in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-27-2011 1:18 AM by Jonathan. 41 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (42 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-24-2011 4:49 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: The BeoWorld Awards 2011

Llewelyn:

I think comparing the lack of votes to interest in the Struer trip is rather puerile if I am honest. 

PUERILE

I think I would have chosen my wording a little better.........

I too am rather saddened by the lack of voting in this but I am also realistic enough to know how internet fora tend to work. I aren't in the least bothered that no can be bothered to vote (myself & the rest of the moderating team do this by choice & out of a shared interest) but I AM bothered by your (frankly offensive) comments/choice of words. I can understand your apathy towards voting but to then post such a (IMO) lame excuse for not doing so whilst kicking the people who selflessly run this site in the teeth is well out of order. Lee is far too polite to say this & I may indeed get a slapped wrist for speaking my mind but I will not sit back while a friend of mine is accused of being childish & juvenile - shame on youSad

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 06-24-2011 5:52 PM In reply to

I have posted twice here in 2011. The way this thread has evolved shows me why.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 06-24-2011 6:22 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Peter :

... as lee has said, it is not a case of being angry - it is more of disappointment that we have clearly not
    communicated the ethos of the site well enough to make this something that people are eager to do.

Peter and Lee,  I absolutely don't believe you failed to comunicate the ethos of the site,  but I strongly
    believe the Award has not been announced efficiently.

I must admit that I missed the vote too.

As mentioned in some posts - many users seem to go directly to "active topics"  or  "my discussions"
    without paying much attention to the "General Forum".

Hindsight is easier than foresight - maybe the text and colour of the banner "Are you sure we have
    your correct E-mail Adress? ..." could temporarily be changed to make important annoncements
    - it's part of every single thread - no excuses anymore  Smile

• 06-24-2011 6:31 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:

I have posted twice here in 2011. The way this thread has evolved shows me why.

Would you care to expand on this comment John (it is a little vague) - you are welcome to send me a PM if you prefer to keep your reasons out of the public domain.

However, if this is a reponse to my above comments (it does follow my post) then you must be made aware that although as moderators we may give up a higher degree of right to reply than any other member (be they bronze, silver or gold level) - the one thing we will NOT forsake is the right to defend ourselves or each other.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 06-24-2011 6:45 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Vienna:

Peter :

... as lee has said, it is not a case of being angry - it is more of disappointment that we have clearly not
    communicated the ethos of the site well enough to make this something that people are eager to do.

Peter and Lee,  I absolutely don't believe you failed to comunicate the ethos of the site,  but I strongly
    believe the Award has not been announced efficiently.

I must admit that I missed the vote too.

As mentioned in some posts - many users seem to go directly to "active topics"  or  "my discussions"
    without paying much attention to the "General Forum".

Hindsight is easier than foresight - maybe the text and colour of the banner "Are you sure we have
    your correct E-mail Adress? ..." could temporarily be changed to make important annoncements
    - it's part of every single thread - no excuses anymore  Smile

This sort of vindicates my comments on how internet fora work - everyone has their own way of using them, whether it be how they save the site as their "home page" etc.......

Posting the vote in the General Forum Is simply the best way of ensuring that most people have a chance of seeing it easily - by a distance -the most popular & frequently visited of all the sections on Beoworld.

Chris.

• 06-24-2011 7:06 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

I am sorry Lee, I knew about this thread and completly forgot to vote! I honestly thought there would have been many people voting and am absolutely shocked by the lack of response!

I think the email system might have put people off a little, if you could have a little box to enter a user name that would have gained more results maybe...? Also a countdown timer would have added a little urgency, but maybe I am getting a little silly lol!

Olly.

• 06-24-2011 7:29 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Step1:

I think the email system might have put people off a little, if you could have a little box to enter a user name that would have gained more results maybe...? Also a countdown timer would have added a little urgency, but maybe I am getting a little silly lol!

AAARGHH sensible people & suggestions have no place here Olly.... Big Smile

PS -you have a PM.

Chris.

• 06-25-2011 2:10 AM In reply to

I could take the time to construct a well composed argument right now, but instead I will just agree to disagree. 

"Shame on me" for expressing my honest opinion indeed. I feel very ashamed of myself I have to say. Erm

• 06-25-2011 2:28 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Llewelyn,

You are allowed to feel like that.
    And we are allowed to note that the awards and the appreciation of being helped means very little to you.

Martin

• 06-25-2011 3:08 AM In reply to

Hi Martin

I think everyone has missed my point here - The hard work of all the members does go appreciated I am very sure (speaking from the point of view of myself). I am not on here as much as some but I help out as much as I can, offering my advice as an ex-B&O service/installation and salesperson, and often passing on old equipment/spares etc away free of charge most of the time for people looking for help. This is my way of showing what I would call reciprocated appreciation. 

Now I was merely pointing out that people, for whatever reason, obviously didn't want to vote - I really didn't mean to cause any kind of controversy, or offence. Lee's comments re the Struer trip (of which my name has most probably been struck from now), were stating the obvious and in my opinion were not altogether necessary although I can understand your frustration Lee because I know how dedicated you are to this site. 

