in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-17-2011 6:20 AM by geoff martin. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-20-2011 8:59 AM

New to B&O: Rear Channel Speaker Advise Needed

Greetings Everyone

My wife and I have talked about getting a B&O system for years, and yesterday we finally pulled the trigger and purchased the following:

Beosystem 3

Beolab 9 (front channels)

Beolab 7.6 (center channel)

Now we need to decide on the rear channels.  Seems like the Beolab 3, 4 and 4000 are the primary contenders.  Our AV room is relatively small and there is no space behind the listening area for speakers.  Instead, the rear channel speakers will be placed on the side walls slightly above head level. My thinking is that the Beolab 3 might be preferable for this situation because it can be aimed so that some of the sound is directed to the back wall to improve surround imaging, but this is merely speculation on my part.

Any opinions?  

Cheers,

TMQ

• 06-20-2011 11:41 AM In reply to

Re: New to B&O: Rear Channel Speaker Advise Needed

Beolab 3s are great speakers but I must confess that I think they are seriously under utilised as rear speakers. I would be very tempted to put Beolab 4000s at the rear - the advantage of the ALT lens in the Beolab 3 may actually be a disadvantage in the setting you have as the treble will lack vertical dispersion. The point source of the 4000 will allow possibly better radiation if the speakers are above head level.

I am sure your dealer would be happy to let you try both and decide on which is better.

• 06-20-2011 12:00 PM In reply to

I have 7-2 as center, 9 as front and 4000 as rear, like you, my rear are placed on the side walls (2 meters above floor) with the speaker pointing a little down. 

I think they sound very good, I personally like the sound of the 4000's very much.

There is something about B&O.....

• 06-20-2011 12:04 PM In reply to

Just found a picture of the 4000 as rear speakers in my setup. I still need to get the red cover for them :-)

• 06-20-2011 12:24 PM In reply to

MightyQuinn:

Greetings Everyone

My wife and I have talked about getting a B&O system for years, and yesterday we finally pulled the trigger and purchased the following:

Beosystem 3

Beolab 9 (front channels)

Beolab 7.6 (center channel)

Now we need to decide on the rear channels.  Seems like the Beolab 3, 4 and 4000 are the primary contenders.  Our AV room is relatively small and there is no space behind the listening area for speakers.  Instead, the rear channel speakers will be placed on the side walls slightly above head level. My thinking is that the Beolab 3 might be preferable for this situation because it can be aimed so that some of the sound is directed to the back wall to improve surround imaging, but this is merely speculation on my part.

Any opinions?  

Cheers,

TMQ

Hi,

It's pretty normal to see a BL9 / BL3 combo in the listening rooms here in Struer (with various Centre Channel options). This works fine for movies where the surround information is usually fairly uncorrelated with the front channels.

However, if you're doing multichannel music, then you'll need to match your BL9's with more BL9's in the rear... Unfortunately, you'll have to build your own wallbracket for that configuration, though... ;-)

One word of caution: in order to ensure that your configuration is behaving, make sure that you start with correct Speaker Distances and Speaker Levels on the BS3. For day-to-day use, I have a cheap SPL meter that I bought online for this, but the nearly-free app on my phone works almost as well. Use that as a starting point, but don't treat it as religion - if you prefer more (or less) from your surround channels, add spices to taste!

Cheers

-geoff

• 06-20-2011 4:58 PM In reply to

geoff martin:

One word of caution: in order to ensure that your configuration is behaving, make sure that you start with correct Speaker Distances and Speaker Levels on the BS3. For day-to-day use, I have a cheap SPL meter that I bought online for this, but the nearly-free app on my phone works almost as well. Use that as a starting point, but don't treat it as religion - if you prefer more (or less) from your surround channels, add spices to taste!

Cheers

-geoff

Geoff. could you please be more detailed on how to use the SPL meter app. I mean distance from speaker that someone should measure and what could be expected to be measured and be considered as ideal. Thanks in advance

-Dimitris

• 06-20-2011 5:29 PM In reply to

Wow, thanks for all of the great advise.  I will ask my dealer if they will let me compare the Beolab 4000 with the Beolab 3 in my setup.

