in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-16-2011 12:55 PM by lausvi. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-15-2011 4:14 PM

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Beogram 7000 - flywheel scraping noise / loose main shaft

I bought a Beogram 7000 from eBay (to finish my 7000 system - now complete!!). It arrived in original box and neatly packed, platter separately packed etc.

Unfortunately there is a problem. Right from the moment I put the platter on, it felt like wobbling. The main shaft (marked in the picture attached) seems to be loose. By hand I can turn it about a revolution or two, but it doesn't seem to be fastening and just keeps loose. I couldn't see how it's supposed to stay fastened. I stabilised it by a blob of superglue, but at first it didn't end up exactly straight: when the arm assembly moved towards the end of the record the flywheel touched very lightly the cogwheel-that-moves-the-drive-wire causing scraping noise. I straightened the shaft and re-glued it and now the deck seems to be working.

Any thoughts on this or ideas how to fix it more permanently?

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 06-15-2011 5:09 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beogram 7000 - flywheel scraping noise / loose main shaft

A tough one, really, since the main bearing is a press-fit into the thick subchassis metal plate.
    I've had a couple of these faults on the bench myself and I've managed to fix the bearing using 2-comp. epoxy
    (Araldite) glue of the good old slow-setting type. Squeeze as much as you can in below the brass flange,
    add a flat bead around it, make sure it's perfectly aligned (fit the platter, check for parallelism against the
    subchassis main plate) and allow the glue to set.
    Unfortunately, this is a weak point in these decks and I think, we will see lots more with this fault.

Martin

• 06-15-2011 7:56 PM In reply to

Dillen:
    (fit the platter, check for parallelism against the
    alu surfaces) and allow the glue to set.

I may be wrong, but the alu surface is not part of the swinging chassis, isn't it better to check against the "bottom" surface of the swinging chassis, if the chassis is wrong adjusted the flange will be even so ??

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 06-16-2011 1:06 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Thanks, Søren.
    Yes, that's correct (and actually also what I meant to write).
    I have edited my post.

Martin

• 06-16-2011 10:21 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Thanks, Martin.

Even superglue seems to hold the bearing in place pretty well, I took the platter and flywheel on and off several times and it held. It was highly frustrating fault-finding as I had no idea where the scraping was coming (around the flywheel) and it wasn't easy to locate the source of noise when the platter was off. First I thought the suspension was set incorrectly on some of the three points, and I used more than an hour to tweak it up and down!

I will take the deck apart again and put some epoxy glue there to make sure it will hold.

• 06-16-2011 12:55 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

I secured the joint with as much epox as I could fit. I assembled the decks and cleaned it up and now it looks very good and plays nicely. The platter is not exactly clean but goes.

For some reason the Beogram seems to need much more volume than other sources. I need to raise the volume to around 30 for a listening volume whereas other sources do nicely with about 10-16. Is this normal? Using my MacBook as source thru AUX I also need to raise the volume to 30. It looks like the RCA/DIN -level difference.

Now to the next problem; where to put this BG, there is no space for it... Embarrassed

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)