in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-12-2011 3:44 PM by egoh. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-03-2011 6:04 PM

• egoh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-12-2011
    • Austin, Texas - USA
    • Posts 77
    • Gold Member

Beolab 4500 Heartbreak

Hi everyone :(

After years of searching, I finally found a great pair of Beolab 4500 and they just arrived via FedEx minutes ago. However, whoever boxes them up, took a razor to the polished and brushed metal of one of the speakers. My heart is aching...so sad since these were bought from the original owner who took great care of them. There are a few electronic issues (which I knew about in advance).

I think the seller used a shipping company to box them and I'm waiting to hear back from him. So sad and I'm not sure what to do.

• 06-03-2011 6:05 PM In reply to

• egoh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-12-2011
    • Austin, Texas - USA
    • Posts 77
    • Gold Member

Re: Beolab 4500 Heartbreak

Especially sad since they were double boxed:

• 06-03-2011 6:51 PM In reply to

I had the same with spareparts coming from Germany, a costums agent had to open the box for inspection, same kind of damage from a sharp knife, in this case the insurance paid and I got new ones.

For you its another matter, new ones from where, such a pitty, feeling very sorry for you, tell us how it goes.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 06-04-2011 2:07 AM In reply to

• egoh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-12-2011
    • Austin, Texas - USA
    • Posts 77
    • Gold Member

I'm working with the seller and he is being very helpful. Seems the company that packed it did in fact do the damage and not the seller. This is tough because even if I get some monetary compensation (partial refund), it's not the same as having an all original piece cosmetically. I'll know more tomorrow and I'll keep you guys posted.

• 08-11-2011 6:07 PM In reply to

• egoh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-12-2011
    • Austin, Texas - USA
    • Posts 77
    • Gold Member

I have no luck. I'm going to set the record for most number of damaged Beolab 3000/4500s. Look what FedEx just delivered/destroyed.

• 08-11-2011 11:38 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Ugh, such a shame.  I think your best bet for the mirrored panels may be to have a machine shop use a sheet metal press to crease some thin gauge aluminum panel and then polish them to a mirror shine, though you'll be left without the b&o etching.  Then again beovox 3500's aren't 'that' rare, and you could likely just wait to get your hands on a pair of those.

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 08-12-2011 4:21 AM In reply to

Terrible!

I would have cried if my Beolab 5000's would have arrived like that.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 08-12-2011 9:02 AM In reply to

Awful. This reminds me of a table I ordered from Denmark, it also was damaged quite badly when it was delivered. Super Angry Clearly the transport company was to blame. On the plus side, I could order a new table as it is still in production. You can't say the same with a Beolab 4500. I feel really sorry for you. Sad

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 08-12-2011 9:09 AM In reply to

• egoh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-12-2011
    • Austin, Texas - USA
    • Posts 77
    • Gold Member

Thanks everyone for the sympathy. I was really hoping for an original pair. The seller forgot to purchase insurance so he asked if a discount was acceptable. I took the deal since it would have cost almost $100 USD to ship them back anyway. I'll do my best restoring them, but still it's not the same. 

• 08-12-2011 10:19 AM In reply to

My advice - 

I know what it is like when you really want something for a long time and decide to treat yourself. Then something unfortunate happens such as the above which prevents you from "loving" your prized purchase. I think even if you sorted them out you will never feel the same about them.

I sometimes have it with cars - Accident damage drives me mad... If my car ever has to have paint it is usually sold within a few months because it bugs me so much!

If I were you, I would clean them up as best you can, sell them and buy a mint pair which are perfect from the start. I realise it will cost you more but you will definitely enjoy them alot more!

• 08-12-2011 10:50 AM In reply to

• egoh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-12-2011
    • Austin, Texas - USA
    • Posts 77
    • Gold Member

Llewelyn, I'm going to fix them since I have a soft spot for B&O stuff in need of repair as can be seen in this thread. Unfortunately, mint condition 4500s are really hard to come by in the States. That doesn't of course rule out an additional aquisition if I ever find a mint condition pair.

• 08-12-2011 11:56 AM In reply to

You all seem very quick to blame the shipping company.

Clearly, the shipping company did not cut the first pair. I suggest that the damage to the second pair was caused by insufficient/wrong type packaging to enable the items to withstand the rigours of the courier system.

I am not a lover of those polystyrene lumps, unless sufficient can be used to provide, I suggest,  at least 100mm cover, preferably more,  all around the item in question. I have found that they have a tendency to move in transit and allow the item to gradually move nearer to the bottom of the box. Either that, or an insufficient amount was placed under the item at the boxing stage.

Small bubble wrap is useless.

My favourite is the large bubble wrap and plenty of it. Again, where possible, I suggest at least 100mm cover, preferably more, all around the item, to provide the correct cushioning effect.

I have found that the number of boxings is largely irrelevant, it is the thickness of the padding that is the critical factor.

Get the packing/cushioning right and you can safely use any of the courier companies.

Regards Graham

• 08-12-2011 12:10 PM In reply to

• egoh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-12-2011
    • Austin, Texas - USA
    • Posts 77
    • Gold Member

The first pair wasn't damaged by FedEx at all. It was damaged by the company that packaged it (in this case, a 3rd party packing company hired by the seller), I think we're getting messed up with semantics. In the States we have companies that do packaging and act as agents for shipping companies such as UPS and FedEx. They admitted fault and agreed to pay for damages (although, there are no original parts to be sourced).

The blame for my second pair is shared with both the seller and FedEx. The seller added about 3" thick of large bubble wrap around each speaker as well was polysytyrene "peanuts." Unfortunately, he oriented the speakers vertically which allowed the weight to be placed on the corners of the speakers. FedEx also dropped the box and there is a good deal of evidence of this to the cardboard. However, FedEx isn't liable since the seller forgot to purchase insurance.

In any case, these speakers are difficult for inexperienced folks to ship. 

• 08-12-2011 3:36 PM In reply to

If you buy another pair, the amplifiers should be detatched and packed in another box.

Regards Graham

• 08-12-2011 3:44 PM In reply to

• egoh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-12-2011
    • Austin, Texas - USA
    • Posts 77
    • Gold Member

Absolutely agree, but realistically I think I'll try to find one within driving distance one day. I try to give as much direction as possible to the seller without assuming liablity for the packing process - but alas, it hasn't worked. Thanks for the packing tips though. Cheers!

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)