in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-03-2011 8:10 PM by Steffen. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-21-2011 3:33 PM

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

Tempted...very tempted

Nobody puts baby in the guest bedroom.

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 05-22-2011 3:49 PM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

Re: Tempted...very tempted

I used to own one of what's under it - a beautiful Tandberg TR-2075 Mk II Receiver.  Back in its day (mid-late 70's) their stuff was as goodlooking as B&O - perhaps better.  Great performance as well.

• 05-22-2011 4:15 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I say do it Rich! Then, paint it and your BC4500 lids white Stick out tongue

Evan

• 05-22-2011 8:33 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

@mediabobny - that is a beautiful piece.  Didn't know they made receivers back in the day.

@Evan - there will be no painting of the BC4500.  EVAR.  Actually, what I need to do on the 4500 is the double-sided tape repair.  Some day I'll do the search of the forums and figure out that fix.

I'm not sold on the 4500 cd player though, unless I decide to pull a Eugene and attempt to complete the set.  And I don't think I want a BM 4500 in the long run - just don't think I'd end up using it much. 

So - I need a B&O cd player for the Frankenbeosytem.  But which one to go after?  Surely any working B&O cd will be better than the $39 Magnavox DVD player currently occupying the top shelf of the Frankenbeosystem as a placeholder.  Any recommendations?

• 05-22-2011 8:55 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Member Chris (medogsfat) was the one who helped me get the right tape for my project, he will know the exact spec. And let me tell you, it is spot on!

I've never heard the amp section of my 4500. EVAR. Laughing I only use BeoLabs and other amps with it and it works wonderfully as a preamp. Just having the CD player and the Master looks great. I love having the Beo4 also. Even if its just to change the volume when listening to my iPod! You would be able to use that flashy Beo5 of yours!

The CDX seems to be the most popular stand alone cd player. I have a Magnetbox too Stick out tongue

Evan

• 05-23-2011 8:20 AM In reply to

CDX... put your hands on one in six days. Stick out tongue

• B&o bottle opener
  • 05-31-2011 12:14 AM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

burantek:

CDX... put your hands on one in six days. Stick out tongue

And I did!  Can't wait to play the sucker!

Since I went for Jaff's CD X, I did not bid on the CD 4500.  Final sale price for the CD 4500 was $177.50 but "reserve not met."  I don't understand the entire concept of the reserve.  Either start the bidding at your minimum level, or have not minimum!  How hard would that be?

• 06-02-2011 6:26 PM In reply to

Rich:

I don't understand the entire concept of the reserve.  Either start the bidding at your minimum level, or have not minimum!  How hard would that be?

-It's all psychology...Some people just skip the ad, if the entry-price is too high. More people are attracted to a low entry-price -and they start bidding. Some get so caught up in the game, that they maybe end up paying more than they originally intended. Why do you think Roulette, Blackjack, Poker etc. is so popular..? Wink

• 06-02-2011 6:59 PM In reply to

@ mediabobny: Do You really think that Tandberg's stuff was as goodlooking -or even better than B&O's in the seventies??? Huh?

Come on... In the mid-seventies B&O made the 1900/2400 series!!! And the classic 4000/4400...Even the "entry level" models, such as the 901/1100 or the 1400/1500 models were in a league of their own.
    This Tandberg looks very "japanese" or "american" to me...
    Just look at some high-end japanese gear from the era -or some Marantz receivers...hard to tell the difference.
    And the Tandberg cassette recorders...big, ugly boxes Ick!

But -it's a matter of taste...Wink

• 06-02-2011 10:30 PM In reply to

I would rather bid on the ugly ass old Tandberg. The mirror finish stuff with the white sidewalls just doesnt appeal to me.

• 06-03-2011 12:47 AM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

Um, Steffen, being Danish (note the caps) don't you think you might be a tad 'biased'?  (and I'll try to ignore your slur against Americans - apparently you've never seen McIntosh equipment).   And the cabinet on the Tandberg I showed a photo of is made of rosewood.  This reeks of Japan to you??

@Eugene - Yes -  thumbs up

• 06-03-2011 4:42 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

mediabobny:
    McIntosh equipment

+1

Cool

Evan

• 06-03-2011 8:10 PM In reply to

Yes - I might be a tad "biased" - but I can't help thinking why B&O survived, while hundreds of other european (and american) hi-fi and tv companys died. Quality can be build anywhere. You need a little more to survive in this crazy world, where low price is the mantra!
    (Yes, yes -I know that more and more B&O is build outside Denmark -but we still have a factory here).

By the way - back in the seventies, some japanese high-end manufacturers did make gear with wood-trim. To me this Tandberg still looks like something that could have been made in Japan...
    I have no intention to slur Americans. And Yes - I have seen McIntosh -and I'm not impressed... I'M TALKING ABOUT THE DESIGN -ALLRIGHT..? Wink Oh, my -look at those cheap plastic rocker switches... Looks like something you can buy in the local electronics store Ick! 
    You need to produce something that is different -really different... Not just another box with lots of knobs and buttons, with a rosewood (or whatever -wood) cabinet.

If I thought, that this Tandberg or that McIntosh was the greatest design, and B&O sucked, I would not be a member of this site...
    But that's just me...WinkWhistle

Steffen

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)