in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-10-2011 7:52 AM by Jeanrick. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-07-2011 4:35 AM

Crossover for Beovox 5700 speakers

I want to overhaul the X-Overs of my Beovox 5700 spreakers by upgrading the components with new ones and possibly amend values to compensate for a new speaker driver. I have replaced the woofer with a 140W Seas unit (35 - 1000Hz), as the originals were falling apart and I could not find a replacement unit anywhere, but I need to find out if I would require amendments to the X-over as well.

Is there anybody that is prepared to let me have a schematic of the components and values used in this speaker to enable me to purchase new components where required please?

Also, what is the specification of the small tweeter at the top, as I may want to replace that as well?

• 06-07-2011 10:42 AM In reply to

Re: Crossover for Beovox 5700 speakers

The crossover frequencies are 600/6000 Hz, there is a manual onsite for silver and gold members, but no specs for the drivers.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 06-07-2011 10:50 AM In reply to

If your woofers only has surround damages they can be repaired, search the forums, anyway keep the units someone can use them.

And welcome to the magic Beoworld

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 06-07-2011 12:46 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

What's wrong with the original woofers ?

Generally it's very difficult, if not impossible, to find modern drivers with matching specs.
    Furthermore, it will have to work together with the passive radiator in that fairly small cabinet, making
    it even more difficult to match.

The original woofer is either a Philips AD10100/W8 or a Norelco (sub-Philips) AD1056W8 and, actually,
    people are seeking out these vintage woofers for their DIY projects, precisely because of their excellent specs.

The Beovox 5700 woofers have rubber surrounds that rarely deteriorates (it does happen!) but the
    center dustcaps are known to fall apart, both issues are repairable.

Here you can find some T/S specs, thought they are measured rather than factory provided:
    http://forum.mfbfreaks.nl/archive/o_t__t_1702__oude-10100w8-woofers-gekregen.html
    (near the bottom of the page)

The tweeter, if I remember correctly, is a Rola-Celestion specifically made for the Beovox 5700 and later 5702.
    If you ask around in vintage sound circles, you will find that it hardly gets any better than that.

If B&O could have made changes to any spec, to make this top-of-the-range speaker
    sound any better, they would have.
    Besides, and don't get me wrong, but with all the modifications in an attempt to modernize a wonderful
    vintage speaker, why don't you build your own ?

Martin

• 06-08-2011 2:44 AM In reply to

Many thanks for the responses. I do have the original manuals that came with the speakers, but they provide no specifications of the crossover circuit. The main reason that I require the design specifications is that I want to replace some of the components with new ones, as I see some heat damage on some. I had the original Philips woofers repaired, but they only lasted a year before the glue gave way. For that reason I decided to rather buy new speakers. Are you saying that the Seas Excel E0026 woofers that I bought will not work?
    These have a range of 20Hz - 1,000Hz and were the closest match that I could find.

I did consider building my own speakers, but from the designs that I have seen, they will be too big, as they were all vented box designs and I would prefer the hight not to be above 1000 mm. I have already ordered the woofers and if they do not sound good enough, I might still build my own speakers, but then cost will become a factor. If I do decide to build my own speakers with vented box design, can I use the existing two tweeters in each Beovox speaker in the new cabinets?

• 06-08-2011 3:17 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

I am quite surprised that the woofers have deteriorated to such an extent. The dust caps on my 5700 did perish. I purchased new ones from Martin and had them on within 5 min and they were good as new. The rubber sorrounds are very hardy. Definitely worth keeping the speaker original. Once you replace the woofers you then have speakers you might enjoy but will be worthless. The 5700 speakers are fairly difficult to find as well.

Durban South Africa

• 06-09-2011 2:58 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The SEAS drivers are probably some of the best you can buy for any DIY project but check the T/S values;
    They require a cabinet volume (Vas) of 162 litres where the original Philips will do with only 66 (!)
    Qms; SEAS 2.34 & Philips 1.28  = far off.
    I wouldn't buy them for this project.
    Besides, at the kind of money you would be spending on the new
    SEAS drivers (was that apprx 600 UK pounds?) plus the cost of the
    elaborate modifications you would have to add, you could have the original
    woofers repaired or even completely reconed and/or rebuilt, very professionally.

If the resistors are burned they must be replaced, if they have just darkened a bit, I'm
    sure they will still be fine.
    The electrolytic capacitors may need replacing though, that would not be a surprise and it will, no doubt,
    clear up the treble.

Martin

• 06-10-2011 4:03 AM In reply to

Thanks Soren Mexico for the schematic - this will help a lot and thanks Martin for your input. As you may have guessed, I know little about speakers and as Martin guessed correctly, I paid more than 600UK pounds for the Seas drivers and add to that horrendous shipping charges to South Africa. Unfortunately I don't think we have a company in South Africa that can retore speakers professionally to such a high standard. I have learnt my lesson with a bad retoration project on these speakers recently. Shipping them offshore for restoration will most probably cost as much as a new set of speakers, which is not feasible.

It looks that I have no other option but to built my own speakers using the Seas units that I have ordered (they have not been shipped yet) and purchasing matching midranges and tweeters for the box design. Many thanks to all!

Now to find a good box design for these speakers................

• 06-10-2011 4:28 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Hi Jeanrick

I didn't realise you were from South Africa!! Nice to always meet fellow South African enthusiasts. There is a company in Durban that refurbish my woofers from my Bevox RL's. THey did a brilliant job. Extremely neat you can't even tell. I'm not sure where you are based.

Durban South Africa

• 06-10-2011 7:52 AM In reply to

Hi BenSA, many thanks - Am am based in Cape Town and would appreciate the name of the company. Sent me PM to jeanrick@telkomsa.net.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)