in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-14-2011 5:25 PM by Rookie. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-13-2011 6:24 PM

Beolab 5 review ... close to my own impressions

Hi,

i'd like to share this:

http://beomanuals.com/manualer/Beolab/Beolab%205/Beolab_5-Review-version2.pdf

I think it is a very grown up review.

Best regards

BV 7-40 BR ... Beolab 5 front ... Beolab 8000 rear ... Beolab 2 Sub ... Apple TV ... Apple NAS ... Beosound Ouverture  ... Technisat HD8-S ... Sonos ZP 90

• 06-14-2011 3:24 PM In reply to

Re: Beolab 5 review ... close to my own impressions

I have owned mine for almost 4 years now, so have got used to them.  By that I mean I've got over the disappointment!  Not the speakers I might add...  they are scary even to this day.  I still keep checking the movement of the Subs when at high volume and high dynamics just to reassure myself that they're not about to be ripped from their mountings.  Took me a whle to reaise the dual purpose of the metal feet shape as they are to not only hold up the speaker to let out the sound but to act as a final last protection shoud all else fail, to hold the cones (edges) though I've never yet been able to thrash them to the point where the roll edges actually hit the metalwork.  Anyway, the disappointent I'm talking about is the horrible discovery that BL5 is so good, so natural and so faithful in repoduction that you start to notice how many recordings have been mixed so badly  (by humans who either have had poor hearing - bad studio monitors or both).  So you start to forget how good the speakers are and start judging the quality of the master recording - equipment itself.   This is why B&O  (and Bose for that matter) go to the trouhble of releasing 'demo' CDs   If you listen to the "This is Different" demo by KIPPER, given away by B&O you will get my point.  There are tracks on that which can ONLY be fully heard (bass below 30Hz) that you just can't hear on anything else, not Pents or even Beolab2.   Of all my recordings (500 CDs) I'd say only about 50 (10%) at best really do justce to owning BL5s   My best recommendation for an off the shelf test CD is "Songs about Jane" by Maroon 5     If you own BL5s then you must have this CD, even if it's not your type of thing, it's worth owning just to really show you (and your visitors) why you paid all that money.   I don't like any audiofile reviews sorry, they're all the same, whatever product it is they're gesticulating about.   If after reading this you still want to go out and buy BL5 then please do, but be prepared to be disappointed (at first) by some of what you thought were your greatest souning recordings but equaly, be excited to discover new ones.  The ones you play most often will no doubt be the ones that have been really well recorded and mastered.  You will just know when you hear them and won't need to be told by anyone, including me.

Jack

BV10(40) BV8-32, BV3-32, MX7000, DVD1, HDR1, V8000

Beomedia-1, BS9000, BC7002, BC2300, BS5500, BM6500, BGCD6500, BM1900-2

BL5, BL8000, BL6000, BL Penta3, BL3500

Beovox MC120.2, 3000 Panels, CX50s, C75s, AND LOTS WIRES, BOOkS, MAGS n BITS (ebay sales: beo-store-uk)

• 06-14-2011 5:25 PM In reply to

Re: Beolab 5 review ... close to my own impressions

Hmm,

i have to say, that i find the BL5 quite forgiving with bad recordings, compared to "other" high-end gear ... i guess it is due to the DSP processing inside the BL5 ... it might fix some of it.

You might want to check www.hdtracks.com for high-resolution material.

Best regards

BV 7-40 BR ... Beolab 5 front ... Beolab 8000 rear ... Beolab 2 Sub ... Apple TV ... Apple NAS ... Beosound Ouverture  ... Technisat HD8-S ... Sonos ZP 90

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)