If you don't mind I would like to ask a follow up questions with regards to the 7.6 center speaker.  My dealer really could not give me any pros and cons of the 7.6 versus the 7.2.  Both are the same price and I have room for both.  Any reason not to go with the 7.6?

Cheers, and thanks again!  I get the feeling I am going to spending a lot of time reading posts in this forum.

TMQ

• 06-21-2011 11:15 AM In reply to

DrDimitris:

Geoff. could you please be more detailed on how to use the SPL meter app. I mean distance from speaker that someone should measure and what could be expected to be measured and be considered as ideal. Thanks in advance

Hi Dimitris,

Give me a couple of days and I'll write up a decent explanation of this - I assume you're specifically thinking of a BeoSystem 3 with a multichannel loudspeaker configuration... Correct?

Cheers

-geoff

• 06-21-2011 11:44 AM In reply to

geoff martin:

DrDimitris:

Hi Dimitris,

Give me a couple of days and I'll write up a decent explanation of this - I assume you're specifically thinking of a BeoSystem 3 with a multichannel loudspeaker configuration... Correct?

Cheers

-geoff

Hi Geoff

Looking forward for your explanation, I actually just downloaded an SPL App for my Android, but would also like to know how to do it correct Wink

Thanks.

• 06-21-2011 12:00 PM In reply to

geoff martin:

DrDimitris:

Hi Dimitris,

Cheers

-geoff

Yes....and no. Smile.  I have a BV7-32, with surround module (not BS3 based). I have set the distances and levels on the speaker menu, but i want to check it also with my phone SPL meter to see if i am correct on my sweet spot. My setup is BL7.1 as center, BL2, BL8000's fronts and BL4000's rears which have been also specified on my Beovision's speaker configuration. Thank you again.

-Dimitris

• 06-21-2011 12:21 PM In reply to

MightyQuinn:

If you don't mind I would like to ask a follow up questions with regards to the 7.6 center speaker.  My dealer really could not give me any pros and cons of the 7.6 versus the 7.2.  Both are the same price and I have room for both.  Any reason not to go with the 7.6?

The only noticable difference I could hear from the 7-6 compared to 7-2 was the stereo part, since the speaker is wider. It is easier to notice the stereo.
    I have the 7-2 to my 7-55 (I re-used them from my old 7-40), and I do like that the speaker is smaller than the TV. I think that the 7-6 is too big for our living room as we also have the BL9's as front speakers also.

• 06-21-2011 12:57 PM In reply to

beolion:

The only noticable difference I could hear from the 7-6 compared to 7-2 was the stereo part, since the speaker is wider. It is easier to notice the stereo.
    I have the 7-2 to my 7-55 (I re-used them from my old 7-40), and I do like that the speaker is smaller than the TV. I think that the 7-6 is too big for our living room as we also have the BL9's as front speakers also.

Thanks beolion.  My intention would be to only use the center and rear channels for watching movies.  For listening to music, I think that I will only be using the BL9s.  I only say this because this will be the first surround system I have owned, and I am used to listening to music on two-channel stereo.

Do you guys listen to music in surround, or just two-channel stereo?

• 06-21-2011 2:13 PM In reply to

MightyQuinn:

Thanks beolion.  My intention would be to only use the center and rear channels for watching movies.  For listening to music, I think that I will only be using the BL9s.  I only say this because this will be the first surround system I have owned, and I am used to listening to music on two-channel stereo.

Do you guys listen to music in surround, or just two-channel stereo?

I do also have a BL2, and for music I only use the BL9's (including the BL2). I just watched U2 360 Blueray concert in surround, that was very "involving", sometimes I use 2x Stereo (speaker 4), but as Geoff say, this would work best with similar front and rear speakers.

