in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-23-2011 6:23 AM by Dillen. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-13-2011 10:34 PM

• Paul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2011
    • New York City
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

master control 5500 with no volume control

hi.  I own a mint condition master control 5500 but the volume is shot and it nees a new main board.  Anyone have one or know someone who does? 

• 06-14-2011 7:55 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: master control 5500 with no volume control

More likely it needs a new opto sensor or a cleaning of the switch.
    Does the MCP light up when you rotate the volume wheel ?
    - If not, the switch is probably bad.
    - If it does, the switch is fine and the opto is bad (I can supply new optos)

Martin

• 06-14-2011 11:30 PM In reply to

• Paul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2011
    • New York City
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

Hi Martin:  the unit was sent to Atlantic Systems (b and o servicing center).  they are the one's who diagnosed it as completely useless without a new main board.  If it werent b and o, I wouldnt believe them but what am I to do.  The repair person is named Paul and no, the light does not illuminate.  What's the cost of the opto?  I can call the repair guy and ask if he'll give it a try.

thanks,

paul

• 06-15-2011 1:05 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

I'm sure Atlantic Systems have diagnosed correctly.
    I've only heard good things about their services.

Martin

• 06-16-2011 6:54 PM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

If you bought it off of Craigslist from a guy in Brooklyn, he knew in advance that the volume control didn't work.  So hopefully he was upfront and told you in advance.

• 06-17-2011 1:28 AM In reply to

• Paul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2011
    • New York City
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

yeah.  I know who you are talking about.  Fortunately, he was much too difficult to deal with so I avoided that sale.  And no, he was not upfront about anything.  In fact, he wanted to meet me in the street to conduct business like it fell of a truck..

• 06-17-2011 5:53 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Paul I would definately look at the points Martin suggested, as to say the board is duff is not much of a diagnosis in my opinion! He should at least have said processor, or some other supporting device!

My recent MCP5500 showed similar symptoms and it turned out that some battery acid had found its way onto the main board and damaged a track. The damage was actually not visible only that the laquer had been removed over a large area!

Anyway check as Martin says try manually shorting the switch to see if it comes to life...

Olly.

• 06-17-2011 7:07 PM In reply to

• Paul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2011
    • New York City
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

Hi Martin:  yes, I could use a new opto (the tech said it definetaly needs one of those), but he also said the main display is coming on randomly, even with new batteries, and he said it may be the 'micro' which he also doesnt have, or it could be something else - since he cant test it with a new micro.  maybe I should start with those two parts?  let me know what you think and i'll make arrangements. best

• 06-17-2011 7:10 PM In reply to

• Paul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2011
    • New York City
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

thanks I appreciate the input.  I did get that info to the tech and he did confirm what Martin said, but since he doesnt have an arsenal of part to play with, the other issues can't be diagnosed.  It's a bit like a jigsaw.  Sometimes you dont know if the piece will make the picture complete unless you can actually put it in and if you're missing pieces, you're at a handycap.  I think that's a good analogy, but not sure....lol.

• 06-20-2011 4:31 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

I am not expert with this control, but I cannot see how he can come to this conclusion, especially considering the fact he could isolate the components he suspects are randomly switching the unit on quite easily. As far as I am aware the opto is not capable of triggering the micro from standby, only the micro switch associated with it.

Can you not send the board to someone like Martin who will be able to take a better look? or failing that find a good component-level tech who should not struggle to understand the remotes basic operations, especially if you explain what to expect when pressing 'x' etc...

Olly.

• 06-20-2011 9:03 PM In reply to

• Paul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2011
    • New York City
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

Olly:  I figured sending it to an authorized service center for b and o was the most prudent and cost effective solution.  I will certainly look into sending it abroad and ask Martin if he would be interested in taking a look.  The tech who has it now offered to send me it back, so there was no harm done.  But I can't dialogue with him, apart from send him anonymous feedback that others have suggested, and the bottom line is that he doesnt have parts to play with.  I've been looking for a shabby remote on ebay, but most of them have electrical issues.  Fortunately, I have a 1000, so I'm at least able to use my beomaster 5500... but it would be nice to program radio stations, change the loudness setting, and various other things the master control can do.  It's not an emergency fortunatly, but it looks like this poor unit will have to be shifted around a bit until someone can restore it.  It's a shame, because it is in completely MINT condition.  I'll try to facilitate a happy ending.  Thanks for the push

• 06-21-2011 3:22 AM In reply to

Paul:
    Fortunately, I have a 1000, so I'm at least able to use my beomaster 5500... but it would be nice to program radio stations, change the loudness setting, and various other things the master control can do.

You can actually program the stations with a Beolink 1000. For FM, it goes like this:

• press GOTO (display turns to "F")
    • dial the frequency (tenths as well, so e.g. 104 MHz needs to be 1+0+4+0) - it won't show on the display!
    • wait ~3 secs for the command to time out and the Beomaster actually tune
    • store to preset of your choice with STORE + <preset number> + STORE

Since you're in the US you might be interested in AM as well... can't test right now, but I think you need to press one of the arrow keys after GOTO (display turns to "A"). I believe each preset can be either AM or FM, they are not split in banks like in many radios.

If you have an older Beolink 1000 that has a RESET button, loudness on / off is SHIFT + RESET. If not, you can't change it unfortunately.

SOUND + STORE will store current volume/bass/treble/loudness settings as initial values after standby (or RESET).

Much easier with the MCP, but at least you should be better able to enjoy the setup with radio presets!

-mika

• 06-21-2011 9:12 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Apart from volume, are the other functions working on the MCP ?

Martin

• 06-21-2011 3:51 PM In reply to

• Paul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2011
    • New York City
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

this is wonderfull information and I now feel like I have a brand new amp with all these other stations available by using the beolink 1000.  I have additional information here for those who want to scan through the stations and tune them electronically using this remote.  If you press GOTO and then use either of the backward or forward arrows labled 'large' and 'mix', on either side of 'PLAY', you are able to manually tune through all the stations. 

The beolink 1000 reset button does control the loudness function after pressing SHIFT.  But I am not able to yet figure out how to get AM.  The arrows dont change FM to AM after pressing GOTO. 

many thanks!

• 06-21-2011 3:55 PM In reply to

• Paul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2011
    • New York City
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

they do seem to work, although I only tested it briefly before I sent it off to atlantic.  They can't fix it and offered to send it back to me.

• 06-22-2011 4:23 PM In reply to

• Paul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2011
    • New York City
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

Martin:  how much is a new opto?  b and o said if I send it to them, they'll put it in and see if it works.  Although, that might not be the end of the story and I may need other parts.

Paul

• 06-22-2011 4:25 PM In reply to

• Paul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2011
    • New York City
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

yes.  but the tech said the lights are flashing randomly on the unit.  I should buy the opto from you and have him try it. 

• 06-23-2011 6:23 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

They should be able to diagnose it properly.
    You have a PM regarding the opto (check your inbox in the top right corner of this page).

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)