in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-21-2011 4:46 PM by Step1. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-19-2011 1:12 AM

A bargain - sadly.

I know there are few of us still using cassettes, but this recent sale on ebay shows just how little interest there is in the medium.  Arguably one of the best cassette decks ever produced, and certainly, along with the original BC5000,  B&Os best, it sold for a sum I would have paid for the box!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280675622942&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Cleve

• 05-19-2011 4:16 AM In reply to

Re: A bargain - sadly.

I agree!

But note, that this was a local pick up only -sale, and they do tend to get only the minimum of interest (and end price, as well).

-jari

• 05-19-2011 4:29 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Ironic that a non working version went for £100 late last year! You see, the financial 'good' times are gone, people are beginning to realise the real value of money once more and everyone's got a hangover with debt looming so money is tight. The value of useless but desirable items like this are the first to suffer I guess. Looks like I will be keeping mine (but wanted to anyway Laughing )

Olly.

• 05-19-2011 4:36 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Actually looking at the listing again apart from local pickup only the pictures were pretty poor and the description didn't do much for the sale lol!

I think they could have got a better price with a little more effort tbh!

Olly.

• 05-19-2011 5:16 AM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

Step1:

Actually looking at the listing again apart from local pickup only the pictures were pretty poor and the description didn't do much for the sale lol!

I think they could have got a better price with a little more effort tbh!

Absolutely Olly - I think you're right on both counts -

1) Prices are, without doubt, going in a southerly direction due to the general economic climate, which lets face it, is going to be grim for a prolonged period of time.

2) Also, I always find it surprising that people go to the bother of listing something, but then can't be bothered in taking decents photos and giving a bit of a "sell" in the text.

It's been sat in a loft for 25 years (went up there a year after being purchased for the equivalent of about £2k in today's money?????) and the seller can't be ar*ed to stick a plug on it to see if it works.... or maybe he remembers from 25 years ago it doesn't work...

As Jari says also, factor in local pick up only and I'm surprised it fetched as much as it did! (The winning bidder was prepared to pay more...)

Cheers

Nigel 

• 05-19-2011 6:58 AM In reply to

I don't believe it has much to do with the economic climate as cassette decks of any description have been a hard to sell item for many years.

How many people, out in the real world, still use cassette tapes??    Not many.

If they don't work, they are hardly worth fixing, as the associated costs will probably not be  recovered.

Regards Graham

• 05-19-2011 7:41 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

joeyboygolf:

I don't believe it has much to do with the economic climate as cassette decks of any description have been a hard to sell item for many years.

If they don't work, they are hardly worth fixing, as the associated costs will probably not be  recovered.

Nakamichi Dragon on the popular auction site.  8 bids, high bid $1,100 as I type this.

I'm just sayin'...

I have exactly 1 cassette tape, but I own 2 Beocords.  For me it's currently about completing the set, to which I have Eugene to blame.

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 05-19-2011 10:08 PM In reply to

Rich:

joeyboygolf:

Nakamichi Dragon on the popular auction site.  8 bids, high bid $1,100 as I type this.

I'm just sayin'...

I have exactly 1 cassette tape, but I own 2 Beocords.  For me it's currently about completing the set, to which I have Eugene to blame.

Just trying to pass the virus along Rich !!! I recently lucked into a windfall and have now doubled my cassette collection (12) plus I even have a few old stock blanks to play with.

Just bought a working Beocord 1600 - to complete the set.

• 05-19-2011 11:13 PM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

Somehow I knew that this one wouldn't sell.

• 05-20-2011 4:08 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Ugly as heck, and it looks like it doesn't have HXPRO, which I believe purists tend to snub!

You know that is the kind of thing you might see for a fiver at a car boot, will have to keep my eyes open :)

Rich:

joeyboygolf:

I'm just sayin'...

Olly.

• 05-21-2011 8:57 AM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

Step1:

Ugly as heck, and it looks like it doesn't have HXPRO, which I believe purists tend to snub!

You know that is the kind of thing you might see for a fiver at a car boot, will have to keep my eyes open :)

Rich:

joeyboygolf:

I'm just sayin'...

Olly, if you can find a Nak Dragon for a fiver, I'll gladly take it off your hands for a tenner!

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 05-21-2011 4:46 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Looks like he wasn't happy with the price and has now relisted! To make matters worse he has not taken the oppertunity to improve his listing and there are 3 of them on ebay at the same time now! How daft can people get Laughing

Olly.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)