in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-11-2011 4:54 PM by Puncher. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-08-2011 2:10 PM

BL4 make sense?

Hi,

I am the lucky owner of a second hand BV 7-40 which comes with a bl 7.2 speaker. I convinced my wife (WAF - wife approval factor) when I show her the advantages of having less cable and everything integrated (inbuilt DVD used as audio cd player as well)

I would like to add some sound richness/immersion to the setup both for movie and for music.

As the room is not very large and in the aim of having (almost invisible) small speakers, i am wondering whether a pair of the so often critized BL4 makes sense

I know these are considered as subquality speakers but are they really so bad? Maybe compared with other b&o products (even against a pair of 4000 or 6000) but is it worse than having nothing more than my actual set up?

Would I hear more stereo/3D effects or would it be completly lost behind the sound of my actual speaker?

As the chidren are sleeping not very far i am not used to high volume level so max. output watt is not a concern.

Or maybe is the BL11 a more clever choice for the almost same budget.

Thanks for your

Greg
  • 05-08-2011 2:20 PM In reply to

Re: BL4 make sense?

Hi,

I have a pair of BeoLab 4 on my desk at work and they surprise most people by their sound.

In your setup, I would say they could be a good option as the surround speakers in a 5.1 system, however as main speakers with such a powerful center BeoLab, they would probably be left behind.

If you had a subwoofer, it would be quite a different story and they would become the perfect choice, I think, since they are the most compact BeoLab and would not have to struggle with bass reproduction.

If you can, I would suggest getting a pair of second-hand BeoLab 4000 Mk1, that would be a step ahead.Smile

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 05-08-2011 6:09 PM In reply to

What is it that you are looking for? A small surround sound system? Than in a small setup they are fine (especially taken into account that the sound the will generate is supportive to a movie most of the time). I uses BL-4000, but honestly they are overkill if your room is really small and/or your are playing at low volume

The BL11 is lovely but just for adding bass, either in a surround setup or for music.

In your case I would discuss this with the dealer and pending your preferences ask one (or both Wink) set(s) for demo at home.

The suggestion done by  Chrisreunion is a good alternative approach as well.

• 05-08-2011 10:20 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

You have a very good speaker with your current A/V description.

If you desire more bass, in a 3-D situation, then select a BL 4000.

If you desire more treble over bass, select a BL 4.

Both selections work fine placed behind you for a surround effect. If you mount the BL 4 to the wall or ceiling it sounds a little better, using the mounting surface as a sounding board.

• 05-11-2011 10:06 AM In reply to

thanks everyone for your interesting comments.

based on your replies, it seems a nice combo could be to add a BL11 for bass and a pair of BL4 for more stereo effect. would you think it makes more sense to add the pair of BL4 behind me (wireless or not) than in front of me (left and right of my tv) ? .

• 05-11-2011 4:16 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I wouldn't think of adding BeoLab 4s when using a BeoLab 7 as a centre channel. The BeoLab 7 is quite simply a vastly superior speaker in every way (except size and price).

BeoLab 4000s are more like it, but 4s? Absolutely not (in my books, having owned a pair too)!

Just my 2c.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-11-2011 4:54 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Alex:

I wouldn't think of adding BeoLab 4s when using a BeoLab 7 as a centre channel. The BeoLab 7 is quite simply a vastly superior speaker in every way (except size and price).

BeoLab 4000s are more like it, but 4s? Absolutely not (in my books, having owned a pair too)!

Just my 2c.

I couldn't see BL4's as anything more than rears. If you have a requirement for small speakers for front L&R then BL3's are much more sensible. They can then be moved to more than capable "rear" service should you ever upgrade the front speakers in the future.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)