in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-09-2011 3:25 PM by tournedos. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-07-2011 1:07 AM

WOW! a B&O Must Have

Ever seen this?Smile

B&O item 1, B&O item 2, B&O item 3,...................B&O item 735

Beovirus? What's that?

• 05-07-2011 3:16 AM In reply to

Re: WOW! a B&O Must Have

Yes! I have a couple! Very useful especially if you have your equipment in a stand like the 8000 system. It means you only need one mains lead! In the UK it also means you don't have to cut off the original 2 pin plugs.

I don't suppose audiophiles regard them with much affection though - they don't cost £1000 a metre!

• 05-07-2011 3:46 AM In reply to

I junk these crappy old 0-class extension leads all the time. Now I know where they end up. Big Smile

These cost less in Finland, new in the store...

-mika

• 05-08-2011 3:32 PM In reply to

• AT
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 187
    • Founder

Note: The mentioned extension lead has "continental" connections with a british connector ;) It's not a big deal, but it's not the same You sampled ;)

• 05-08-2011 3:50 PM In reply to

Of course not, but then you just replace the plug. I guess the brits are very experienced at that Big Smile

A lead with similar connection arrangement as shown in the auction would be basically illegal over here, because it would allow old 0-class equipment (with a round non-earthed plug) to be used in rooms that require earthed mains wiring, where they would not be safe. I strongly suspect it is self-made as well.

-mika

• 05-09-2011 4:39 AM In reply to

Maybe these are not seen in Europe but in the UK they were supplied when you bought a system. The equipment all came with 2 pin european style plugs which would not work in the UK so instead of changing the plug, which would be illegal as the mains plug has to be a moulded plug, B&O supplied one of these. As Peter says, they are very useful indeed as it means that your 5000-7000 stack system or indeed the earlier set ups from the 80's like the 6000 or 8000 would only use one plug socket. If I needed one I would pay a fiver for it.

• 05-09-2011 5:06 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Most vintage B&O systems you find in the UK have had their rather nice 2-pin plugs removed and had either normal plugs attached or these crappy square (I think made by masterpieceofcrud or some similar name) one-off 3-pin mini plugs with 4-way extension. Pointless with class II equipment but I guess an 'extra' chargeable service offered at the time.

Olly.

• 05-09-2011 3:25 PM In reply to

beaker:
    If I needed one I would pay a fiver for it.

But I bet you'd still rather have one of these Smile

Those ancient extension leads actually have one advantage (unless you have kids) - they don't have those pesky child protection mechanisms. I actually once had a wall wart type power supply disintegrate in my hands when I tried to coerce it out from one of those! Exposed live wires were left sticking out...

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)