in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-26-2011 6:36 AM by tournedos. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-22-2011 2:02 PM

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

Beolab PowerLink/Line connection

In one of my secondary setups I have a modern audio master driving a pair of BL3. The BL3 are connected as follows:

Beosound PowerLink out -> existing 15m PL cable hidden in-wall and terminated with PL wall socket -> 5m PL cable visible -> BL3 PL in

I am now going to replace the modern Beosound with a vintage Beomaster and corresponding analogue sources, but I would like to keep the BL3. The vintage Beomaster has a variable Line out so in theory connecting to the BL3 Line in is simple. However, in order to use the PL cables that are already running into the walls, I guess that my only cabling option is somewhat more complex:

Beomaster line out -> RCA/PL adaptor -> existing 15m PL cable hidden in-wall -> PL/RCA adaptor plugged in PL wall socket-> 5m RCA cable visible -> BL3 Line in

My question is whether so many steps/adaptors/cables will deteriorate the signal?

Thanks, js

• 06-25-2011 12:06 PM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

Re: Beolab PowerLink/Line connection

No one, really?

Many thanks in advance, js

• 06-26-2011 2:37 AM In reply to

Hi. Get in touch with Steve at sounds heavenly his link is at the bottom of the page. He is a wizard when it comes to cables, hope that helps

Cheers Nick

• 06-26-2011 6:36 AM In reply to

Unfortunately the BL3 service manual doesn't have detailed schematics so I can't be 100% certain, but it is possible that in line mode, they will turn on with detected audio signal on the Powerlink input as well (some earlier Beolabs do). In that case, you could keep your existing Powerlink cables at the speaker end of the setup, and not need any adapters there.

Anyway, I don't think the extra adapters will deteriorate the sound quality, but cable shielding from interference may be a problem. If you need to use the adapters at the speaker ends as well, I think I would rather install them at the speakers, and use a Powerlink cable from the wall socket instead of RCA.

And definitely consult Steve as well, he might have better ideas.

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)