in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-12-2011 4:47 AM by Premiumverum. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-04-2011 4:53 AM

Oak M75's?!

Not quite an ebay listing, but on the Dutch 'marktplaats' (marketplace)

http://audio-tv-foto.marktplaats.nl/luidsprekers/454371045-stel-b-o-beovox-m75-boxen.html

Never seen those in anything other than rosewood before, probably quite a rarity?

• 06-04-2011 6:34 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Oak M75's?!

Yes, they are fairly rare in oak.
    And this pair looks to be in fine condition.

Martin

• 06-05-2011 5:20 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

I recently visited a guy off ebay who had B&O stuff everywhere. He had some gorgous S80.2's in oak I could not believe how nice they looked!

What really struck me was that the quality of the veneer around the edges (these were MINT) stood out much more than on rosewood and teak examples. Light shading I guess!

Very memorable seeing them though! They can't be common either!

Olly.

• 06-05-2011 5:37 PM In reply to

Step1:
    I recently visited a guy off ebay who had B&O stuff everywhere. He had some gorgous S80.2's in oak I could not believe how nice they looked!

I have a pair, unfortunately they are quite tatty with bad moisture damage on top of one, and with incorrect woofers. I've been wondering what I should do with them, they weren't expensive coming in either...

-mika

• 06-05-2011 5:55 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

If they were anything but oak I think you would have probably restored by now Mika, but I can't imagine something so light in shade being restored to look as good as they once were! I suppose it could make a good experiment. At the worst could you stain or paint Unsure

Olly.

• 06-05-2011 6:02 PM In reply to

I may eventually try to do something with them - as you probably guessed, I've tried the easy things already and they didn't improve much. Forgot to mention that they are also fretless and standless, so pretty much a lost cause anyway and open for experiments... If they looked better I might swap parts with my white 80.2's, but currently it seems the whites would fit better in any future setups I might come up with.

-mika

• 06-11-2011 8:08 PM In reply to

• RUDYV
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-31-2008
    • Belgium
    • Posts 52
    • Gold Member

Hi all,

M75’s in oak, I’ve never seen a pair.

So they must be rare and interesting for a B&O collector.

What to do?

They look very nice…..so I contacted the seller and a little later I was heading for the NL.

What a surprise when I saw the speakers.

From a distance they looked very nice.

Then the seller told me that he had glued some kind of plastic foil, imitation oak, on the cabinets to match the  interior of the house.

Nevertheless, he assured me that the veneer underneath the plastic foil, should be in very good condition.

Here I was, 150 km from home……no oak M75s…….what to do?

Let’s take the risk and take these nice looking M75s home.  

I couldn’t wait to see what was hiding underneath the oak foil, so I started to remove the plastic foil.

To my surprise the foil came off very easily.

The glue was another story. After I had the foil removed, all the sticky glue was still on the cabinets.

I tried several products, but thinner did the job .

2 hours later, the first cabinet  was finished.

The second cabinet I’ll leave for tomorrow.

Rudy

• 06-12-2011 4:47 AM In reply to

Hi Rudy,

So it was foil! That is a shame, though I think they look better in rosewood than oak. This one looks fab! Yes -  thumbs up

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)