in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-14-2011 11:38 PM by Søren Mexico. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-13-2011 3:17 PM

Another channel failing on my Beomaster 6000?

Hi,

I have a 4 channel Beomaster 6000 (together with it's tangential beogram brother), which I have enjoyed since acquiring them at a miraculous price a couple of years ago. However, I've only been able to run the amp, up to this point, as a stereo amp using the rear two channels, as one of the front channels was completely non-functioning.

Now just recently I've noticed that one of my rear channels also appears to be failing. It's noticeably quieter than the other, and completely lacking in bass. This is consistent across all inputs and the tuner, and if I swap the speaker connections in the amp, the problem passes to the other speaker - thus eliminating the speaker and the cable from being faulty.

Now... i'd hate to consign this wonderful amp to the cupboard, or allow it to become an exquisitely designed doorstop, so does anyone have any suggestions as to where the fault may lie? Difficult, I know, just based on the symptoms I can describe. However, my first thought (as a completely untrained and experimental home-soldering-iron-weilder) was that it's probably one of the 8 huge transistors attached to the heatsink at the back that's failing....

In these times of austerity I really can't afford to send it for repair, so any guidance on what the prob might be and advice for attempting to fix it myself would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Owen 

Filed under:
  • 05-14-2011 5:38 AM In reply to

• geearr
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Gold Coast, Australia
    • Posts 301
    • Gold Member

Re: Another channel failing on my Beomaster 6000?

Hi Owen

Take a look at my "6000 quad project".  I think that I have got the same problem with a failed amplifier.  It looks like it will be a big task to fix it but I am going to give it a very good try.  As you say, too nice a unit to consign to the scrap heap.  You will need some basic measuring equipment though because you won't be able to do this one blind folded.

Regards

Geoff

• 05-14-2011 1:31 PM In reply to

Ha, you've ventured deeper into your BM6000 than I've dared upto this point! I've got into mine as far as replacing indicator lamps, visually checking the most easy to access components, and squirting some switch cleaner into the pots. I have a multimeter, although not much use for checking the transistors unless I know the pinouts of them. Had had a chat with a neighbour today who knows a bit or two about electronics - he seems to reckon the most likely culprit is the capacitors - which he says tend to have a service life of 10,000 hours. I think I'm going to open the beast back up again and go for a visual check of the capacitors I can get to. Particularly those massive ones under the sliding tapes.

You'll be able to tell from my language and descriptions that electronics is certainly not an area of expertise for me. I'll happily repair/replace bits if I can see obviously what's going wrong, but if it comes down to trying to trace a signal path through an amplifier board, as you describe doing with yours, then that's beyond my meagre capabilities I think!

• 05-14-2011 4:10 PM In reply to

Okay - no more help required. Unfortunately I've just fried the amp.

Working on it live, prised out the amplifier board and something shorted. Sparks and crackles ensued, and now i have minuscule output on all channels. I'm now abandoning all hope of repair and have sadly consigned the BM 6000 to the cupboard.

To be fair, the amp has always been the weak link in my set up. I think it's been on the way out ever since i've been using it. Muddy sounding, and lacking in clarity.

I still have my Beogram 6000, and Beovox 5700 speakers - all of which I've just hooked up to a modern amplifier (RIAA built in, so no phono preamp needed) and it actually sounds better than it ever has. Doesn't look as nice as before, but I think the best bits of the setup are now able to perform properly.

And at least finally I can plug things in with nice, normal RCA connectors instead of faffing around with horrible DIN plugs.... A feint silver lining maybe, but I guess that's that.

Thanks for the help.

Anyone want to buy a blown BM 6000?!

Owen

• 05-14-2011 6:17 PM In reply to

• geearr
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Gold Coast, Australia
    • Posts 301
    • Gold Member

Hello Owen

Sorry to hear your bad news.  That amplifier board is a very risky thing to work on live and it is essential to put in place some extra isolation before powering up.  It certainly sounds as if you have doubled up on the number of problems that you had in the first place.  Did you refit everything and check all of the fuses after the big bang or has it been well and truly fried?

I would have liked to take that unit from you just to boost my spares stock but I get the feeling that you are too far away from Oz.  At 16kg, the transport costs are going to be prohibitive.  Anyhow, there is always an outside chance that you can get it work again.

Have fun

Regards

Geoff

• 05-14-2011 11:38 PM In reply to

Hi Owen, I was following this thread with great interest, sorry it didn't work out, put it in the cup board, and in a couple of month you will try again just to know, what went wrong.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)