My dealer has placed a request at B&O so that it should be possible to disable the sub in speaker 2 setup, the sub is disabled in speaker 1. I prefer to listen to music from the BL9 without BL2. We have not got any feedback from B&O if they will implement this feature. 

• 06-23-2011 11:15 AM In reply to

• quader
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-03-2007
    • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Posts 89
    • Gold Member

I have BL 8000 as rears in my TV setup and 4000 in my projecter setup both i am happy with as sound is really good, when it comes to music i tend to use speaker 4 mode .

I have a separate centre speaker to the 7.4 for the projector setup as advised by the B&O dealer but find myself using the speaker 4 setup for this aswell.

I would be interested to hear from Geoff on this topic

• 06-23-2011 11:55 AM In reply to

There is no real difference between the BL 7-2 and 7-6, other than size.  The 7-6 is huge and will look funny on a TV smaller than 60" I would think. 

As far as the sound metering, it is sad that B&O's BS3 doesn't have something like Audessey to help set the speaker levels and distance/etc automatically.

• 06-23-2011 5:09 PM In reply to

hi there,

was in the same doubt as you.

My initial setup: Beolab 5 front, Beolab 7.1 center and Beolab 4000 as surround.

New configuration: Beolab 5 front, Beolab 7.4 center and Beolab 3 as surround.

There is a  huge( and i mean huge) difference between the 2 config.  New setup is more detailed, center speaker makes a huge improvement in speech compared with 7.1 and the BL3 surround, well, also makes a huge diference!!!

all sold!

• 06-23-2011 8:51 PM In reply to

macjonny1:

As far as the sound metering, it is sad that B&O's BS3 doesn't have something like Audessey to help set the speaker levels and distance/etc automatically.

Sorry for being a neophyte, but can you explain what Audessey is?

With respect to the BS3, I was under the impression (perhaps mistakenly) that this was the top of the B&O line of...well...I don't actually know what to call it.  It's not a receiver and it's not an integrated amp.  What bucket do you put the BS3 unit into?

Uggh...I feel like such an old fart, I don't even know what to call the piece of equipment that I just dumped a whole lot of $$$ into.  The B&O website calls it a "stage manager".  What do you folks call it?

Did I mention that this B&O system is the first set of audio equipment that I have purchased since I bought a used Rotel pre-amp, Adcom amp and Paradigm MK3 speakers 15 years ago in grad school? (I am still using those pieces in my main setup actually).

• 06-23-2011 8:58 PM In reply to

11048437:

hi there,

was in the same doubt as you.

My initial setup: Beolab 5 front, Beolab 7.1 center and Beolab 4000 as surround.

New configuration: Beolab 5 front, Beolab 7.4 center and Beolab 3 as surround.

There is a  huge( and i mean huge) difference between the 2 config.  New setup is more detailed, center speaker makes a huge improvement in speech compared with 7.1 and the BL3 surround, well, also makes a huge diference!!!

When you changed your system, did you perform the "control experiment", and determine which of the new components made such a big difference?  I am curious because I currently have the option of choosing the Beolab 4000s versus the Beolab 3s in my system, and I really appreciate your experience.

So I should mention that I have ordered the Beolab 4000s, based in part from what I have read on this forum (in this thread and in others), and in part from the advise from my local dealer.  Of course, I am sure that my dealer would be perfectly happy to change the order and put in a set of Beolab 3s instead.

• 06-23-2011 9:11 PM In reply to

geoff martin:

It's pretty normal to see a BL9 / BL3 combo in the listening rooms here in Struer (with various Centre Channel options). This works fine for movies where the surround information is usually fairly uncorrelated with the front channels.

However, if you're doing multichannel music, then you'll need to match your BL9's with more BL9's in the rear... Unfortunately, you'll have to build your own wallbracket for that configuration, though... ;-)

Cheers

-geoff

Hi Geoff

Thanks for the input.  While I wish that I had the floorspace (not to mention the pocketbook) for two pairs of BL9s, that is not currently an option.

