in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-10-2011 11:04 AM by Dillen. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-02-2011 6:53 AM

BEOGRAM CDX

Hello and help.  All the functions of my CDX player seem to work OK - CD spins when I press play - but absolutely no sound.

Any ideas as to what the fault might be and how expensive it's going to be to fix ? 

It's connected to a fairly old B&O music centre with phono plugs which itself is OK.

Thank you.

Peter

• 06-02-2011 7:09 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Re: BEOGRAM CDX

Hello,

Welcome to Beoworld!

It should be fairly straightforward, but you will have to open the beast!

Can you go through the different tracks and is the display okay?

It could be a reed relay (the ones in a glass capsule). Do you hear a small click when you power it on? Or when the ? symbol appears when there's no CD?

Also look for connector problems (bad joints, etc.) around the audio side (it could be as daft as that).

Have you had the CDX for long or is it a recent purchase?

Jacques

• 06-02-2011 10:34 AM In reply to

If She's  never "had a spanner on her",the usual suspects will need attention,and they are legendary poor solderings.This may well be all thats required.If you are not confident to delve inside,take the unit to someone with B&O experience.It should'nt be expensive,and well worth it.

Nick

• 11-09-2011 10:24 AM In reply to

Same problem here.    friend of a friend handed me it, and said here see if you can make this paperweaght work. 

So far, little tinkering last night, didn't see any solder connection issues(I did just read some stuff about the large solder blobs, have not done anything there yet)

plays CDs fine, skips tracks, display works as does eject etc...    I do get a little noise when it turns on and when the ?  is displayed

when playing I get some background noise and static from the audio output with the stereo turned up.  no music, just background static, and 'digital' noise when changing tracks etc.   SO it appears the preamp is working...  

• 11-09-2011 10:29 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Hi, and welcome!

So, do the "blobs" then!Whistle

Jacques

• 11-10-2011 10:10 AM In reply to

I will,   just wondering if there was any other common failure point I should look into. 

• 11-10-2011 11:04 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Those dreadful rivet vias.

And if you place the CDX ontop a strong magnetic field like f.e. an upside down Beovox M70 (with
    the woofer end upwards), the muting (reed) relays will activate.
    Don't ask how I know.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)