in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-12-2011 5:39 AM by tournedos. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-12-2011 3:58 AM

Beogram 3300 clunking when cueing up to play.

Hi

New member, first post and i need help with a Beogram 3300. It is a recent purchase - first B&O equipment I've owned. I've a fairly extensive knowledge of turntables - Linns, Michells, Garrards, Lencos, Thorens but for the most part they are simple mechanical beasts. This baby is very different - beyong my simple ken! The problem at first was a clunking sound once every rotation of a disc (only with  haevy 180g discs - 140g discs fine!) as the arm got near the centre. I had a look under the platter and changed the belt while I was at it - now it clunks when you press play and is fine during playback.

Is there a set up procedure? Would just like to say that despite being a cheap purchase (£80) it is an amazing little table. I have a mint MCC 1 stylus fitted and is sounds far better than I expected. Bonus my 5 year old son can jump around on our sprung floor and  not a single skip or mistrack. Even my Linn or Michell Orbe couldn't pull that trick. Very pleased but would love to solve the noise issue. Who would I contact for a service? 

Regards    

• 06-12-2011 4:40 AM In reply to

Re: Beogram 3300 clunking when cueing up to play.

This clunking is due to the weight of the carriage with the arm, it affects the turntables suspension. You should adjust the suspension of the turntable, probably upwards, a little stiffer. Play with it a little, you will see what I mean!

• 06-12-2011 4:48 AM In reply to

Hi

Thanks for the advice. Would that involve adjusting the screws on what look like small leaf springs and if so how do I get access to the rear one? I have no experience of these tables so I'm not sure how to adjust parameters and I don't wish to do damage. Any help would be very gratefully received.

• 06-12-2011 5:39 AM In reply to

Yes, those three leaf springs keep the chassis suspended. They will sag a bit with time and you need may need to tighten them to lift the chassis to the proper height.

To get access to the rear spring, remove the non-moving rear part of the lid (not the lid itself!). Two screws near the top corners when looking at the rear panel of the deck.

Don't lift the chassis too much, or it will start scraping on the top. The top surface of the platter should be 2.5-3 millimeters higher than the surface of the deck, with no record on and the arm carriage pushed to the middle (careful with it!).

Each spring has two screws, you need to figure out which one is for height adjustment and leave the other one alone. By loosening the other one, you can turn the springs around so that the platter is exactly in the middle of the opening horizontally.

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)