I am hoping that the B&O team that will be installing the system will be teaching me how they balance the speaker output.  I will definitely mention the SPL meter during the setup process.

Cheers,

TMQ

• 09-19-2011 2:20 PM In reply to

did I miss the explanation in an other thread? Would be great to optimize the sound settings...

• 09-20-2011 2:21 AM In reply to

Oops.... Sorry.... Summer vacation has a way of erasing my memory (guess that's what it's for...). Thanks for the poke... I'll put it on my list of things-to-do-this-week...

More info soon!

cheers

-geoff

• 09-28-2011 7:24 AM In reply to

Please don't give up on me... I'm still working on it...

My apologies once again for the delay! It's turning out to be a more difficult issue to resolve than I had anticipated... My problem is that I'm on the wrong end of the development process. I'm working with the next-generation systems, not the current- or past-generation ones... So, to be honest, I have to rely on my colleagues to help find out how our current and older gear works... 

The main speakers are easy to calibrate. Make them all the same level using your spl meter at the listening position using adjustment with SPEAKER LEVEL in your menus. I normally use A weighting if the speakers are different (i.e. BL3's and BL9's) to reduce the influence of low-frequency differences in the speakers. This also helps to reduce the influence of background noise in your measurements. It's also good practice to point the microphone straight up so that you aren't favouring one (or more) speakers with a directional behaviour of the mic. This is what I do in the listening room when I'm working...

However, when I'm "relaxing" (i.e. setting up a system to watch a movie instead of to tune the system or to listen to multichannel music) I typically drop the level of the surrounds about 2-3 dB and the L and R front speakers by 1-2 dB. This is entirely a personal preference issue, and has nothing to do with the "correct" way to do things. It's also not unusual to me to delay the front L and R speakers by 1-2 milliseconds and the surrounds and backs by something like 5-10 milliseconds. I also, in restaurants, typically order steak medium-rare, I add ground pepper to fettuccini alfredo, I rarely add salt to anything, and I like extra wasabi with my sushi...  All of this paragraph should be read as a personal preference - not a recommendation... 

The problem with the real answer to your question is the subwoofer calibration... To be perfectly honest, I am having a hard time finding out precisely how you should go about this without using an external calibration DVD... My last resort is to actually set up a system in my listening room and do it myself - but I'm calling in some help from from dealer/installer contacts today to ask if they can help out in obtainin this info.

So, worst-case, I'll have an answer next Thursday (that's when I've booked my calendar for measurements...) Best case: I'll have a decent answer before that. 

Cheers

-geoff

• 10-17-2011 6:20 AM In reply to

Hi.

Okay - I'm back. It took a LOT of digging and even a little reverse-engineering, but I'm back...  I have good news and bad news:

The bad news first... If you have a DSM-based BeoVision 7, there is no quick-and-easy way to ensure that your speaker levels are calibrated correctly using an SPL meter. The only way to do it is to use an external noise source (like a DVD with signals for speaker calibration on it) and to wiggle your way through the menus. You can calibrate your main speakers easily using the method I described above. The problem is calibrating the subwoofer to match...

The good news? If your system is comprised entirely of BeoLab loudspeakers, the, in a worst-case, you're within a couple of dB of being calibrated anyway. For example, if you live in an anechoic  chamber, and you have, say, BeoLab 6000's and a BeoLab 2, then you don't need to do anything. Their input-to-output sensitivity have been matched to ensure that they're calibrated relative to each other.

I've searched for a calibration DVD to suggest, but most of the ones I've found are either unreliable, or overpriced due to the fact that they're really for calibrating the video , and audio is just along for the ride.

If anyone out there is using a calibration DVD and has had good success with it, I'd be curious to know about it. In the meantime, I'm looking into what it would take to create calibration tones that could be made available online for people who want to burn their own DVD's for system setup and calibration... This won't happen soon though, unfortunately....

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you were probably hoping for...

Cheers

-geoff

Page 1 of 1 (23 items)