in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-01-2011 5:36 PM by beolion. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-31-2011 8:46 AM

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

HDMI over single Cat5

Kramer really do make some cracking baluns!

This model very compact and power only needed at one end!

http://www.kramerelectronics.co.uk/products/model.asp?pid=1608&sf=88#t

Just a little tip, always try before you buy to make sure your CAT5 cabling is up to scatch!

Could use the RF cable to send IR?

This model does RS232 and IR, but is larger and requires power both ends.

http://www.kramerelectronics.co.uk/products/model.asp?pid=1865&sf=88#t

• 05-31-2011 7:01 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

Re: HDMI over single Cat5

I would always use CAT6E or 7 for any of these solutions.

Also, Atlona makes some nice pieces that I've been using lately.  These things are seldom 100% reliable but the Atlona offerings are far more reliable than any other manufacturer I've used in the past.

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 06-01-2011 8:20 AM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

I would always use CAT6E or 7 for any of these solutions.

Also, Atlona makes some nice pieces that I've been using lately.  These things are seldom 100% reliable but the Atlona offerings are far more reliable than any other manufacturer I've used in the past.

Yes we have used the Atlona solution and yes it does work well. We would also suggest Cat6E, Cat7 or fibre (if appropriate).

The reason why we suggested the Kramer products is that many houses are pre-wired (rightly or wrongly) with Cat5 and cannot always  be re-wired. It can be the difference between making a sale or not!

Then again if the customer only had Coaxial cable you could even use this BRILLIANT product!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.keene.co.uk/electronic/aavara/hdmi-over-single-coax-cable-system/PCE122.html

• 06-01-2011 12:39 PM In reply to

The only solution I saw so far was from Marmitek. Same system, but over 2 CAT5's, and powered at the receiver. Which means you need to hide an extra adapter at the back of the TV.

So thanks for sharing this! Smile

• 06-01-2011 5:36 PM In reply to

I did actually made a small discrete box behind the TV where I hide different extenders. I am using a HDMI extender with 2 CAT6 cables, and also RJ45 extenders (3 with Cat5e) for Composite so I can use Link TV distribution. It works fine.
    My HDMI is for my BM5, and it does send up 1080 thru, however, in order to have a viewable size of folders and pictures from the BM5, I only use HD quality (720). Sound is send via SPDIF from the BM5.
    My dealer did not know about this RJ45 extender, and he was actually lucky that the 2 15 metres HDMI cales does work, they dont always do. The 15 metres HDMI cables are used for a Tvix mediaplayer and a DVB-C box.

There is something about B&O.....

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)