in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-16-2011 2:44 PM by Larskoelle. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-15-2011 6:00 AM

Voltage and moving and replacing power supplies

Hiya,

I may move from Australia to the US and was wondering if it's possible to replace the power supplies in my equipment or if it would be better to sell it all here and rebuy it over there?  Anyone else ever had to deal with this?

• 05-15-2011 6:05 AM In reply to

Re: Voltage and moving and replacing power supplies

Depends completely on what you have. Some of the kit can be easily rewired for different voltages, some cannot and would require replacing complete modules.

Telephones are best left behind, TVs and other video stuff for the most part as well.

-mika

• 05-15-2011 6:18 AM In reply to

Ah good point.  Here's what I've got:

Beosound 4

BL4000

BL6000

BL3500

Beoport PC2

Beolink Active

I think that's everything.

• 05-15-2011 6:33 AM In reply to

Hi dilznik, 

I am confronting the same issue as it strongly looks like that I am moving from Germany to the US. As I am not 100% sure I am playing around with all the thoughts you could have in such a situation but my BEO equipment takes lots of that thoughts. 

My loved dealer here in Munich said that most of the stuff might work very well but I guess at least the TV will stay here in Germany. I am concerned that it will not survive the trip. Even though dealers are able to order original packaging for your equipment.

Beo Time, A8, EarSet3i, EarSet2, BC2, BC6, BL3, BL11, Apple TV1, BEO Ballpen, BL2000, BL3500

Christmas 2010 Prize Draw 1st winner. BeoSound 9000 Mk3 

Thank you

• 05-15-2011 6:51 AM In reply to

Hiya,

I already moved once from Munich (I use to go to the guy near Marienplz, he was great) to Australia and there was no problem with the shipping.  The only useful box I had was the one for the BL6000.  Everything else I just bubble wrapped and hoped for the best and it was fine.  The power wasn't a big deal since it's also 220 here.  Actually all I did was cut the Euro plugs off of my Monster Power strips and put Australian ones on them.  The B&O equipment all have the European plugs still.

For the US I think I was tossing up either selling and rebuying (would prefer not to), replacing the power supplies (surely the best option), or having 220 wired through whatever house I buy.  That would be handy but probably way too expensive.

• 05-15-2011 7:03 AM In reply to

Here's what I could work out from your list:

Beosound 4 - no detailed enough info in service manual (ask the dealer)

BL4000 - the main transformers would need replacing, standby transformers can be rewired

BL6000 - can be rewired with no component changes

BL3500 - all new transformers needed, probably not feasible

Beolink Active - apparently very easy to rewire

I couldn't find relevant info on the PC2. See the type sticker, if it says "100-240VAC" or something it can be used with no changes.

Anyway, the link boxes and possibly BS4 as well need so little power that you could run them through a step-up transformer. The BS4 might have issues with FM radio though.

-mika

• 05-15-2011 3:58 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

I work in North America and use B&O equipment shipped there from Switzerland.

Most of what you list will work correctly using a step-down electrical converter, including a Beosound 4. I would advise that his is the most simple and cost-effective solution to your problem, but include a good surge-protector into the equation for all of your B&O.

• 05-15-2011 5:17 PM In reply to

In the service-documentation is mentioned that BeoSound 4 can easily be converted from 220-240V to 100-120V by placing or removing a jumper in the Switch Mode Power Supply. With BeoLab 4000 it depends on what type you have, the first version with transformer or the latest version with Switch Mode Power Supply, which can be used on a mains between 100 and 240V without any modification.

• 05-15-2011 11:03 PM In reply to

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

I just converted the following products beolab 1, beolab 4000, beolab 4000, beolab 3500, beolab 2, beosound 9000, beosystem 3 from 120v to 220v for a client that moved to Thailand from the US. The beolab 1 requires a complete amplifier replacement. Cost about $300. Each Beolab 2 required main board and transformer replacement. $550. Beolab 6000 just requires rewiring transformers. Cost 0 Beolab 4000 old style require transformer and power supply board. Cost $125.each Beolab 3500 requires two transformers one for each side. Cost $320. Beoport requires a new pc board. Cost $255. Beosound 9000 requires transformer, main relay, power supply. Cost $370. Beosystem 3 power is controlled by a jumper but had to add PAL video board. Cost about $150. Add to these cost new power cords about $5.00 each Labor cost varies. If you need parts to do these conversions I have all the old US parts. Let me know if I can help you.

• 05-16-2011 2:44 PM In reply to

Hej expoman, 

Thank you very much for your listing, that helps a lot. 

Beo Time, A8, EarSet3i, EarSet2, BC2, BC6, BL3, BL11, Apple TV1, BEO Ballpen, BL2000, BL3500

Christmas 2010 Prize Draw 1st winner. BeoSound 9000 Mk3 

Thank you

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)