in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-22-2011 5:16 AM by Beolab. 57 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-16-2011 7:27 AM In reply to

Re: New Products

Good comment John.

After seeing the B&O video on their website it points out that ALL of their hifi (except BS8) and ALL of the loudspeakers are now manufactured in the Czech Republic.  Looks like the only things that are now assembled in Denmark are their televisions! Call me nostalgic, but I had this concept that B&O was in the Danes blood and that generations of them worked for them in Denmark. I'm sure it used to be like that :)

I agree with Jez on pricing. Id like to buy both the BS8 and BV10-32 but id want a good price if I was buying both together!

• 05-16-2011 7:34 AM In reply to

Jez - I agree I think the 'accessories' like the iPod and iPhone, I certainly like to change them every 1 or 2 years but my B&O's I do like to keep longer. Id want a BV10 to last a good 10 years (but the way technology is moving, it would be very old hat in 10 years I guess). The BS8 is quite iconic in design and I reckon it will still look good in 10 years time due to its retro image!

• 05-16-2011 8:33 AM In reply to

Actually I do not really care if B&O products are build in Denmark or in czech republic as long as they are of good quality and are B&O. In Dk labor costs are at least 3times higher then in CZ, so it is very reasonable to produce there.

B&O is special because of Design, quality and features. Being "danish" is not a relevant product specifics for me. You also buy an iPhone because of Design, Uniquness and quality and not because it is made in USA (it is China, as we all know).

BeoVision 8-40 / BeoVision 8-32 / Beovision 6-26 / BeoSound 3200 / BeoSound 1 / BeoLab 3 /  Beolab 6000 / Beolab 2000 / Beoport / Beomedia 1 / 3* Beo4 /BeoCom 5 with VOIP

• 05-16-2011 9:36 AM In reply to

Michael:

Speaking of new equipment, how about a new answering machine?  How do you Beoworlders record voice mail messages on your home phones at the moment (say if you have a BeoCom 5)?

An answering machine? Who's still using a landline? Dished mine 5y ago!

What would be innovative is making the BeoCom 5 VoIP (=100% SIP compatible) without the need of a ATA. That would be a hit! Not only in the domestic market but also on the corporate market!

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 05-16-2011 1:08 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Of all the B&O tv's ever, the BeoVision 9 was my all-time favorite. I was genuinely sad to see it go.

But the BeoVison 10-32 really has my attention. I love the white fret and manageable size. It seems perfect!

Evan

• 05-16-2011 2:05 PM In reply to

Hi Evan - Yep im loving the BV10-32 even more than the BV5/BV9.   I love the white speaker grille and also the orange one too as orange is my ultimate favourite colour!   I had a play with a white iPad2 this weekend - really impressed!

• 05-16-2011 2:59 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I am definitely a fan of the orange, but my system is predominantly white and I would like to have a complete look. I would probably have both frets anyway! To me, the 5/9 have so much more substance. Who knows, my taste will probably change entirely by the time I get a chance to buy a B&O tv.

Re: your earlier posts on the BS8, I think I would only get one if I had an iPad. I like the thought of one, but I have a dock that goes straight into my BeoSystem so having a BS8 would be a total waste. If I had the chance [and means], I would probably buy a BS1 over the BS8.

Evan

• 05-16-2011 3:33 PM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

Heribert:

Actually I do not really care if B&O products are build in Denmark or in czech republic as long as they are of good quality and are B&O. In Dk labor costs are at least 3times higher then in CZ, so it is very reasonable to produce there.

B&O is special because of Design, quality and features. Being "danish" is not a relevant product specifics for me. You also buy an iPhone because of Design, Uniquness and quality and not because it is made in USA (it is China, as we all know).

I'm of the same opinion to an extent. Parts made elsewhere sure. As a flagship brand though it's a little borderline. Would you buy a Ferrari if it was designed in Italy but made in a different Country or would your buy a Swiss designed watch that was made in China? I know BMW produce most of thier cars elsewhere in South Africa and save the local production in Baveria for thier Flagship 7 seriers and M seriers.

• 05-17-2011 1:18 AM In reply to

Jez:

I'm of the same opinion to an extent. Parts made elsewhere sure. As a flagship brand though it's a little borderline. Would you buy a Ferrari if it was designed in Italy but made in a different Country or would your buy a Swiss designed watch that was made in China? I know BMW produce most of thier cars elsewhere in South Africa and save the local production in Baveria for thier Flagship 7 seriers and M seriers.

Wrong. BMW produces all their "traditional" car programs (1 series, 3 series, 5 series, 7 series) in Germany. The SUVs are produced in the US and in Germany, the Z4 roadster is produced in the US. No BMW that you can buy in Germany is made anywhere in Africa or Asia. 

