in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-02-2011 8:00 AM by Tomaz. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (24 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-20-2011 2:41 PM

loudspeakers

Can we expect some new Alt loudspeakers this year?

• 06-22-2011 4:16 PM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

Re: loudspeakers

Would be nice to see a beolab speaker with moving ALT lens. Some typical combination of mechanical and electronical b&o magic!

And what about the return of the status screen on the speakers; but now 2011 versions with album art etc?

Bieele

Ps: i will keep on dreaming...
    Heej zuij der alles veur gaeve En heej zaet ze mogen ut hebbe van meej
  • 06-22-2011 8:37 PM In reply to

What would you like to see in terms of a "moving ALT lens?"  Just curious  .  .  .  

Best regards,

Dave

Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
  • 06-22-2011 10:06 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

The idea that has been discussed in the past is along the lines of the lense appearing in some way - perhaps rising out of the speaker similar to what some of the ALT car speakers do when powered on, and disappearing when powered off.  Probably much easier said than done, but it's this kind of "magic" that we expect from B&O.

Stan

• 06-23-2011 5:07 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Dave Moulton:

What would you like to see in terms of a "moving ALT lens?"  Just curious  .  .  .  

Best regards,

Dave

I think, Bieele is talking about ALT tweeters used in Beo`s car stereo for the Audi A8. They are motor driven and come up, when you start the engine and drive down, when you stop it. I have these tweeters in my car - no Audi! - although the rest of the stereo is a Cabasse Audiosystem. I just replaced the Tweeters, and the result is amazing...

Stefan

• 06-23-2011 4:58 PM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

That 's right, I think it would be nice to see a speaker with a moving alt tweeter!
    Heej zuij der alles veur gaeve En heej zaet ze mogen ut hebbe van meej
  • 06-24-2011 8:19 AM In reply to

Are you working on a new alt speaker for B&O mr.moulton

• 06-26-2011 7:54 PM In reply to

haha silence is golden.....

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 06-27-2011 8:59 AM In reply to

no  no          sorry about not replying

actually, there is nothing in the works right now

our primary initiative is paying our bills (sound familiar?)

thanks for asking!

best,

Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
  • 06-27-2011 9:58 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

The WAF factor of a speaker which basically shrunk when not in use would be immense!

However, people with dirty minds could chuckle etc etc.

Back on track though - it's a great idea!

Lee 

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 06-27-2011 11:40 AM In reply to

Don't fancy the idea about a moving ALT speaker, but the status display - YES! Think how cool it would have looked on the Beolab5's. A small curved display on the top of the cones. Cool

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 06-27-2011 2:11 PM In reply to

• Tomaz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-07-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 74
    • Gold Member

bayerische:

Don't fancy the idea about a moving ALT speaker, but the status display - YES! Think how cool it would have looked on the Beolab5's. A small curved display on the top of the cones. Cool

CoolBayerische what a gorgeous idea with the status display , but so positioned you can a see it easily...maybe like that

BL5mk2

TT

• 06-29-2011 12:35 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Tomaz once again displays his genius.  I fear that it is wasted here though.  Once the wi-fi enabled Beo6 is available, this concept goes straight to the dust-bin.  What I would like to see is for Tomaz to re-work his original concept for the BeoLab 9 Pingvin speaker with a retractable ALT tweeter so that when not in use it folds or collapses into something sleek and smooth, visually quiet.  Imagine the drama of a BV-4-85 rising up on its floor-stand while the speakers present themselves!

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 06-29-2011 3:18 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Sorry to be a party pooper, but disregarding the techno-lust of a moving ALT-tweeter , what's the point? You'll not only have more moving parts that can break, and more expense, but when the lens is up, there'll be a an undampened void in the speakers.

I see the point in a car, where the speakers/units are separates, but I really don't see the point in a threeway speaker placed on the floor.

As for the status display, I like the (lack of colour) of Tomaz' design. But it's too big, and destroys the somewhat simple circular/cone design of the Beolab 5s.

However, that sort of display - white on black background - would be good on small nearfield monitors.  I wouldn't mind having a set of monitors, slightly bigger than the BL3s, with an ALT-lens, and a tiny display showing volume and/or source. Of course, I'd like it if it had both analogue and digital in with support for 24bit/192kHz  (coaxial, not optical).

• 06-29-2011 5:18 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Electrified:

..... the techno-lust of a moving ALT-tweeter , what's the point? You'll not only have more moving parts that can break, and more expense, but when the lens is up, there'll be a an undampened void in the speakers.

Exactly that`s the main point: techno-lust of a moving ALT speaker.....

But you can see it as a speaker protection in standby mode, "cleaner" appearance, especially in center speakers (BL7.4, BL10).

I could also think of inwall/ceiling speakers for surround and linkroom with moving ALT. Speakers that simply disappear in the wall/ceiling in standby mode.

Electrified:

As for the status display, I like the (lack of colour) of Tomaz' design. But it's too big, and destroys the somewhat simple circular/cone design of the Beolab 5s.

However, that sort of display - white on black background - would be good on small nearfield monitors.  I wouldn't mind having a set of monitors, slightly bigger than the BL3s, with an ALT-lens, and a tiny display showing volume and/or source. Of course, I'd like it if it had both analogue and digital in with support for 24bit/192kHz  (coaxial, not optical).

Agree. It`s like the BV7 display on a BL5...and I don`t like vertical displays.

I hope, we can have the status display on the Beo6 like on the BL5000, 7000.

Stefan

• 06-29-2011 6:56 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Maybe it's just me, then. I like my monitors/speakers to be as simple (i.e. non-mechanical) as possible.