I am not sorry for my post but I am sorry that it had inadvertantly refelcted negatively against me. I didn't mean to cause any offence!

• 06-25-2011 3:20 AM In reply to

As said before, I don't think this thread is advancing this site in the slightest any more. I would hate it to result in bad feeling between members and the moderating team so would suggest that we allow it to die. Go read my blog on Struer instead and dream of what might be. Only done the journey so far!

• 06-25-2011 3:33 AM In reply to

Peter :

As said before, I don't think this thread is advancing this site in the slightest any more. I would hate it to result in bad feeling between members and the moderating team so would suggest that we allow it to die. Go read my blog on Struer instead and dream of what might be. Only done the journey so far!

Very well said PeterYes -  thumbs up I wanted to mingle (again) in this discussion but unfortenately my English is not that good and as you might know, some words can be mistaken. Lee, we all got the "message" (hope this is not one of the words?) and maybe you could try a new start?

B&O item 1, B&O item 2, B&O item 3,...................B&O item 735

Beovirus? What's that?

• 06-25-2011 4:25 AM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

Well, I didn't vote because I fleetingly saw the thread and had no time to vote. Checked in a week later (no play time at present) and no thread reminded me when I clicked on 'View unread...."

I would have voted. Yes there are some fun awards (Jaff, you'll have to be entertaining for another whole year) but I would have certainly liked to see individuals who have selflessly helped others by knowledge or giveaways be acknowledged.  To me it's the core of the forum.

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 06-26-2011 1:05 AM In reply to

9 LEE:

That's all i have to say.  I'm not hopping mad, cursing everyone..  I'll just have to learn to care a bit less.  Sad

Lee,

Whilst I can understand fully how disappointed you must feel at such a poor response, I think it would be tragic if this results in you becoming less caring, particularly as my personal experiences with Beoworlders has been to actually change my behaviour and to become less selfish and hopefully more caring.  

The generosity of Peter, who I had never met, was little short of astonishing.  He gave me a Beomaster 4400 only a few months after I had joined.  This act went a long way to restoring some of my faith in the world and hopefully his example has rubbed off on me a little. 

Like so many others on the site, I put off voting, and then forgot completely.  For this I am truly sorry, and if my act of failure has contributed in some way to a change in how you feel about the members, then so be it.  I just think that would be very sad.

Cleve

• 06-26-2011 1:15 PM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

Jandyt:

Oh dear!   I am so sorry too. I have been so wrapped up in my new and very happy relationship, I very seldom visit Beoworld.

I had planned on emailing on my return from Durham, but completely forgot. EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed Sorry Lee.

Andy, 

"I have been so wrapped up in my new and very happy relationship" - that's great news!! After all your contributions over the years I don't think you should beat yourself up at all  - you know what they say - a change is as good as a rest! A bit less time spent on Beoworld will do you no harm at all (and I mean that in the nicest possible way).

The fact is I don't think any of us should beat ourselves up. We can all say "oh, sorry I forgot"  but if we forget to do things it ususally means those things are not important to us. I personally think the Awards are a bit naff - like so many award programmes on TV.

This site (by and large) is exemplary in the way that fellow members help each other out. The moderators spend an inordinate amount of time continually contributing and continually improving the site.  The thing is, we're all (well, most of us) very polite to one another and always either privately or publically thank each other either for personallly helping each other out or for contributions (in time and effort) to the site.  The comments made in this thread   http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/39224.aspx?PageIndex=3  illustrate what I'm trying to say. These sorts of comments aren't rare. I know it's a peronal point of view, but when I get a comment like that at work it means sooooooo much more to me than winning an award....bit like Lee's computer fixer...

I'll float an idea.... I've often thought that the moderators and high-level contributors could have a rogues gallary section with a decent photo(s), a small section on their background and contributions to the site, and a section for members to add comments and thank the individuals for their contributions, a kind of on-going award process....   

DO NOT loose heart Lee - There's so much that's great about this site, it would be a real shame if you let this disapointment colour your opinion of us all!

Cheers

Nigel

• 06-26-2011 5:18 PM In reply to

Well said Nigel!

I neither want to vote or be voted upon. Probably why I did not take any notice of the original announcement of the awards, if indeed I saw it.

Regards Graham

• 06-27-2011 1:18 AM In reply to

Incorrectly, I did not prioritise voting... Embarrassed

Lee and the team of moderators do do an excellent job; and Lee I understand your frustation and now fully understand your passion for Beoworld..

I believe you have every right to be disappointed in the members. I don't think the awards are not 'naff' at all. I now realise that the awards are your way of saying something along the lines of:

"I love Beoworld! I spend every waking moment tinkering, playing, enjoying and consuming the site. It's a place I love to provide for fellow enthusiasts, who I'm sure are just as passionate and as excited about it as I am! And let's shout from the rooftops who these outstanding people are, because they make this place so darn enjoyable!" (or something along those lines, probably a little more succinctly)

Lee; I don't believe you will ever care any less than you do, you're just not that person. You'll just have to be patient waiting for all of us to care a little more.

Please accept my apologies...

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

Page 2 of 2 (42 items) < Previous 1 2