• 05-17-2011 2:55 AM In reply to

Jez:

Beoboiinoz:

Same with a Beovision 8-40 - made somewhere in Asia, not Struer I a believe (?).  

#1 I think it's made in the factory they set up in The Czech Republic, i'm not 100% sure on that.

#2 My point is why then don't they make more products aimed at a slightly cheaper price point? I'm not saying cheapen the brand by making throw away items and manufacture everything in China but I believe BeoVision 8, BeoTime and BeoSound 8 are big sellers. I can't imagine BV4 103" and 85" will sell like hotcakes.

#3 Smaller items like BS 8, headphones or maybe offering people who by a BV8 a speaker package! Like if you buy a BV8 you can get 4 BL4's and a BL11 sub for a package price that is far cheaper than buying them all separate.

#1 It is  made in the Czech Republic. but still a great product. Yes -  thumbs up

#2 If B&O did´nt make those big, provocative and expencive products what would the brand be then ??? A brand like that has to have big "dream" products. Take for example Audi.... would they sell allot af the A3/A4 series. if they didn´t have the A6/A8 or the R8?...

#3 I agree on that. They allready had a similar "bargain" where they gave 25% discount on BL4000/6000/8000 speakers for a period of time. But the package discount would be a seller allso Wink

• 05-17-2011 3:18 AM In reply to

Karel Uyttendaele:

An answering machine? Who's still using a landline? Dished mine 5y ago!

What would be innovative is making the BeoCom 5 VoIP (=100% SIP compatible) without the need of a ATA. That would be a hit! Not only in the domestic market but also on the corporate market!

What I miss with the BEOCOM 5 is the Caller identification. Mine does not show who is calling - a feature every cheap phone can do. The VOIP is no big deal for me as I already have an ATA. 

An answering machine as feature in Beocom5 would be nice as well

BeoVision 8-40 / BeoVision 8-32 / Beovision 6-26 / BeoSound 3200 / BeoSound 1 / BeoLab 3 /  Beolab 6000 / Beolab 2000 / Beoport / Beomedia 1 / 3* Beo4 /BeoCom 5 with VOIP

• 05-17-2011 3:51 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

Heribert:

What I miss with the BEOCOM 5 is the Caller identification. Mine does not show who is calling - a feature every cheap phone can do. The VOIP is no big deal for me as I already have an ATA. 

An answering machine as feature in Beocom5 would be nice as well

Isn't the caller ID based on your phone provider not the phone itself?  

I haven't got rid of my home phone as I love having a fixed line and a mobile, maybe it's a luxury now a days lol.  I also like having an answering machine.  I have no interest in VOIP.  What's an ATA?

• 05-17-2011 4:03 AM In reply to

Michael:
    I haven't got rid of my home phone as I love having a fixed line and a mobile, maybe it's a luxury now a days lol.  I also like having an answering machine.  I have no interest in VOIP.  What's an ATA?

You can use an ATA to connect the Beoline 2 to the Internet Router. It more or less translates the telephone signal into a VOIP signal. Since I have the Beocom5 I use mainly VOIP. The connections are very good and cost much less then normal calls over the landline.

• 05-17-2011 4:05 AM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

didole:

Jez:

Wrong. BMW produces all their "traditional" car programs (1 series, 3 series, 5 series, 7 series) in Germany. The SUVs are produced in the US and in Germany, the Z4 roadster is produced in the US. No BMW that you can buy in Germany is made anywhere in Africa or Asia. 

SORRY, this is what Wikipedia has to say:

Production by country

CountryMake20062008Models
    Germany BMW 905,057 901,898 Others
    Mexico BMW 1,500 100,000[18] BMW X3, X5, 3, 5, 7-series
    Russia BMW 1,500 2,000 BMW X5, X6, 5-series
    United Kingdom Mini 187,454 235,019 All Minis
    Rolls-Royce 67 1,417 All Rolls-Royce
    Austria BMW 114,306 82,863 BMW X3
    USA BMW 105,172 170,741 BMW X5, X6
    South Africa BMW 54,782 47,980 BMW 3-Series
    Total 1,366,838 1,439,918

BMW also has local assembly operation using complete knock down components in Thailand, Russia, Egypt, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Chennai, India for 3, 5, 7 series and X3.[19]

That's roughly 100,000 units in 2 years, along with many other countries! I clearly see 3 series made in South Africa along with many components being made in Indonesia, Malaysia, Chennai and India!