How would a moving alt-lens be incorporated into a wall? I get the ceiling part, and that might actually work pretty well, but the walls?

I think I'm simply not getting it. I have techno lust as much as most people, and I'd love to have the Alt lenses in my car, but I really don't see the point of moving alt lenses in my home. In fact, I think I'd might consider it garish, or  even "chavish" if you wiill.

• 06-29-2011 7:10 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Electrified:

I think I'm simply not getting it. I have techno lust as much as most people, and I'd love to have the Alt lenses in my car, but I really don't see the point of moving alt lenses in my home. In fact, I think I'd might consider it garish, or  even "chavish" if you wiill.

Likewise. Moving ALT lenses would be extremely gimmicky.

A speaker is for making sound. Try and make it look nice in the process and give yourself different placement possibilities, but at the end of the day, it's purpose is to make sound.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-29-2011 7:33 AM In reply to

Well in that case most B&O products are gimmicky! Who needs doors on a BeoSound Ouverture?Surprise

I am also waiting for motorized ALT lenses on home BeoLabs, it would make the speaker less "bizarre" when turned off, give it 2 different looks, keep the tweeter safe from dust and kids that can't help touching them, not to mention the cockroaches or lizards (yes, I live on a tropical island).

Besides, it would give the same "opening" impression as the one found on products like Beocenter AV5 with the sliding speakers.

I would like to see a BeoLab with 2 ALT for treble + midrange , same size as BL3 but going down to 100 Hz only, as this is the max. response you need in a 5.1 setup with a subwoofer.You don't need 50 Hz and ABRs with BeoLab 2 or 11.Wink

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 06-29-2011 7:35 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

It could be argued that lots of B&O product's have movement that is either superfluous or gimmicky - however others will argue that these movements provide a "wow" factor - the lifting stand of the BV4 85/103 springs to mind as a good example. It's a personal opinion.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-29-2011 9:32 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:

It could be argued that lots of B&O product's have movement that is either superfluous or gimmicky - however others will argue that these movements provide a "wow" factor - the lifting stand of the BV4 85/103 springs to mind as a good example. It's a personal opinion.

No, it's not simply a matter of opinion.

The difference being that having a lifting stand on a telly or a moving front plate doesn't compromise the picture or audio. Having moving speakeri units does.

And now the opinion comes into the frame: I don't think the chavvy approach is a compromise I'd be willing to take, just to have the "wow" factor when I have guests - In car, yes, because it also means very few people will be able to tell from looking in through the window.

• 06-29-2011 10:40 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Electrified:

Puncher:

No, it's not simply a matter of opinion.

The difference being that having a lifting stand on a telly or a moving front plate doesn't compromise the picture or audio. Having moving speakeri units does.

And now the opinion comes into the frame: I don't think the chavvy approach is a compromise I'd be willing to take, just to have the "wow" factor when I have guests - In car, yes, because it also means very few people will be able to tell from looking in through the window.

I'm sure careful design could give something that would meet people's expectations, after all the speaker itself doesn't actually have to move, it just needs to be "revealed".

Having said that, I'm with you in that I'm not a fan of gimmicky stuff - the lifting BV4 stand I quoted is an example of unecessary movement IMO. The sliding doors less so, being, at least, somewhat practical.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-01-2011 10:32 AM In reply to

• Tomaz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-07-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 74
    • Gold Member

Russ:

Tomaz once again displays his genius.  I fear that it is wasted here though.  Once the wi-fi enabled Beo6 is available, this concept goes straight to the dust-bin.  What I would like to see is for Tomaz to re-work his original concept for the BeoLab 9 Pingvin speaker with a retractable ALT tweeter so that when not in use it folds or collapses into something sleek and smooth, visually quiet.  Imagine the drama of a BV-4-85 rising up on its floor-stand while the speakers present themselves!

Russ thanks I appreciate it ,but I'm far away from being a genius :) you see even to fill a dust-bin needs afford :) .. yes ,the penguin speaker made usage of the acoustic lens unit, we can say the ALT-unit was delibaretely placed on top giving the speaker an identity (face like)+ embedding the radial LED light ,I never thought about to collapse or rectract something, because the acoustic lens makes the speaker even more interesting. Maybe on a new small wall speaker it makes sense to retract the unit ,but here again the issue with the unused space and it doesnt serve any purpose ,just the WOW  and squeaking sound from the motor after 9 years of use :D Inspite of it all ,I have designed a cute wall speaker which only conceals the ALT in standby.

TT

• 07-02-2011 5:39 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Tomaz:
    we can say the ALT-unit was delibaretely placed on top giving the speaker an identity (face like)+ embedding the radial LED light

The actual reason for placing a tweeter at the top is that that is where it's closest to the ears. High frequencies are much more directional than lower frequencies and although it has an ALT lens, that lens tend to spread it sidewise, not up/down.

The seond reason for having it on top, is that a tweeter need less space around the back, whereas a low frequency driver needs lots more space. Placing the tweeter on the top* of floor speakers is basic engineering.

Edit: *on top of fairly reasonably high floor speakers, of course. Very high floor speakers, and you'd try place them lower, in order for them to be at, or near, ear height.

• 07-02-2011 8:00 AM In reply to

• Tomaz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-07-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 74
    • Gold Member

When I wrote deliberately ,actually meant that the penguin speaker was conceived well thought out "around" the acoustic lens design. Applied the small pyramid inside the acoustic lens to the whole loudspeaker design, from top to bottom,from micro to macro. It was not just put there like on the BL9. Beside this agree on everything what you have written above... Wink

TT

Page 1 of 1 (24 items)