in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-13-2011 7:17 AM by Raeuber. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-12-2011 10:35 AM

I'm angry and upset and its not even mine!

Hi all,

Sorry its been what feels like years since my last post, maybe it has, anyway... look what I just saw!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bang-and-Olufsen-Avant-32-Beovision-TV-B-O-VCR-/280672689468?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Televisions&hash=item4159655d3c&autorefresh=true#ht_500wt_919

I know its a CRT and not the RF version and its the VCR... anyway, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the seller! He even included the beo4 remote!

This is ridiculous!

• 05-12-2011 10:52 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Re: I'm angry and upset and its not even mine!

What has killed the listing stone dead is the fact it's collection only from Fraserburgh..  It's miles from anywhere! Sad

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 05-12-2011 11:00 AM In reply to

True, but you would have thought that from the people bidding for it would have bid a bit more?

• 05-12-2011 11:21 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Not at all unfortunately.  We sell Avants on ebay like this for £95 now - and they don't always find buyers at that.

CRT's are very sadly 'out of fashion' as a lounge TV.  It's flatscreen or nothing - even if quality suffers.

I'd put it down to fashion.  Not always practical, not always fit for purpose - but fashionable, so people buy them..

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 05-12-2011 11:25 AM In reply to

Fair enought I guess... 

• 05-12-2011 11:38 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Yep, seems that as long as you can hang it on the wall at neck aching heights, where everyone who drives down your road can see it then that is all that matters these days!

I would love to have seen HD CRT's compete with flatscreens and Samsung nearly had a rival to the panels about 5 years ago, but what with all the issues they had with the super flat tube and the fact it was just too late to the market, they seemed to die a death. Shame as a decent working example had a super picture!

Olly.

• 05-12-2011 11:47 AM In reply to

Step1:
    Shame as a decent working example had a super picture!

Agreed.

I had a Philips 32" HD CRT Flat, bought new about 9 years ago. It probably had the most stunning image I have ever seen on any TV, B&o or not.

I paid ~$1500USD on sale from about ~$2000USD as I recall.

I gave it away not a month ago to the first person willing to lug it out of my sight.

Whether the new panel TV's have a better picture or not -they certainly weigh a lot less and take up so (relative) little space.

When my Avants finally give up... I will use the chassis to mount a commercial Panny panel and toss the tube out.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 05-12-2011 4:28 PM In reply to

True that human beings gravitate to the latest and greatest, to whatever's in fashion at a certain period in time. Flat screens are not popular just due to "fashion", they're also more practical (lighter and taking up less space, use less energy). And by virtue of taking up less space, people tend to buy bigger screens these days (a decade ago 28" was considered big, now you have to go 40" or larger). And with more and more channels broadcast in HD, the quality penalty for SD channels is less and less consequential.

Unfortunately I don't think CRT's will be like the gramophone and have a revival in the future. Prices will keep on plummeting. My family has a two-decade-old MX that still works (except the swivel). We keep it as a "reminiscence" item.

Leo

BV 10-40, BV 8-32, BL 9, BL 4, CX100, BS Ouverture, BS 2000, BG 4500, Passive, LC 1, A 9

• 05-12-2011 4:36 PM In reply to

I had to sell my avant 32 dvd for £250 and that was a trade in price!  Also included a remote for that!  A sign of the times I'm afraid

• 05-12-2011 4:43 PM In reply to

Nickyg63:

I had to sell my avant 32 dvd for £250 and that was a trade in price!  Also included a remote for that!  A sign of the times I'm afraid

Those are at 1000e asking price over here... And sells too! 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 05-12-2011 4:52 PM In reply to

bayerische:

Question of availability I think... there's very little to choose from if you want one, and apparently some people still do.

Wouldn't mind one myself, but I don't have nearly enough expendable friends to use them for carrying that kind of stuff around too often Big Smile

-mika

• 05-12-2011 5:08 PM In reply to

tournedos:

bayerische:

Question of availability I think... there's very little to choose from if you want one, and apparently some people still do.

Wouldn't mind one myself, but I don't have nearly enough expendable friends to use them for carrying that kind of stuff around too often Big Smile

Indeed, I would never shell out 1K for a CRT... What I do miss is that AV9000 I had "reserved" for 150e, but sold nevertheless to another person right in front of my eyes.... Laughing

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 05-12-2011 6:05 PM In reply to

• Hubbe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-03-2011
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

I´ve seen that they sell Beovision Avant 32 DVD RF for around 1000 Euro. Some people still buy them. In fact I am thinking of buying one later version myself. You get really good picture and sound quality for the money. I still have my Beovision AV9000. Probably not worth much today. I could not care less. I will probably keep it even though it´s obsolete in many ways.

Personaly I don´t have any need for a new flatscreen tv except when I use my PS3 and the latest games. Now I am to old to play games. I just accept that a CTR tv can´t play the full picture quality that todays game can offer.

• 05-13-2011 2:46 AM In reply to

I have two avant dvd 28 - one with sky hd and one with bt vision.

Both connected with a decent scart.  The picture is better (in all respects other than size) than ANY panel TV in the houses of friends / relatives.

one is stand alone, the other has lab6000/4000 for dss.  the sound on both is also better than any other i hear in local systems.

Being ex-industry, I have seen panels that rival crt, but the point is I've yet to see one domestically.  Most people I know have dumped crt in favour of supermarket lcd's.  Most have an OK picture and woeful sound.

Shame - but the Avant is really a legacy product nowadays - but i must say that if you have the space, and can buy one for maybe £150 - £250, I wouldn't hesitate.

• 05-13-2011 5:29 AM In reply to

I remember when I had my Avant, friends commented on how nice the picture is. Even my parents who don't care about TV etc ended up buying an Avant as well, it was simply too amazing to miss.

When I brought the same friends around and at this point I had upgraded to a BeoVision 7-40 MK3 (still have), the first thing they said, "oh, the older TV was better" loool. They meant picture quality but regardless, you get my drift... and the BV7-40 MK3 is definately not a bad TV!

• 05-13-2011 5:44 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Sold my avant a while ago for 300 Euro (VCR / RF). Kept it in the home office, but it was just too big for the small room, otherwise I would have kept it (as a design object...).

Sound was great for a tv, for sure.

But even a bigger picture can be (nearly) as good as the avant one - I own a Pioneer Kuro 50" that does reallay good scaling of pal / ntsc formats. Can be isf calibrated as well.

Visitors are alway impressed by the picture since most of them got the supermarket tvs.

And don't forget: now that hd (bluray, sky etc.) is here, it makes sense to have an hd tv, too.

Ralf

PS: Soundwise a dolby digital amp + 5.1 speakers is a must ;-)

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 05-13-2011 6:18 AM In reply to

My Avant from Feb 2003 is still going strong in the front room , while in other rooms I've had several Sony's , Philips etc that have come and gone in the meanwhile.

This TV really is a stunning piece of equiopment even now , the only thing that lets it down are the connections . No Hdmi's ..

I'd love to be able to connect an Apple tv Mk2 to it , but it's impossible sadly. Maybe I can convince everyone that we need a bv7 ? 

Any idea when new tv's are coming out from bno ??

• 05-13-2011 7:17 AM In reply to

Hi Flappo,

I have my Avant since 1998 and I am still happy with this excellent TV.

Apple TV 2? No problem, you can connect it via scart by using a converter like this:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B002CBN81S/ref=oss_product

Regards

Räuber

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)