• 05-17-2011 4:32 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

Jez:

LOL.  Who ever believes what wiki has to say.  A lecturer friend of mine loves giving D's on students assignments who quote Wiki as a reference.  

Australia used to do KDK (knock down kits) in other cars years ago.  My 1 series is made in Germany.  

The actual company site for you fellow BM fans may be of interest http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/nav/index.html?../0_0_www_bmwgroup_com/home/home.html&source=overview

Cheers

MH

• 05-17-2011 5:12 AM In reply to

Michael:

Jez:

LOL.  Who ever believes what wiki has to say.  A lecturer friend of mine loves giving D's on students assignments who quote Wiki as a reference.  

Australia used to do KDK (knock down kits) in other cars years ago.  My 1 series is made in Germany.  

The actual company site for you fellow BM fans may be of interest http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/nav/index.html?../0_0_www_bmwgroup_com/home/home.html&source=overview

Cheers

MH

They do produce cars in Russia....

http://www.insideline.com/bmw/7-series/bmw-7-series-to-return-to-production-in-russia.html

Cheers

-Dimitris

• 05-17-2011 5:34 AM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

Michael:

Jez:

Cheers

MH

Maybe Wiki isn't the greatest source but bmwgroup site states the following:

The Rosslyn plant, near Pretoria, South Africa, was the BMW Group's first foreign location. Circa 2,000 employees manufacture up to 49,029 units of the BMW 3 Series Sedan per year. A quarter of these automobiles are sold in South Africa; three-quarters of them are exported.

The BMW Group was one of the pioneers during the politically instable years of the slow break-up of apartheid. It took specific measures against racial segregation, job discrimination, and unjust compensation. Despite the occasionally precarious situation, BMW was always able to provide jobs. The BMW Group's social commitment in schools and pre-schools, cooperation with local governments and government agencies have become a permanent part of daily operations.

• 05-17-2011 8:47 AM In reply to

aren´t you a litle bit off topic?

• 05-17-2011 2:32 PM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

I sure am but this thread went off topic donkies agoBig Smile

• 05-17-2011 3:16 PM In reply to

I was at my local dealer this morning ( Knightsbridge ) & they told me that there will be 3 x 3d bno tv's out July / August this year , the bv 7 is the one to look out for he said.

Got a demo of the 7/40 & the stunning 7/55

The 55 is simply a masterpiece imo.

Imagine THAT in 3d !!!

• 05-17-2011 3:33 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

I accept B&O is a premium product, but every manufacturer of such products has an entry level product. The Beovision 8 isn't that product. Making whats at best a "transient" technology in 3D is nice, but a waste of recourses, and bad long term thinking in my book. Take a leaf out of the Beosound 8's book. Twice as good as some of its competitors, but not 7-10 times the cost!

And thats where the future customers will come from. Not only new to B&O ,but new types of people to B&O in respect of their backgrounds or demographics.

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 05-17-2011 5:27 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Flappo:

I was at my local dealer this morning ( Knightsbridge ) & they told me that there will be 3 x 3d bno tv's out July / August this year 

Yep, these are just 3D versions of the existing BV7's, unless I'm mistaken?

Not sure if I'd bother upgrading my BV7-40 to a 3D version. I'd only be interested if there was a panel between 40" and 55", and there won't be. No idea why there's a BV10-40/BV7-40 and a BV10-55/BV7-55, but no BV10-46/BV7-46. Surely they must be using the same panel(s) going forward, so economies of scale would enable a BV7-46. I guess it's the need to produce yet another BL7.x speaker that is prevening this.

• 05-17-2011 6:27 PM In reply to

Does anyone know if the current BeoSystem 3 will be upgradeable to 3D or will it be necessary to buy the new BeoSystem 3 3D? It would seem that the big obstacle is the lack of HDMI 1.4.

• 05-18-2011 12:40 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

Jez:

I think you're comparing apples to oranges here.  There's a very large demand for luxury automobiles.  Ferrari doesn't need to worry about outsourcing manufacturing because there's always a demand for their product regardless of price.  Furthermore, buyers are always prepared to make a significant investment in an automobile.  Same applies to watches and jewelry.  Consumer electronics is a completely different animal.  Bang & Olufsen is simply doing exactly what they need to do to remain competitive in a rapidly changing market.

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 05-18-2011 12:47 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

Technically yes but you're talking about a gigantic waste of money.  You're essentially buying almost all the non-cosmetic parts and paying for the labor for your System 3 to be rebuilt from the ground up while still keeping your original (and possibly expired) warranty.  You're better off selling your BeoSystem 3 second hand and spending the extra cash on a System 3D with a new guarantee Wink

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
Page 2 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >