertical but instead lift it a bit and pull it forward a
    couple of centimeters to allow access to the bottom edge of the front (over the edge of a table or similar).

How do I get to this point, exactly? Is this after unscrewing the two access screws on the back, or is there more disassembly required? Anyway, here are some pictures of the front of the unit, as received. I can take more photos, if required.

Beocord 8002 damage 1

Beocord 8002 damage 2

Becord 8002 front panel damage

I can make them larger if necessary.

-Adam

• 06-25-2011 5:57 PM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Oh dear!

Badly packed is a bit of an understatement! What's the wood like? It looks very dirty too...

Anyway, once you have loosened the screws, just flip the whole thing open like a car bonnet!

How to remove the panel will seem obvious while you're in there. 

My advice is to download the service manual Wink which shows how to do it if you don't feel confident.

You will also probably be surprised to find, inside:

- loads of black goo, once belts,

- leaked, once viscous, oil from the opening lid system, loads of it too (at the back, above  the mech and, yes, all around the place!)

Good luck, we've been there!

Jacques

• 06-26-2011 1:20 AM In reply to

• AdamAnt316
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Massachusetts, USA
    • Posts 68
    • Bronze Member

The front right corner of the wood is a bit messed up (possibly the impact point), but otherwise seems intact. The area under the transport cover door looks OK, and the door itself still works fine. The guy who sent it to me claimed it was working, so hopefully there won't be too much to do to it once the shipping damage is fixed up. I'll try and post some more pics as soon as I have time to open it up, to better get a glimpse of the carnage.

-Adam

• 07-18-2011 3:50 PM In reply to

• AdamAnt316
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Massachusetts, USA
    • Posts 68
    • Bronze Member

An update!

Thanks to a friend of mine, the front panel of my Beocord 8002 is once again as it should be, and the unit seems to be working perfectly! Big Smile He used a combination of the old plastic clips and some metal brads to re-mount the contact board to the back of the button bezel, and all of the buttons I've tried thus far work fine (had to use pictures of other Beocord 800x units to determine which button went where). Plus, after replacing one of the belts and working on the pulley assembly, the transport is running nicely (haven't tried the record function yet). Gotta love the real-time counter. This has to be the coolest cassette deck I've ever owned (which makes sense, since the Beogram 8000 is the coolest TT I've ever owned). Thanks for all the help! Cool

-Adam

• 07-18-2011 5:00 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

Score!  Congrats!

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 07-18-2011 8:07 PM In reply to

Buy your friend a beer !!! or maybe two.

I gad to make similar repairs to a Beocenter 7000 about ayear ago.

• 07-19-2011 12:07 AM In reply to

• AdamAnt316
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Massachusetts, USA
    • Posts 68
    • Bronze Member

Eugene:

Buy your friend a beer !!! or maybe two.

Yeah, he definitely deserves something for what he was able to do with it. Smile 

Anyway, one thing I've noticed thus far is that the "RECORD" light appears to be out. "REC OPEN" lights when I press it, but "RECORD" does nothing, even though it definitely does start up and record. How hard is it to replace these indicator lamps?

-Adam

• 07-19-2011 3:10 PM In reply to

• AdamAnt316
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Massachusetts, USA
    • Posts 68
    • Bronze Member

Hello again, everyone. As I may have mentioned before, the wood in one of the corners got damaged along with the button panel. Might there be a way to put it back to normal? See the damage below:

Finally, for your perusal, here's a quick pic I took of the innards before it was repaired. Just glad that the boards seem to have survived whatever messed up the front panel. About the only thing I've noticed is a possible torque issue with the tape nearly over, as I can't get it to fast-forward for more than a few seconds at a time after the real-time counter passes the 45 minute point. Is this normal?

-Adam

• 07-19-2011 3:16 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

AdamAnt316:

About the only thing I've noticed is a possible torque issue with the tape nearly over, as I can't get it to fast-forward for more than a few seconds at a time after the real-time counter passes the 45 minute point. Is this normal?

While I can't answer your question, my BC4500 has the same quirk.

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 07-19-2011 7:02 PM In reply to

• AdamAnt316
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Massachusetts, USA
    • Posts 68
    • Bronze Member

Just noticed a possible problem... Surprise

With headphones plugged in, I can hear a near-constant crackling sound, mainly in the right channel. While this is most prevalent during playback, some soft crackling can be heard while the deck is idle. Best I can tell, it doesn't affect the tapes played in the machine, which is a good thing, but I still find it annoying. Any ideas? Hoping this isn't a major issue... Unsure

-Adam

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)